12 guitars.... and counting - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
RCB

12 guitars.... and counting

Well, yesterday I bought my 12th guitar. You can see the current 10 here:

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=34664

the 11th is a Custom PGM I ve already order:

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=34780

(This one will be delivered by the end of November), and the last one wasnt at all in my plans.....

Yesterday I was browsing an auction site and I saw a Yamaha RGX standard. It has a mahogany body with a 15mm slightly flamed carved maple top. The shape of this guitar and the way the top is carved is amazing. HSS configuration, with binded ebony fingerboard and romboid inlays.

The propietary Yamaha tremolo is different from the Floyr Rose style of tremolo I have in my 1412, and its much better.

I paid U$S230 for it.

The guitar needs some work though. It needs to be refreted (it works as it is, but I want to have it in great shape), it also needs to have the electronics repaired, and finally it needs some touch ups to the painting. As Im going to refret it I will probably go with some new inlays (probably wood inalys made of some exotic root burl, like the ones the custom PGM is going to have). I tough about gettin a whole new neck, but the original is pretty good. This work will cost about 120-150 bucks (with the inlays).

I may also replace the pups, but first I want to hear the electronics after the rewiring.

Finally, I also though about adding a Vavona or Walnut root burl veneer on the top, but since the top is so beautifully carved, I m not sure if the veneer can be aplied without compromising it (I havent talk about it with the Luthier yet).

I know there is no need for 12, relatively similar, guitars. Probably there is no need for more than 2..... but what the hell!

Any suggestions for modding this guitars or for the inlays?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
RCB

I forgot to mention.... yesterday I saw it, yesterday I bought it, and yesterday I met with the seller..... talk about compulsive buying!

I will post pics tonight!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 11:34 AM

nice man, where do you live? i want to raid your gear :P
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
RCB

Well, I guess every rose has it thorn, and this Yamaha had it fair share of thornes....

The electronics didnt work well, but the quality of them is the worst I ever seen on a decent guitar. The Bridge doesnt seem bad..... but Im thinking of getting new pups. When you see the sweet carve top it has, and the great quality of the woods used for the body, this is hard to understand.

Then, there is the neck..... ebony freatboard with binding, and a pretty good fretdressing work, couple with cheap maple and lots of filler in the inlays?!?!?!?!?

I cant understand this kind of things. I mean, the quality of this maple doesnt detract to the sound of the guitar at all, but it makes it look knd of cheap (its about the same quality of maple you ll find on a S470 or RG 470). Why go the half mile and put ebony and binding qith that kinf maple? Also, it doesnt make sense when you think about the quality of the body.

Did I mention that the electronics are just a piece of sh*t?

It still is a great buy, but I juts wanted to share this weird things!

The Luthier couldnt take this guitar for a full custom process since he is already buried with work (my other guitar consuming most of his time).

He loved the body, and he suggested that we should customize this one instead of the RBM1. But he can take it in before December (when he delivers the PGM custom).I will probably customize both.

For the moment, he is going to level the frets and change the pots and switches, and retouch a couple of dings and chips.

In December I will fully customize it with a new neck (today I saw the PGM neck in progress and I love the pau ferro, purple heart combination so I will probably go with the same choices) with an innovative inlay design. I have yet to determine what I m going to do to the body. I may just restore the original painting.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
RCB

Quote:
The Bridge doesnt seem bad..... but Im thinking of getting new pups.
I meant the bridge pup
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
RCB

I hate this keyboard!!!!!!!!

Quote:
makes it look knd of cheap (its about the same quality of maple you ll find on a S470 or RG 470). Why go the half mile and put ebony and binding qith that kinf maple?

makes it look kind of cheap (its about the same quality of maple you ll find on a S470 or RG 470). Why go the half mile and put ebony and binding with that kind of maple?

Quote:
But he can take it in before December
But he cant take it in before December.

I hope it makes more sense now.....

Tags
bridge pup , ebony fingerboard , mahogany body , yamaha rgx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode