1987 Ibanez Sabre 540s - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

1987 Ibanez Sabre 540s

Hey all,

Thought I would celebrate my win with you guys. I was recently looking for a hardcase for another guitar, and I came across an auction - a hardcase, with an Ibanez Sabre, I didn't bid but post auction they did a fixed price offer $350 NZD.

I had never even heard of the guitar, and thought nothing of it until I collected it. I now can't believe my luck of acquiring what seems to be a quite rare guitar. It had no pickups in it, and wiring was completely gone. I did some research and with the help of a friend we've wired it back up and it sounds great. It's going to need refretting soon but not a major - someone obviously played this guitar a lot!

It's a 1987 Ibanez Sabre 540s. Missing the Ibanez backstop unfortunately. I left the locking nuts at work so they're not in the picture, but I do have them. Missing the tremolo arm - but should be easy enough to replace. Would love the beehive knobs, but just not sure I can justify the cost to myself. I wasn't too sure about pickup selection, but what I have in there I'm happy with. I havn't restrung it yet (when I do the posts winding will be a lot tidier!)

Neck pickup - Seymour Duncan Lil Screaming Demon
Middle pickup - Seymour Duncan Cool Rails
Bridge pickup (Set up for coil tapping) - Seymour Duncan TB-4

Hope you like what I've done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 09:26 PM

Re: 1987 Ibanez Sabre 540s

Very nice - looks like it's in great condition.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomibanez View Post
Very nice - looks like it's in great condition.
There's a bit of a ding in the back of the neck and a crack around the back of the headstock from the nut, but it's holding together so I'm just going to keep on ignoring that
Old 12-19-2014, 09:43 PM

Very nice! I like that color too... I just got an '89 (in red) last Saturday and they seem to be great guitars. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine over the last week! (my NGD post is below)

It doesn't have the individual switches like yours does though, just the 5-way. How do the individual switches function? I mean, what do they do? Just curious.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Very nice! I like that color too... I just got an '89 (in red) last Saturday and they seem to be great guitars. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine over the last week! (my NGD post is below)

It doesn't have the individual switches like yours does though, just the 5-way. How do the individual switches function? I mean, what do they do? Just curious.
Not entirely sure how the switches functioned out of factory - it's hard to find that sort of detail. The way mine is wired, it's just an on or off switch per pickup. I was thinking that it would make for some really interesting sounds, but if you have two pickups on at the same time one of them seems to overpower the other anyway, so a switch would be just as useful imo. Loving the neck though - it's just got an easily playable feel to it
Old 12-19-2014, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Here's another picture that shows off the colour a bit better

Old 12-20-2014, 12:43 AM

I agree on the neck, got a good feel to it. The frets on mine were nasty looking with oxidation when I got it, but they polished up beautifully. I wonder if they had more silver in the fret material on the older Ibanezes? I had never seen frets so oxidized with black tarnish, almost like old silver does. I bet yours will polish up real nice.

Looks like your switches are wired correctly:

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/540S

That's a gorgeous color. I wonder if it is Ruby Red or Black Cherry?
Old 12-21-2014, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I agree on the neck, got a good feel to it. The frets on mine were nasty looking with oxidation when I got it, but they polished up beautifully. I wonder if they had more silver in the fret material on the older Ibanezes? I had never seen frets so oxidized with black tarnish, almost like old silver does. I bet yours will polish up real nice.

Looks like your switches are wired correctly:

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/540S

That's a gorgeous color. I wonder if it is Ruby Red or Black Cherry?
I'd say it's Dark Cherry - it's really dark until it gets some light on it.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Just realised how many times I spelled 'Saber' wrong
Old 01-05-2015, 02:46 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_monsta View Post
LOL..... man that's a really nice 540. Almost like a time capsule....... just get some bee-hives for it.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:08 PM

Niiiiiice finish ! Congratulations !
Old 01-06-2015, 02:24 AM

Excellent!! Enjoy it!!
Old 01-06-2015, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_monsta View Post
The spelling isn't wrong man, Sabre is normal for England/NZ/Australia, Saber is how we spell it in the US. Don't sweat about that

BTW, that's a GORGEOUS 540S. I wish I could find a nice one like that Happy NGD!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Decided I want this thing ready to go. It's with the luthier now for refretting. Shouldn't be too far off getting my Jem back either. I won't know what to do with myself!

Tags
540s , sabre , seymour duncan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in