1988 Radius - worth? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

1988 Radius - worth?

I'm looking at a 1988 540R Radius and had some reservations about buying something online used. I'm not a guitar-tech expert and am worried about the electronics, but everything on this Radius looks good and it is from a shop - not an individual.

assuming good (not excellent) condition (few chips - no other issues) what would you value this guitar at?

also, what is the neck like on the Radius? I have a RG350 / RG370 with Wizards and didn't like the S470 neck (too thin) but heard the radius had a thicker neck.

thanks in advance..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 11:47 PM

Re: 1988 Radius - worth?

I just picked up a JB 540R off of E-Bay for $510 shipped from Japan. There is one there that is over $1,300 but I don't know what that guy is smoking. I'm assuming you're looking at the local one at Guitar Center?

BTW, off topic but I see you're in St. Charles, I work right off of North Ave in the industrial park behind the Target/Portillos.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 03:13 AM

Radiuses are difficult to evaluate, mostly because of the changing neck shape. You can get either Ultras or Wizards, depending on the year and on the model.
The ultra neck is more similar to the JS ones than to wizards, fatter and rounder.

I recently got myself a 1992 540R LTD (with sharktooth inlays which i hate) for 250 Eur including case. I wouldn't spend more than 500 Eur/400ish USD for one. Keep in mind that these are becoming hard to find, and depending on your pickup preference, it might become even harder. The HH ones seem to be the most rare, and they usually go for a good premium over HsH/Hss
Also, if you think how it will compare with your 350, it would simply be a few steps better: Made in Japan guitars are a trademark for good quality craftmanship
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlur View Post
I just picked up a JB 540R off of E-Bay for $510 shipped from Japan. There is one there that is over $1,300 but I don't know what that guy is smoking. I'm assuming you're looking at the local one at Guitar Center?

BTW, off topic but I see you're in St. Charles, I work right off of North Ave in the industrial park behind the Target/Portillos.

cool.. actually I'm looking at one online.. is there one at a guitar center around here? ever been to JCGuitars on Randall? He's got the guitar I'm looking at but wants $1G for it! no way..
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 07:09 PM

I'd say in decent condition between $350 and $450. In excellent condition $450-$550...maybe $600 or a little higher if it's mint or a rare color or something.

As the others have said, if you like the wizard neck look for a 540RLTD...which has a HSH pickup config and shark tooth inlays (22 fret with a wizard profile). If you like a slightly thicker neck that feels more like a JS or a strat look for a 540R with SSH or HH pickups. Those will have the "ultra" neck (standard dot inlays with a thicker profile). One thing to note is if you find a 1987 540R the neck on these is slightly different (i believe it's called a PRO540R neck). Ibanez lists the measurements as similar to the ultra neck on later 540r 's...but the '87 neck is slightly thinner...it feels somewhere between the ultra and wizard. This is my favorite of the bunch, but I don't care much for the three individual pickup selectors on the 1987's. It all comes down to personal preference.

By the way...visually you can tell the difference between the '87 neck and the later ultra necks as the '87 has mini dot inlays, as opposed to the bigger dots on the ultra neck. The mini dots are also cooler looking IMO

Last edited by pwsusi; 11-27-2013 at 07:16 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post

As the others have said, if you like the wizard neck look for a 540RLTD...which has a HSH pickup config and shark tooth inlays (22 fret with a wizard profile). If you like a slightly thicker neck that feels more like a JS or a strat look for a 540R with SSH or HH pickups. Those will have the "ultra" neck (standard dot inlays with a thicker profile). One thing to note is if you find a 1987 540R the neck on these is slightly different (i believe it's called a PRO540R neck). Ibanez lists the measurements as similar to the ultra neck on later 540r 's...but the '87 neck is slightly thinner...it feels somewhere between the ultra and wizard. This is my favorite of the bunch, but I don't care much for the three individual pickup selectors on the 1987's. It all comes down to personal preference.

By the way...visually you can tell the difference between the '87 neck and the later ultra necks as the '87 has mini dot inlays, as opposed to the bigger dots on the ultra neck. The mini dots are also cooler looking IMO
Good analysis, but my 1992 540r LTD has the ultra neck. So be careful when you say that the 1992 models have the wizard.

Interesting to learn about the 1987 neck shape being different, I hope I can one day try one, i was only aware of the smaller dots
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Good analysis, but my 1992 540r LTD has the ultra neck. So be careful when you say that the 1992 models have the wizard.
It seems like they may have changed it up a bit toward the end of production on these guitars. I have a '93 rltd...it has a wizard neck but also has an AANJ which is not common on these guitars.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
It seems like they may have changed it up a bit toward the end of production on these guitars. I have a '93 rltd...it has a wizard neck but also has an AANJ which is not common on these guitars.
wow!
didn't know they had AANJ also on radiuses! I thought they only used AANJ for the RV, but i guess 1993 was a transition year.

Don't ever sell it man
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 01:59 PM

Ibanez pitched the '87 neck as an Ultra. The '87 necks say "Roadstar Series" on the headstock. Check out the liner notes for the Flying in a Blue Dream album. In the photo of Joe kicking back with his feet on the table you can somewhat make out that his headstock has Roadstar Series on it. But that neck's headstock is not tilted back. I think Ibanez made the non-tilted headstock Roadstar Series neck for one year only (these necks were Falbo's holy grail a few years ago--might still be). The Ultras in the early part of '88 are the same except for some codes on the heel and no Roadstar Series on the headstock. These necks for both years match their specs. By '89 the specs were tossed and the necks are very noticeably thicker. And its a weird thicker, too. They're like the original spec at fret 1 but then get thicker and thicker as you move up the frets. IMO anyway.

These fatter necks I can understand someone comparing a JS neck to. The JS neck is way thicker than an in spec Ultra neck. I always thought that the fat Ultra necks and the JS necks felt wrong on such a sleek body as the 540R. However, I don't believe the sleeker '88-'91-ish 540Rs were the 540Rs that Joe based his JS on. Somewhere it says that Joe's guitar was like a 540R but with, among other things, a deeper cutaway on the lower bout. Side by side, a JS has a deeper cutaway than an '87 540R. But an '88 540R has a deeper cutaway than a JS. The '87 guitar is also noticeably thicker than the JS and '88 models. Somewhere it also says that Joe's guitar is a slimmer 540R. Yes, compared to the '87 version. No, compared to the '88 version.

The ultra-sleek '88 version 540R was gone somewhere in '91-'92. Before, Ibanez had two sets of tooling. One was for the sleeker 540R and the other for the JS. Now, they just had the JS. As far as body shape is concerned, these 540R bodies and the JS bodies are the same.

So what was this thread about again? Oh yeah, price. The 700 and 800 listings for Radius guitars on ebay have been sitting there for several weeks. But, those sellers don't appear to need money in a hurry. I think that 450 - 600 is a fair range. I bought a frankenstein '87 Blue Burst the other day for $525 shipped. That was too much I think but I'll recoup by selling off most of it. I only wanted the body and the neck if the neck was to spec (it had an '88 neck on it).

More 540R info is here:
http://www.ashbass.com/Ibanez/Guitars
My favorite paint job is CF3.

-
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 09:29 AM

ashbass,
thanks for the analysis. Good to hear i'm not the only one liking the Radiuses so much, and that i still have to learn
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 09:29 AM

PS: how did you get your hands on a Shocking pink one?!?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 AM

Hey ashbass, amazing collection and nice to see an Ibanez fan not obsessed with only RG or Jems! I liken it to a Gibson fan who likes the SG over the Les Paul or a Fender fan who likes the tele more than the strat, or at the very least a guitar player who finds less common models as desirable as the flagships.

-artcore and blazer fan here
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:29 PM

I bought mine for $700 give or take a few. But, it had a maple fingerboard which, apparently, after consultation here on the forum, is extremely rare. It is also pretty much my dream guitar, so 700 was actually a steal
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I bought mine for $700 give or take a few. But, it had a maple fingerboard which, apparently, after consultation here on the forum, is extremely rare. It is also pretty much my dream guitar, so 700 was actually a steal
What year and what color? I have an '88 jewel blue 540R HSS with a maple board. Rare indeed!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
What year and what color? I have an '88 jewel blue 540R HSS with a maple board. Rare indeed!
Nice! Mine is also an '88 HSS, but in Jewel Red. You can see some pics here: Click!

Last edited by Viper-sfm; 01-29-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Tags
radius

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode