1972 Fender Strat pricing - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

1972 Fender Strat pricing

Anyone know what this guitar is worth? Ive had it since I was young but never play it. Its a 1972 Fender Strat that was customized with gold hardware and an Official Floyd Rose. The guitar dealer by me said its probably in the thousands. Im contimplating selling it so I can get a new JEM ( of course ). Thanks in advance to anyone with some serious info. Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 01:56 AM
Gex

Re: 1972 Fender Strat pricing

A stock 1972 strat would get several thousand, but this one is heavily modified. Even though they may be improvements, in the vintage world people want stock and like new things. Thats the only problem with modding old guitars like that, is that your gonna kill the resale value.

How long have you had it? Personally, I'd probably keep it and just get a JEM though some other means. Everybody needs a good strat, and that one is just about as good as it gets.

My dream strat is very close to that one, except a Natural 1970's strat with a black floyd, black pickguard, and a HSS configuration. So. . maybe my opinion is biased because you have something I've been wanting.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 02:32 AM

Yeah, unfortunately I have to agree with Gex, '72 Strats have been hiking in price considerably, but most (well, all really) guys willing to shell out collectors prices want unmodded guitars, so, sadly your strat won't get you collectors prices. She is, however, a lovely looking Strat all the same - that yellowed Olympic White is just a gorgeous colour!
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 07:52 AM

Sorry about the questions, but what makes the '72 better than other seventies models?

thx!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Gex

Basically, an a relatively linear scale, the earlier the year the more it's worth.

Not sure why exactly, I don't believe they'res much difference in quality. I guess the collectors pride themselves on the age of the guitar.

I'm not a collector, I'm just a guy who's been observing the prices of 70's strats on e-bay, because like I said I'm searching for that dream strat that is out-there somewhere.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 01:04 PM

I think you killed everyone who might still be on dial up around the world.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
My dream strat is very close to that one, except a Natural 1970's strat with a black floyd, black pickguard, and a HSS configuration. So. . maybe my opinion is biased because you have something I've been wanting.
Hmm... I wonder who had that kind of Fender Strat? I believe a guy called Steve played that sort of Strat.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 02:02 PM

A stock 72 would fetch about £1500 max, they arent the most valuable guitars, my dads 79 would probly only go for £1000, which is a shame really, they are ten times better than the new american made strats, what are fender doing with those guitars to make them soooo bad.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 02:26 PM

That is very close to my dream guitar, just need to scallop that neck and whack some dimarzio hs-3/yjm's in it (and change the volume/tone controls)

I could potentially trade you for my 7vwh, i'd need more info on it though ..
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez2005
A stock 72 would fetch about £1500 max, they arent the most valuable guitars, my dads 79 would probly only go for £1000, which is a shame really, they are ten times better than the new american made strats, what are fender doing with those guitars to make them soooo bad.
Interesting, I've actually heard opposite things about mid and late 70's Fenders. Mostly people have said they were really crappy but I guess your dads Strat is an exception. I think nowadays Fender makes really good guitars.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Gex

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredfreak
Interesting, I've actually heard opposite things about mid and late 70's Fenders. Mostly people have said they were really crappy but I guess your dads Strat is an exception. I think nowadays Fender makes really good guitars.
Every 70's strat Ive played has been an astoundingly great playing/feeling/put togeather instrument, that In my opinion blows away even the Custom shop 70's reissue strat made today. They just dont have that same feeling. Those original 70's strats are oozing with mojo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredfreak
Hmm... I wonder who had that kind of Fender Strat? I believe a guy called Steve played that sort of Strat.
D'OH!

You got me.

I dont know why, but I love that guitar. It seems perfect in every way, IMO.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

I bought the strat from house of guitars in upstate New York. She was already modded when I found her about 18 years ago. Wow am I old..... I do have to admit it plays like no other and Ive always keep it in tip top shape. I agree the mods bring down the price in the collectors market, thats why Ive always kept it but unfortunately a jem neck profile has been the answer Ive always been looking for in playing comfortability and Im tring to raise some funds to make my next purchase. Just seeing whats a fair market price at the moment. Thanks everyone for the honest opinions. Cheers!
Epicus Furor, i apreciate the offer, its exactly what im looking for, Im just not into the whole overseas shipping headache. Sorry
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 11:48 PM

The 70's seemed like a bad decade for Fender in general...
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:07 AM
Gex

I think it was a very cool decade.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:51 AM

The whole overseas shipping thing isn't always so bad :-)

I think the reason very early seventies strats fetch a bit more than later ones has more to do with the all white plastic parts thing - it gives them just a wee bit more of a vintage vibe than the later "tuxedos" (black scratchplate, white knobs etc) or all black parts ones. By the late seventies the Strat body contouring was getting very blocky and they were using Ash with the same specific density as concrete - they weigh as much as a Les Paul Custom!

Ans besides, some other bloke called Jimi played lots of white strats that looked a lot like yours.......

I agree with Gex on aesthetic grounds, but seventies strats (esp. late seventies) had horrible pickups, monel metal trems that refuse to stay in tune, terrible machine heads, a chronically unstable three bolt neck joint and in about 50% of cases weigh enough to make Chiropractors rub their hands in greedy anticipation! These were the original reasons behind why L series and earlier strats became desireable (before the collectors insanity started setting in) - if you look at Tabsjunky's beauty, she's had nearly every one of these issues addressed by her previous owner!

Cheers

David

Tags
black pickguard , candy apple red , custom shop , david gilmour , fender strat , floyd rose , jem neck , jem neck profile , jumbo frets , les paul , les paul custom , medium jumbo frets , neck joint , neck position , olympic white , rosewood fretboard , strat body , sunburst finish , super strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode