1077xl vs 2027x vs 8527 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

1077xl vs 2027x vs 8527

Ive been looking for a 7 string for some time and have chosen to import one from japan. The three ones mentioned in the topic are on the top of my list atm. All 3 appeal to me for different reasons, however due to my location i am unable to have the oppurtunity to play either of these guitars before purchasing and am hoping someone on the forum could give me some advice to what guitar would be best suited to my requirements. I play in a modern (NOT nu) metal band with influences ranging from old school thrashmetal to grindcore to fear factory right through to my biggest influence - meshuggah. My playing is not limited to just metal but that is to be the primary use for this 7 string - i want a tight heavy ballsy sound, but without muddiness that i have encountered on other 7's (rg7620 sounded very muddy through my jcm200tsl). Is the j-custom worth the additional money when compared to the other 2? how would most of you rate the 2027 if it werent for the piezo, as i dont NEED a piezo guitar output - although it would be a nice bonus, im more concerned with how the guitar itself plays and sounds. I have heard nothing but good things about the 2027 on this forum.. but is it suitable for *metal? And finally how does the rg1077xl compare to the 2027 in both feel (is the extra length too much for the hands?) and sound.
P.S. if i decide to purchase a 2027 i would most defintly take out the stock pups and put some Dimarzios in (unsure which model, although i read on another post about another member who put on a set of dimarzios similar to the gibson 500T/496R combo, which i have on my les paul studio lite and LOVE.. so that seems a likely option)

Thankyou very much for your time..
cheers n beers
Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 06:06 PM

1077xl vs 2027x vs 8527

Search the forum for more info on those guitars (richly available in the 7-string section) . They are all very fine axes, it all depends on personal preference.

It's too bad you cannot try those guitars before you buy, because that's the only way you can determine which axe suits you best.

If you want to get rid of the muddiness you encounter on "other" seven strings, I suggest you try the RG1077XL. The 27" scale of this guitar provides higher string tension in very low tunings "so everything stays nice, tight and clear".
For most people, the longer scale doesn't cause any problems regarding stretching of fingers, etc. But then again, it all depends on how YOU feel with it.

You say you don't need a piezo output, so I don't think the 2027 will be of use for you. (Although a very very fine axe)
The 2027 has a "normal" ( 25.5" ) scale length, that's the same as a "normal" seven string, and thus wouldn't cope as much as the 1077 with the floppy strings.

Just my humble opinion.

Oh, and btw, welcome to the jemsite forum !

Cheers,
Joten

(Edited by GhesQi J at 6:08 pm on Jan. 7, 2002)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 06:11 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
1077xl vs 2027x vs 8527

If you tune down, the XL is a no brainer with the longer scale. It will intonate and sound better with alt. tunings (pickup and body wood differences aside) as Joten said.

I don't see the build quality being much different between these 3 guitars, so it really comes down to options, personal preference and looks. Unfortunately side-by-side comparisons will be near impossible. Good luck... glen
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 06:30 PM

1077xl vs 2027x vs 8527

If someone was buying a first 7-string and wanted a really high-quality guitar, would the XL be a good idea? *Since you could learn to adjust to the 7-string and the extra length at the same time?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 06:31 PM
site founder 0% owner

1077xl vs 2027x vs 8527

it would be a great idea... but IMHO if you are NOT detuning, the longer scale just increases string tension... something i always look to avoid ...glen
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

1077xl vs 2027x vs 8527

Thanks for all the advice guys. Ill just add that i dont plan on detuning the 7 string, i should have mentioned this in the post, thats why im a bit aprehensive about the 1077xl - will the tension be too much if kept in standard tuning.. i agree with glen, excessive string tension is something i try to avoid.
Anyways, ive perused the forum till my eyes have bleed , read and re-read some very informative opinions and it seems that the majority of you have nothing but praise for the 2027 in terms of build quality, sound and playability - the three most important things in a guitar (aesthetics are nice but not the deciding factor for me, tho itd be nice if the 2027 came in other finish options apart from vv and *flat black). And in reply to GhesQi J, no i dont NEED a piezo but i will most defintly incorporate the benefits of piezo into future song writing - its just that i dont want a guitar simply because it has piezo - it has to be an excellent guitar on its own merits.. which it sounds like the 2027 is

Heres hoping you'll be hearing from me soon as the proud new owner of a 2027 that was shipped over to australia with no problems whatsoever
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 11:47 AM

1077xl vs 2027x vs 8527

I focussed my opinion too much on the "getting rid of the muddiness of the strings" thing, thus my first reply.
If not downtuned, the 1077 will result in more string tension. I once calculated this, and a 27" guitar tuned to the "normal" BEADGBE, has 20 kilograms more stress on the strings than the same guitar, tuned down (1 whole step) to ADGCFAD (low to high)
For more info, go here: http://users.skynet.be/bs981341/neckprep.html
The difference in string tension between a 25.5" and a 27" guitar is about 10 kilograms (more for the 27" )

Anyway, the 2027X is a very fine axe.
The piezo will give you a greater range than the "normal" seven string,
and the mahogany body will contribute in a nice warm tone with great sustain.

Let us know when she arrives

Cheers,
Joten

(Edited by GhesQi J at 11:48 am on Jan. 8, 2002)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 11:53 AM
site founder 0% owner

1077xl vs 2027x vs 8527

interesting calculations. Could you then say that the 1077XL tuned down a half-step (B-flat/E-flat) has about the same tension as the 2027 tuned standard to B/E? That would provide some real life comparison, if accurate...glen
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 10:04 AM

1077xl vs 2027x vs 8527

Quote:
frust0x on 8:25 pm on Jan. 7, 2002
Thanks for all the advice guys. Ill just add that i dont plan on detuning the 7 string, i should have mentioned this in the post, thats why im a bit aprehensive about the 1077xl - will the tension be too much if kept in standard tuning.. i agree with glen, excessive string tension is something i try to avoid.
Anyways, ive perused the forum till my eyes have bleed , read and re-read some very informative opinions and it seems that the majority of you have nothing but praise for the 2027 in terms of build quality, sound and playability - the three most important things in a guitar (aesthetics are nice but not the deciding factor for me, tho itd be nice if the 2027 came in other finish options apart from vv and *flat black). And in reply to GhesQi J, no i dont NEED a piezo but i will most defintly incorporate the benefits of piezo into future song writing - its just that i dont want a guitar simply because it has piezo - it has to be an excellent guitar on its own merits.. which it sounds like the 2027 is

Heres hoping you'll be hearing from me soon as the proud new owner of a 2027 that was shipped over to australia with no problems whatsoever
*ahem*

Can I say something?

I own the XL. and to be honest, I've never looked back. No other 7 string feels this good. The extra tension is something you can get used to, and isn't really a problem. What you should note, is the fact that it has wider frets. This makes playing anything from 12th fret and above much much more easier. All my high notes suddenly sound extremely clear. This has become so crucial to me, that I can't seem to play anything else well anymore.

I tried 4 guitars before choosing the XL. I tried the 2027, 7620, 1077 and the much exhalted UV. The UV, 2027 and 7620 played very similar, except the tones did vary. The neck shapes did differ slightly, but since they were all the same scale, playing them didn't strike me much as special. The XL on the other hand, was the one that stood out. The playability, the scale and the tone. One thing I need to note. Your tone will be quite different in the XL, because the notes are clearer, sharper, and brighter. Thanks to the 27" neck. And that's what sold me. The XL is the only one that sounded versatile enough, and without breaking your piggy bank, you get a killer guitar that's remarkably different from the rest.

Of course, my only complaint is that it doesn't have a Piezo.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 10:05 AM

1077xl vs 2027x vs 8527

By the way, I use standard tuning, 9s to 52s. They're fine.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 08:34 AM

1077xl vs 2027x vs 8527

I'd just like to agree with Spiral Acid. I also tried the UV and own a 7620 (customised) and a 1077XL which is now my main guitar. The 7 string (in general) *takes very little time to get used to (how many people worrying about 7 strings would play a bass without thinking?) and the increased string tension on the 1077XL *does* feel and sound good - especially on those low notes!
Standard 9 - 52s here also.

Tags
killer guitar , les paul , les paul studio , mahogany body , neck shape , string section , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode