1989 RG 550 advice? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

1989 RG 550 advice?

Hello
Looking for advice I have a 1989 rg 550 and it's been driving me nuts it has warble sound on G string and other areas's . Also some area's of the fret board sif I perform a slide the note does not ring out at has the worse warble sound I have heard. I have playing guitar for at least 20 years it has fret wear and some unexplained fret wear on 24th fret. I have done the set ups on the guitar and unable to get the warble sound out of the guitar.
So do I bring it a pro to have them see whats is going on?

Or

Do I just go in a get a new guitar?

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 09:32 AM

Re: 1989 RG 550 advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmytruck View Post
Hello
Looking for advice I have a 1989 rg 550 and it's been driving me nuts it has warble sound on G string and other areas's . Also some area's of the fret board sif I perform a slide the note does not ring out at has the worse warble sound I have heard. I have playing guitar for at least 20 years it has fret wear and some unexplained fret wear on 24th fret. I have done the set ups on the guitar and unable to get the warble sound out of the guitar.

Or

thx
It sounds like you need professional help, almost certainly fret leveling and recrowning, possibly even a few replacement frets if the localised wear is very bad.

Take it to a luthier for an assessment and they can quote you for the work.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

When does it not become finically feasible, to repair guitar? How much could re-fretting cost? They estimated a set up 80 bucks. I have been looking a few guitars at $500 range and it is tempting to just get a new one but will it be as good as 89 RG550?

What is concerning is the fret wear on the 24th fret.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
When does it not become finically feasible, to repair guitar? How much could re-fretting cost? They estimated a set up 80 bucks. I have been looking a few guitars at $500 range and it is tempting to just get a new one but will it be as good as 89 RG550?

What is concerning is the fret wear on the 24th fret.
A 1989 RG550 is a thousand dollar guitar, even in its current state it's worth five hundred.

The 'wear' on the 24th fret is of no concern whatsoever because it doesn't affect any of the other frets.

Get the work quoted, then make a decision.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 07:09 AM

Eliminate every possible issue before investing in a new guitar, neck or fret job.

All screws tight?
Is it setup properly; string retainer in right position, nut height, truss rod, saddles in good condition, intonation correct, correct trem angle?
Can you hear it acoustically?
Can you hear it amplified clean and dirty?
Are your pots clean and working?
Is it all selector positions?
What is the distance from string to pickups?
Are you slapping the trem arm? (that’s a joke)

I think after exhausting all of these options you should have it checked by a pro. Most will charge you a bench fee that can be applied to any necessary repairs or adjustments.

I think it really depends on your relationship with the guitar. Do you have the money to spend? I’m not sure of the availability of necks through Ibanez these days, but there are plenty of people ready to do custom work.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:42 PM

You really need to keep that Guitar. I doubt seriously you're going to find one to match it. Japanese ibbys from that era are getting harder & harder to come by for good reason. People hang on to them. Not for potential resale value but because they're just great Guitars. Get it fixed. I have an 86 Roadstar 2 with battle scars. It is a true relic because it has been well played, & it continues to get well played.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Hello
It would help to know what you mean by a "warble sound" as I would never use that description related to the frets. A warble technically is a raising & lower in pitch. Much like a warped vinyl record or wow & flutter on tape.
Or on a guitar its usually relating to the tremolo. If a trem has a slight amount of play (several causes for this) then when fretting or bending a string the trem will react more than normal.
Have also had something might describe as a warble from a bad nut. Even a locking nut can have issues.
But if you could post an audio or video sample it might help,.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply had a nightmare of a time at GC. Took the advice and went GC and to get an idea on how much it would cost to repair and the repair guy tells me to come down on Sunday. I show up Sunday and was informed the do not do repairs on Sunday. So I assume he must of just made a mistake. So I show up today and call ahead to ensure they are providing repairs and they stated yes but the guy leaves at 7:30 even though the repair hours state until 8. Well long story short I show up and ask for help and they page repair guy, and I wait for 15 minutes. Another rep walks to me and asks me if I need help and I state I waiting for the repair guy. At this point two employee are having a conversation that this repair guy most likely left for day and he has a habit leaving when he wants. They finally get him on the phone and they informed that is on lunch and needs five more minutes. Amazing I just left.

How do I attach sound clip?

Last edited by xmytruck; 10-19-2018 at 10:29 PM.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:39 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of Guitar center. If there was a repair I couldn't do myself, I'd try a smaller guitar store. All guitar center really cares about is sales. I used GC once for a setup, all it took was once, & I started doing all my own work. Learning & improving the process, I'm usually able to get my action below factory specs with no fret buzz. Good Guitar techs are getting harder to find. All the old ones are getting old, & there's no younger ones to take their place.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply had a nightmare of a time at GC. Took the advice and went GC and to get an idea on how much it would cost to repair and the repair guy tells me to come down on Sunday. I

How do I attach sound clip?
I would never go to a GC's repair dept. for anything but a string change unless you know the guy and his capability. Its usually very hit & miss (usually miss) there and have seen instruments they have ruined, needing further repair on the repair they did. I bought a Jackson Soloist a year ago off Craigslist real cheap I fixed & sold. Almost everything GC touched was messed up. Most are just starting their careers or have limited experience, learning on the job & your instrument. Some stores will sub the work to a local luther but you are paying more than if you go direct.

If you can't attach a sound file here, post on youtube, soundcloud or many of the websites (Google them) for posting sound files.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Does 240 bucks sound reasonable to redress the frets?
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Shop near here charges about $100 not including a setup though I always do that myself. But my own guitars I do myself everything except replacing frets.
You do realize you will lose fret height which can have a negative effect as well? And are you 100% positive that will solve your issue?
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
It sounds a lot cheaper than the 500 you were just about to throw away on an inferior instrument!
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Quote:
It sounds a lot cheaper than the 500 you were just about to throw away on an inferior instrument!
Wow $240 sounds a little high to me. Around here a total refret costs about that. Go to GEETAR gizmos.com. They got a lot of good stuff on there for dressing of frets & other stuff.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggleyoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Quote:
Wow $240 sounds a little high to me. Around here a total refret costs about that. Go to GEETAR gizmos.com. They got a lot of good stuff on there for dressing of frets & other stuff.
I'm assuming that the price quoted is for everything the guitar needs to play like new and that it will require no further work. So it's a fair price for a lot of skilled work by a professional Luthier.

Tags
rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode