1987 RG 560 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

1987 RG 560

Hello guys!

I recently bought a 1987 RG560 in Carotene Orange with some Dimarzios on it.
I must say, even though it quite beat up, that thing is a beast. It simply blows away my '94 Gibby and pretty much every single guitar I ever touched! Ugly as hell though.

The thing is, I never seen a guitar in such a poor state:
The neck was broken and poorly glued back together. There is some card paper under the locking nut (probably to compensate the poor gluing) and I can even see the crack going up to the middle of the back of the headstock without any glue on it. It’s a mess.
The body is cracked in both sides where it meets the neck (the typical place where they crack).
Also, the previous owner broke off the tip of the tremolo at the knife edge on both sides. How he actually managed such feat remains unknown. Original Edge Tremolo.

Even with all these problems, the guitar plays and sounds amazing and the sustain could last for days! Too bad it goes out of tune just by looking at it.

Thing is, I recently found someone selling a 1993 MIJ RG450 with the same square heel original wizard neck and a Lo-Pro Edge for about the same price I would pay just for the neck or the tremolo.
Would it be worth considering buying this RG450 and swapping the neck and tremolo? I heard somewhere both the 560 and this 450 share the same neck (RG550-R – I know my 560 has it at least).
Would the neck on this ‘93 RG450 be of inferior quality than the one on my ’87 RG560?
And, would the tremolo be a perfect fit?

Sorry for the very long post
I can upload some pictures when I get home from work if you guys want to see it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 01:59 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: 1987 RG 560

i'm jealous...congrats...the 450 is going to feel dfferent...keep an eye on ebay for a square heel 550-r neck in decent shape...they pop up from time to time...d.m.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply D.M.

Do you think the 450's '93 neck would feel different than the current one?
If i put it on the 560, i mean.

The 560 is in REALLY bad shape. Both neck and trem!

I wish i could post some pictures, but for some reason it says i must have more than 10 posts and i just registered
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 10:56 PM

umm...if its an old carotene orange you really need to go with parts from the period it was made...being an 87 it will not have an all access neck joint...only way to make sure it all fits properly together really...and yes the 450 necks were still different even back then...least i think they were...d.m.

Last edited by diablomozart; 01-27-2016 at 11:27 PM.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Both my '87 560 and the '93 450 are square heel joints.
I may be wrong, but I believe they are both Original Wizard necks!
I even saw someone here on the forum that bought one of these 450 and it had a RG550-R neck, same as the one in my guitar. It may have been a "frankenstein" RG though.

Been looking around the forum for the last couple of days, but there doesn't seem to be many people with these 92-93 RG450's, and there is barely any info on the necks. I think i'll ask around if someone that has one can tell me what's the model on their necks.

Finding a original wizard square heel neck is really hard, and they are really expensive when sold separately.
Should i maybe ask the seller to take it apart and check the neck model?
Or do you think that the neck may be of inferior quality (or different specs) in these 450, even if it is in fact a RG550-R neck?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Ok, forget it.
The guitar i'm looking to buy is actually here on the forum and it has a RG470 neck :\
Damn it, im disappointed.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 01:21 PM

a coupla hundred bucks for a square heel neck is a worthy investment being you have a carotene orange...admittedly thats just my opinion, but that color is a really cool color...if its playing ok and not going out of tune i wouldnt worry about replacing the neck immediately...play it and save up slowly for another neck...oh and look in odd places...i picked up a sq heel 750 neck from a music go round (had it shipped) for 145 bucks...patience and research are key...d.m.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 02:34 PM

Sorry to hear about the damage to the guitar. A good luthier
will be able to fix those problems for you providing you can't
get a replacement neck.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Well, D.M., as i said on my first post, it goes out of tune just by simply looking at it
And i can't figure out if it is because of the busted tremolo or the badly repaired neck though :\
I will post pictures of it as soon as i get permission to! (10 posts, 2 to go as of this writing)

Hello IbanezDaemon, thank you for stepping in!
I was actually thinking the same thing. As this neck is my favorite thing in this guitar, maybe i should get a professional luthier to take a look at it. Next thing is trying to find a good luthier around here....

Another thing with this neck, is that the truss rod is pretty much at it's limit. By this i mean that i actually need to have thicker low E and A strings so that i can have a slight bow on the neck. If I loosen the trussrod even an 1/8 of a turn (or less) the neck gets straight as an arrow and the trussrod becomes loose (the thing at the top starts to come out). Sorry if i can't explain any better.
I'm pretty sure there was supposed to be some room left in it before becoming loose, so that i could get at least a little relief on the neck with a standard 9's set.
This probably has something to do with the poor repair that was done before.

Next thing i should probably look at is the bridge. probably the main reason the thing goes out of tune i believe, since it lost half of both the knife edges supports :\

Might eventually get that other 450's just for the tremolo swap, being that he isn't charging too much more than what he paid for it, and it could always become a future project guitar :O
It's a lo-pro Edge, it should be a perfect fit i believe? And same quality for what i read somewhere on the forum

btw d.m., if u want to see the guitar, google this "rg560 orange" and look for one with white pickups. It has Air Norton S on the neck, an hexa-pole single in the middle (something like dimarzio's take on a p90 single coil size) and an Evo DP158-F on the bridge.
You can probably see the old ad on some .pt website. You wont be able to see the damages in the guitar (I wasn't when i bought it)
Sorry for long post again
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 04:16 PM

looked...man thats a really cool color...d.m.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you
Although i think it's not the original color.
It's been sprayed with some terrible quality paint. The original color is a bit brighter (maybe because of the years?) but i think i'll scrap this coat of paint off and see how it looks. this paint comes off if i pass (rub?) my guitar pick on it... No idea on how the original body looks though, i hope its not too dented or something.
As you can see by the Ad, the guitar looks all fixed so the guy could take some pretty photos and rip someone off...

Last edited by nefer.fred; 01-28-2016 at 04:45 PM.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 04:49 PM

sad when folks do that...paint shouldnt do that...is it orange underneath?...d.m.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Yep, just scrapped a bit and took some pictures, i'll upload them and, hopefully, edit this 10th post with some real pics of the guitar
finally.

Last edited by nefer.fred; 01-28-2016 at 04:58 PM.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 05:13 PM

Sorry to hear you got burned on this. Can you file a claim
against the seller?? If you bought that guitar online via
ebay/paypal you can try and get your money back as an
'Item Significantly Not As Described' case.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

The website we use does not take any responsibility in those matters. The sells are made the sellers themselves, and values negotiated etc. It was a trade + money from my part, but it was still quite expensive for what i actually got :\
Right now i just want to make the better of what i have in hands

Tags
1987 , ibanez , rg560

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode