1570, and the Summer... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

1570, and the Summer...

So I live on the east coast of New Jersey, along the shore (no, we don't all talk like the way they do on the show ) anyway- with global warming and stuff, whatever, the weather has been sparratic. Unpredictable. One day it's 30, the next it's 75, humidity changes every day

With summer coming it will be HOT. My room is also very HOT.

The air in my house changes often too- it's too cold in the morning, turn it hotter. Too hot during the day, turn it colder.

What's the best way to keep my guitar in the best shape climate wise. I understand setups are required through changing seasons, but how should I keep this guitar in terms if what will be best for each season?

This should be with the prospect that I have no access to humidifiers of any kind, no access to any air conditioning unit seperate for my room, and try telling a house full of my family that we have to keep the temperature at the same all day. They already hate my guitar as it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:16 AM

Re: 1570, and the Summer...

You can set the guitar up to work well as long as the conditions are stable. We just went from winter/dry to spring/humid around here. My guitars all went flat and there is more bow to the necks now.

It's actually better in the summer because the air conditioning runs so much (which dries the air). Right now it's not warm enough to run the A/C consistently so it can get very humid in the house.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:38 PM

If you have a case for your 1570 I would recommend planet waves humidipack for guitar. That will solve your humidity problem.

I currently use those packs for my guitars and you only need to use one for electric guitar.

One pack lasts about 3-8 months depending on humidity outside the case so if you buy a starter kit which should be something around 30 USD it will last at least a year for you.

When it comes to temperature try finding a spot in your room that stays somewhat consistent and far away from a window.

All in all you still have to adjust the trussrod from time to time. Don't do a full setup on the guitar if you don't need to.

Here's a tip I use a lot...

If all your strings have become sharp# (when checking intonation) that means you need to tighten the nut - reducing the bow

if all your strings have become flat b (when checking intonation) then you need to slacken the nut - Increasing the bow of the neck.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 05:43 PM

I'm up in New England, and I totally feel your pain.

In general, thicker necks tend to be more stable than thinner necks, and finished necks tend to be much more stable then thinner ones. There's not much you can do about the thickness, but if you're ever tempted to sand the back of your neck for a smoother feel, you'll have to expect to do a lot more setups than you do now.

I'd suggest just getting good at doing truss rod adjustments yourself - it's a useful skill to have anyway, and I deal with it (on my thin, unfinished necked Universe) just by giving it a quarter turn or two every time the conditions change radically. My Strat has always been pretty stable so I rarely touch it, my Suhr is about a year now and also seems quite stable, but my UV requires some attention with weather changes.

Rich Harris's site is a great resource, I'd start there.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 08:32 PM

Reviews: 2

Throw one of these in your case every couple of months during the humid months.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/silicageldesipak.html
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:42 AM

The flip side of this is that if you adjust your necks to be nice and straight during humid summer months, make sure you check them again when it gets dry. You don't want to be putting the necks into back bow.

Tags
climate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode