1990 Black/maple RG550. New color wanted... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

1990 Black/maple RG550. New color wanted...

So I have this black RG550 I bought it new back then, it has been with me for all these years. It has had a few mods from time to time and currently looks like this:

Since I feel a little bored with the color after all these years, I am thinking about repainting it.
1st color that came to mind is white. this is what I wanted to buy at that time, a white RG550, but the Greek dealer didn't have any in stock (there were a few DY available but didn't like it back then )
2nd thing that came to my mind is do a sunburst finish that would go nicely with the perloid pickguard and the maple neck. (that's the reason it is photographed side by side with my Levinson) the thing that bothers me about it is that I don't know how it would look with the black hardware and pickups. I'd like to avoid changing these (high cost).
3rd: A light blue color, like daphne blue, or a nice automotive light blue.
4th: Strip the body, leave it natural, or oil it. I am a little sceptical about this since I don't know how many pieces the body is made from, or how ugly the basswood is.

A few others have crossed my mind, but please be my guest and suggest anything that you thing would go nicely eith my guitar.
Thanks in advance for all the sugestinons!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 03:01 PM

Re: 1990 Black/maple RG550. New color wanted...

Personally, I wouldn't bother repainting it.
If you dont plan on doing all the work yourself, you would probably spend more to get it repainted than you would picking up another used one of a different color.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 03:58 PM

Yeah these arent all that expensive to find now used, and yours looks great to me! Add a single coil to it and i would be in love. Nice guitar man dont repaint it! And is that a blade strat i see next to it?
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Dee

Stick with the black. Personally I'd ditch the pickguard, put a regular black/white/black 3-ply on there and return it to stock. Either that or have a custom pickguard made and load it with a H-S pickup config, plus lose the tone knob.

Sorry to be boring, but I agree with Elcid, it's not really worth spending money on a new paint job considering what you can pick up another RG for. The current paint looks to be in good condition anyway.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 08:57 PM

Somebody around here posted photos of an off-white, cream one recently and it looked pretty cool.

I kind of like the black with the white pickguard though. I've got a black one about like that, with the black pickguard and truss rod cover, and I like what you've done with yours, was thinking of doing the same with mine, except I hadn't thought about the truss rod cover.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Well, repainting will cost next to nothing for me, since I will do the stripping of the paint, sanding etc, and I have a friend with a car bodyshop who can paint it and clearcoat it for me for a couple of beers.

I expected more creative ideas from this forum, since you're always complaining tha Ibanez produces more black guitars than it should...
I like the guitar as it is, but I am looking at it like this for 17 years. I need a change...
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

OK, so I removed all hardware from the guitar body and I will start removing the old paint tomorrow, I still haven't decided on the color yet.

I was on a car color shop in the morning and I saw some vey nice white metalic paint that looks like pearl, and I also found a really sweet shade of blue similar to daphne blue.

Still undecided though and I will strip all of the paint first to see how many pieces of wood it is made of, the grain patern etc. Might do a sunburst, or a see through stain...
As you can understand I just could not stand the black anymore...
Ideas on a new finish are always welcome...
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 03:06 PM

Light blue (like daphne blue, as you mentioned) with a white pickguard and green HSH pickups! I'd like that with maple, and it would be pretty damn unique.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 03:41 PM

I'd go with something completely different - maybe a chunky sparkle or metalflake with a matching color mirror pickguard. I have an old RG570 I'm thinking about refinishing that way in a sparkle orange with and amber pickguard (I'm trying to go as obnoxious as possible.)

I think you should go all-out or keep it the way it is - especially if you can do it on the cheap.

Cheers,
Danny
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 04:00 PM

Try stained finish.. I always liked natural colours on guitar..
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 04:33 PM

thats awesome that you've got a new project, but you have to ditch the pickgaurd. That fretboard looks great. A 550 is one of the best project RGs you can have IMO. that looks horrible with the H-H. lol I'd throw in a single coil in the mid position too. I was in the same boat, black guitar undecided on color. i decided to swirl it. came out amazing! Just be aware you may have some difficulty with this being your first project. Its tough to get even coats and not have any mistakes. good luck. also, check out projectguitar.com and this site for some info. doing searches for previous threads might be your best bet.

Last edited by RG462; 10-04-2007 at 04:47 PM.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Why not give that color changing paint a try, like the color on the Mystic Dream Petruccis? I know it's a car paint, so it should be easy for your painter friend.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

I have seen it today, the make was Glasurit, and it looked exactly like the Petrucci one (at least without having a guitar for direct comparison).
http://www.glasurit.com/Products/Pas...s/Fantasy.html
I just can't think of what pickguard would look nice with this one...
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 05:34 PM

Reviews: 120

If you are a car geek there's probably a car that has a certain colour paint that you just love the look of. I made a custom guitar with my Dad and loved the R34 Nissan Skyline in Bayside Blue, so I went with that colour. It looks awesome!

It's one of my favourite paint colours on a car or guitar!

There's one way of choosing a colour anyway.
LonePhantom is online  
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 05:34 PM

I would go with a different shade of black....j/k.

The white metallic paint you mentioned sounds really cool!

Tags
alder body , black pickguard , black pickups , body shape , coil mode , custom guitar , custom pickguard , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , edge trem , guitar body , ibanez backstop , ibanez neck , jem vwh , magnus olsson , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , neck joint , neck plate , neck position , pull tone , pull tone pot , road flare red , rosewood board , sunburst finish , tone zone , truss rod , truss rod cover , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode