1987 Roadstar Deluxe - worth it? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

1987 Roadstar Deluxe - worth it?

Hello everyone,

New user, part-time reader/lurker here!

Basically, I'm about to buy a 1987 Ibanez RG DX (can't post pics yet).

The owner asks 430 for it, probably can talk him down a bit though.
Specs-wise it's pretty close to being my ideal guitar, BUT other than the original Ibanez Edge trem being one of the best locking tremolo systems, I don't know too much about the guitar.
Found a page of an old Ibanez catalog (1986) with the specs: Basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, Edge tremolo, HSS config with coil split.

So, anyone around here who has some experience regarding these guitars?
Stuff like: How's the neck? How well made is it overall? How are the pickups (not a deal-breaker as I'd probably replace them anyway, but still)? What prices do these usually go for? Plus any personal experience you guys had with these models is welcome!

Also, the trem arm is missing, will today's replacement trem arms fit?

Hope you can help me, I'm about to try (and probably buy) the guitar tomorrow.

If, however, the guitar is a piece of junk actually (which I don't hope), there's also a 1988 Saber 540 I could try for roughly the same asking price.

What I'm overall looking for is an 80's rock/metal-ish Superstrat with a Floyd. Originally I was planning to go with a MIJ Pro Mod Charvel, but those are discontinued now and hard to find around here, then I thought EVH Stripe Series, but again they don't seem like an as good value as the Roadstar now. More lately I considered the newer Indonesian made RG3XXV or S420, that's why I even started looking for used Ibanez-es and again, the Roadstar MIGHT be nicer but what do I know? That's why I'm asking YOU.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 03:35 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: 1987 Roadstar Deluxe - worth it?

There are a lot of possibilities that this '87 RG can actually be.

RG360
RG440
RG560
RG760

Without pics it's hard to say if your getting a good deal or not.

Can you PM a link for the pics to me?

Here in the US 430eur ($56 is too much for anything other than a pristine condition RG560/760. And that may still be too much. Of course you market may be different. I know guitars have a higher value in general in Australia.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 03:36 PM

BTW.... welcome to Jemsite man!!
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

PM sent.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 PM

Got the pics. that thing IS pristine!! It's definitely an '86 RG440. The bad news is that the price (IMO) is too high. Most Roadstar II's go for under $300. for this one, I'd pay up to $450 (340eur), but no more. The EMG's may also hurt it's value. The other side of the coin is that it's unlikely that you'll ever see one in this condition again.

FWIW...... I have the '86 RG410 that's on the same page........ amazingly nice, tight guitar.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

No EMGs in there, those are the stock pickups.

As I said in the OP, I will definitely try and talk the price down, but even for 400€ I feel like I couldn't get a much better value floyd axe than this, or can I?

BTW, I also sent you the pics of the Saber 540.

Asthetics-wise I'm leaning more towards the Roadstar though.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM

Sorry, your right about the pups......... my mistake.

Of course you have to go with your own preferences, but the 540S would be my pick. That's a first year '87 that, again, is in incredible shape. Everything looks to be original although I don't know about the knobs.

As far as re-sale goes, the 540S has a higher value.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:38 PM

You should also know that the necks on these two guitars are ENTIRELY different.

The RG440 has a much thicker and rounder profile with a 12" (305mm) radius. It's VERY strat-like.

The 540S has an original wizard neck that is significantly thinner with a 17" (430mm) radius.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I'm not that worried about the resale value, I'm more worried about which one is the 'better' guitar.
Better as in craftmanship, materials used, hardware, etc.
Mostly I'm worried about the playability/neck profile though, as I find the necks on most modern Ibanez guitars a tad too thin. Also the trem system should be good.

EDIT: Thanks for just posting about the necks, that's another big plus for the RG440 actually!
My main/only guitars for the last couple of years has been a Fender American Special HSS and I really like its neck, however, sometimes I wish it was just a little thinner and had a flatter radius.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusCrisp View Post
I'm not that worried about the resale value, I'm more worried about which one is the 'better' guitar.
Better as in craftmanship, materials used, hardware, etc.
Mostly I'm worried about the playability/neck profile though, as I find the necks on most modern Ibanez guitars a tad too thin. Also the trem system should be good.
In comparison- they are both VERY good, high quality guitars. They share the same hardware although the spring block on the RG is a bit larger. some people believe the extra mass lends itself to better sustain and tone. I don't notice any difference myself. The stock pups in both are pretty good, but the IBZusa's in the 540 are minimally better. The IBZ pickups in the RG are fairly bland/boring/neutral.

Another thing to note is that the RG is basswood and the 540 is mahogany.

All-in-all, neither one is better. They're just different.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

OK, I'll definitely go for the RG, talk down the price as low as I can, get some nice Dimarzios for it and hopefully be happy.

Only thing that worries me is the missing trem arm now.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 02:36 AM

Hi there,
Since You're from Austria you can get arm at www.thomann.de
I think its too much for pice of 6mm steal, but thats the price for Europian market. Mostly all music stores in Serbia gets Ibanez parts from Thomann.
Cheers
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Just found a review stating that the 2LE2-1B trem arm fits those 80's Roadstar IIs.

Price is a bit stupid high probably, but whatever. And I'm ordering a ton of stuff from Thomann soon anyway (pickups and electronics mostly).

Thanks for the help!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 03:16 AM

yep, thats the proper trem arm. It fits EDGE, Lo Pro EDGE, and I think that I saw somewhere somebndy from forumr said that fits and EDGE PRO & EDGE PRO II, but I'm noto puite sure for those last two types.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

A few hours ago I bought the Roadstar!

Awesome guitar, been to a guitar store before and it could certainly hang with today's Premiums or even Prestiges. Neck-wise I'd describe it's closest to an EVH Wolfgang neck of the guitars I played today.

Overall I'm very impressed, only thing that's got to go is the pickups. They aren't bad and certainly get the 80's thing done, but they are kind of bland and lack a bit of cut, punch and balls to me, might make a thread asking for some recommendations.

Still, this is about the closest I can imagine to being my personal dream guitar so far.

Thanks everyone for the help, now I'm finally another member of the satisfied Ibanez owner family.

Tags
1987 , ibanez , japan , rg dx , roadstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode