1985 Pro Line Series - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

1985 Pro Line Series

Anyone know if these are actually any good? I'm tempted to go for it, but im not sure what kind of neck she has or how it'll play if ya know what I mean. Any thoughts or anyone have one?

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.ph...t=88494&cat=16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 PM

Re: 1985 Pro Line Series

From memory, these have thicker necks than the late 80's RG models. I would say it's a great guitar. But you might not like it at all. At that price, if you can afford it, it's not a bad purchase. I would like to see more pics and details if I were to buy it. But it looks clean.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 02:07 PM

Reviews: 1

I am pretty sure that you can only do dives on that trem. It is not routed like RGs and jems. So it is no good if you want a trem that goes both ways.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For_The_Love_Of_Jems View Post
I am pretty sure that you can only do dives on that trem. It is not routed like RGs and jems. So it is no good if you want a trem that goes both ways.
and I'm pretty sure you're right, as the routing for pulling the trem has begun with the Jem and RGs at Ibanez in 1987.

To me it's a nice collector though. If I had more money to spend in guitars I'd buy every Ibanez superstrat from that era.

Last edited by cosmitron; 01-15-2009 at 11:01 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 PM

Those were great guitars, some of my favorites from that era ('85 ish). That's one of my favorite colors as well. Bound ebony boards, nice necks, a gold original edge and a cool switching system. They aren't collectors instruments really, so if you got it and didn't like the pups you could swap them out without losing any sleep, though I would try and keep that switching system intact if at all possible.
Those are really nice guitars, but unfortunately (for you) I do have a soft spot for them so my opinion might be less than objective. I'd love to have another one myself

I think Nuno has a few of these, maybe one of each model. If he doesn't chime in here shoot him a quick PM. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk ProLines with you
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 02:47 AM

i own one (PL1770GP) and i can tell you it's a GREAT guitar overall. the only con would be the single-coils buzz a lot on distortion. but they sings on clean. all the rest is pure pleasure. get it right now!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 02:26 AM

The one in the Ad is a 1986 PL1770SP.

I have one and it is a phenominal guitar. That one is in dire need of a setup. The hardware looks correct, it should be a White Gold Edge Trem and Smooth Tuner IIs.

The bridge does float above the body, it'll flutter and pull up a bit but not as much as the recessed ones. I have a bunch of the RGs from 1986 and I shim the necks a bit to get a little more height out of the bridge for more clearance behind it.

Grab it and don't look back!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

ah ****,ok would you take it over a pristine RG350dx with a steve special in the bridge and air norton in the neck?? and it's being setup by the guy for free? I can't afford to buy another guitar so i have to pick one? :/
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss^is^dead View Post
...would you take it over a pristine RG350dx with a steve special in the bridge and air norton in the neck??
as private Hudson said: WHENEVER, WHEREVER!

Tags
pro line

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode