12 or 24? - Why these numbers? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

12 or 24? - Why these numbers?

I didn't want to post in the ART topic as this is a little unrelated.

But why did Ibanez either make 12 or 24 of the "original" J-Customs (original is not the correct word I know, but by it I mean the ART, GEAR, ARCH, METAL, S3040, as the newer models CST, 8527 etc... are made in higher numbers if I'm correct.)

Until all the evidence is in on the ART topic we cannot confirm fully whether it's 12 or 24 or any different number for that matter.

But why 12 or 24?
Where does the reasoning come from for this? Is it something Ibanez has let on, or is it a conclusion people have come to themselves?

Why not 15 or 30?

Just interested I suppose and looking for a bit more background.

Whether it be 12, 24 or 50 these numbers still suggest a damn rare guitar.
And just for interest, how rare is the EGYPT? I remember some figures being brandished about on the old forum and also this forum.
I know we can't possibly be talking even 12, but why? It was supposed to be in the same arena as the ones named above wasn't it?

Ta
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 11:21 AM

12 or 24?

Even when Ibanez was producing the ARTs & GEARs for the US Market, there were still many mass-produced J-Custom models available in Japan that year.

Having both some of the limited run J-Customs (ART, 6CST) and one of the more broadly available ones (1880), I can't say that there's any real difference in quality between the two. The biggest selling point of the ART is it's finish. The biggest advantage of the 6CST (at the time) was that it was one of the few guitars with piezo available. The 1880 doesn't really have anything distinct about it, it's just a killer guitar all the way around. It's like the modern equivalent of all the USA Customs from the early 90's.

--B
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 11:33 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
12 or 24?

This topic might have good intent but i see nothing but debate coming from it :biggrin:

Quote:
But why did Ibanez either make 12 or 24 of the "original" J-Customs
This is is a very suspicious claim, and has a HIGH PROBABILITY of being false. The 12 part is already shot down, again which should be no surprise.

More likely is this was known quantity that Hoshino USA was believed to have imported. But production worldwide... LOL.

Quote:
But why 12 or 24? Where does the reasoning come from for this? Is it something Ibanez has let on, or is it a conclusion people have come to themselves? Why not 15 or 30? Just interested I suppose and looking for a bit more background.
I personally have never heard 12-24, only read it here As stated above, even if that info was supplied (by hoshino usa) previously, it is not a definitive answer and obviously wrong. Most of us are curiuos as to their choice of production numbers, but information has NOT been forthcoming. Ibanez of Japan is on an island seemingly where information travels on a one-way street.

Maybe each model is simply designated to make X-dozen initially, and if they sell/presell, production is restarted as per demand. Not exactly a rocket science there but only a guess... glen
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

12 or 24?

Quote:
jemsite on 11:33 am on Jan. 12, 2002
This topic might have good intent but i see nothing but debate coming from it :biggrin:
Isn't that what we're here for?

I'm not saying 12 or 24 is correct at all, but these numbers have been quoted on this site many times and by quite a few people.
I don't particularly care if it's 100, my interest is how the 12/24 conclusion came about, and although not a claim made by all, it has been a standard (and somewhat accepted) claim before the ART topic was unleashed.

He*ll, I don't care if I owned number 1000 of a 10,000 run, as long as I enjoyed it.

I also have never heard 12/24 except for here, but being a member of this forum I know I am mixing with the most informed and intelligent Ibanez enthusiasts on the planet (plus some employees), and if that is all we have to go on then there must be a reasoned explaination.

I don't want to create a topic that goes haywire with slanging matches (although they do sometimes turn out to be great reading) ...I just want to know why some people see 12/24 as a definitive number.

Steve

(Edited by ripl3y at 11:57 am on Jan. 12, 2002)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 03:55 PM

12 or 24?

Oh no...not again....
Quote:
This is is a very suspicious claim, and has a HIGH PROBABILITY of being false.
*It does? *Don't you find it odd that most limited production guitars coming from Ibanez have had production totals divisible by 12? *Hmmm...makes ya wonder...

Then you answer your own question with this:
Quote:
Maybe each model is simply designated to make X-dozen initially,...
*Now that's what I call logic!

...and when do we start the RG-GEAR Registry? *Or even better- the CST Registry!
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Quote:
And just for interest, how rare is the EGYPT?
One of one. *
But...there was an RG-EGYPT-2 that was also made. *Instead of it being hand-carved, the EGYPT-2 was just painted. *I don't know the totals on the EGYPT-2.
The EGYPT-1 was displayed along side the other J-Customs at the NAMM show when they were first introduced here. *It wasn't a production model; it was just for show (so to speak).
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

12 or 24?

Quote:
Kevan on 3:55 pm on Jan. 12, 2002
The EGYPT-1 was displayed along side the other J-Customs at the NAMM show when they were first introduced here. *It wasn't a production model; it was just for show (so to speak).[/size]
Odd they did that really, I mean, it must have been a draw to the stand along with the others, but to have just the 1.
You often find display/draw models (at least at music live u.k. that is) devoid of any internals or quality woods, just a nice fancy paint job or a cool top (obviously you're not allowed to touch them...think PRS stand)
It's hard to see a £7k Santana free for all 15 year old baggy pant chain wearing kids to man-handle.

Obviously the EGYPT was an exception (although not a £7k guitar)

Do you know why they made just the one?
Maybe in hindsight they could have sold a bundle of them, or is that what they did with the EGYPT2?

It' be interesting to find out more of the background on it.

Steve
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 04:27 PM
site founder 0% owner

12 or 24?

one-of-a-kinds are not the NORMAL j-custom, as kevan well knows. The Egypt is almost irrelevant to this conversation as a result..

In disney world, over the years, you could see various one-of-a-kinds, some hand carved items that look more akin to a totem pole, than guitar top. To deduce production totals from a few "one of a kind" boutique guitars is a streeeeeeetch ...glen
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 04:29 PM
Vendor

12 or 24?

Riddle me why they made 15 of each of the RG Paints? At least THEY were numbered.

Bottom line, if the edition is not numbered with an edition number, they can continue to make them as long as they are ordered.

Riddle me why the RG3120 (or any Prestige model) is "supposed' to be a Limited model when they'll build as many as any distributor orders? Want to talk about the Limited JPM100 P1 that we just recently found out were being built for Europe as late as 97'? Obviously Limited has a different meaning to the Japanese than that of the collector mentality in the Western world.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

12 or 24?

I'm just basically asking why 12/24 has been brandished so much.
And don't try to dismiss it, I've been here too long not to notice it.

I don't care about Hoshino, I care why some of the most knowledgeable Ibanez crowd thinks it so.
We've had suggestions before...i.e. Ibanez like's 12, so has lots of production models divisible/multilplyed by it (I smell something from the local farm)

I'm also not saying any particular person has set it in stone, but it has been a somewhat accepted stat on this site.
I'd just like to know where, who or what it may have originated from, and is there any grounding in it?
Facts please.....'cause I don't have 'em!

Thanks
Steve

P.S. Rich, do you have a green suit and fight regularly with a guy who wears underwear on the outside?

TO REITERATE:- I'd just like to know where, who or what it may have originated from, and is there any grounding in it?
I don't want this to turn into a driftwood style topic, I wan't to be able to ask a question I feel legitimate, I'm not trying to cause any fuss, I'm actually interested.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 05:32 PM
site founder 0% owner

12 or 24?

Quote:
ripl3y on 5:22 pm on Jan. 12, 2002
I'm just basically asking why 12/24 has been brandished so much.
My first answer would be because Kevan posts alot :biggrin:

If you skip those posts and debate with Kev about "more than 12-made", i don't think you'll find many people counting these by the dozen... glen
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 05:42 PM
Vendor

12 or 24?

The first time I heard the # 24 was the proposed production of the CST's. Then afterward the 24 CT's built (prestige models though). I have been told there were 12 JS2's officially made (in Japan), but outside of those nothing. 12 is the # Hoshino USA's reps claimed for production of the STW, but that was an importation figure.

ps. I don't wear a suit, green or pinstriped
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 03:25 PM

[/quote]Riddle me why they made 15 of each of the RG Paints? At least THEY were numbered.[/quote]

There were 29 produced of the RG Paint 4
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 03:29 PM
Vendor

PAINT3 and 4 are newer than that post. Of course I was referring to PAINT1 and 2
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 04:13 PM

i'm not saying it is the reason but i always thought it(the 12/24 thing as well as multiples of 12) had to do with keeping mass production/shipping simplified....
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 06:07 PM

Is there any official info from Hoshino Japan on this? At least an email response or something?

Tags
custom models , hoshino usa , killer guitar , production model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode