1991 RG760 to restore it, or not to? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

1991 RG760 to restore it, or not to?

Hello all,

been reading this fine forum for a while, searching for information about an old RG I've. According to the s/n it's an 1991 RG760. And looking at the Ibanez catalogue from that year I believe that to be correct.

So, a little history, I've had this guitar for close to 10 years now, I bought it from my brother back in the day when their band disbanded and I knew it was a good piece so I wanted to keep it in the family. My brother had bought it about 2-3 years prior to this. But my brother let a family friend repaint the body (tell me about it.. but he was 17 at the time, for his defense) and it's hideous. The original paint had some pretty rough road wear, some cracks and dings but nothing major. I liked it as it was. Now it's a spray painted abomination which is more blue than purple that it's supposed to be. The headstock is still in original color though. When my brother bought it, someone had set it up with EMG pickups and circuitry, and drilled a hole to the body for the extra knob (I hate these knobs as well). The bridge pickup is an 81, as I looked under it, the others only had an "IB" sticker underneath. Any ideas what these are? The rest of the hardware is stock, so cosmo black edge tremolo and so on. The knife edges in the tremolo are in good condition. The frets have some wear but I think they are original. All in all, in playable condition and stays in tune, the major downside are the looks.

However, even after I had it set up at a local luthier (who should be ok) the sustain of the guitar was unimpressive, ringing notes tended to dim out surprisingly quickly, at least when comparing to the other guitars I've (a Les Paul, PGM and a Tele), so I've been contemplating on changing the pick-ups to something a bit more versatile. Nowadays I like to play music that's doable with without so much training, as I've too much grown-up chores on my hands. I consider the RG as the swiss army knife of the guitar world so something to suit that idea.

Currently I've it dismantled it and since the paint job is already ruined I gave it to a friend who owns a company specialized in advertising tapes who's gonna tape the top of the guitar with a pattern I made for him. Perhaps then I can stand looking at it. It's a small, inexpensive and very reversible experiment and I should have it back in it's new form by the end of the week.

Re-painting it back to stock color would set me back about 350€.

Pictures of the guitar in from my Onedrive link since i cannot insert a link before I've 10 posts. Remove the spaces after the : and you're good. https: //1drv.ms/i/s!AlIsCVXNnWpUhQ0Ddhx8cHaPmldW

So, if this was your guitar what would you do with it? Does it make any sense to spend basically it's value on it to bring it back to it's former glory? And if I did, what'd its value be if it had been repainted, modded, then restored and so on?

Thanks for the tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 03:54 PM

Re: 1991 RG760 to restore it, or not to?

Just like restoring most cars, your investment won't increase the value by the amount you spend. I think most people restore stuff because the item is meaningful to them. If that's the case, I'd go for it. I would say unless you prefer the original color, I would paint it whatever color you want because I don't think painting it the original color will make it more valuable than any other color, unless of course you pick an ugly color
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 06:00 PM

Reviews: 120

There's your link: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlIsCVXNnWpUhQ0Ddhx8cHaPmldW

Well the guitar is valuable to you, so I'd say it's worth it. The sustain may be lacking if you've got the pickups too close to the strings, although I think EMGs don't have as much of an issue with being close to the strings to the extent that passive pickups do. May be worth a try lowering though.

To save money on the paint work maybe try doing a bunch yourself. The paints already a bit rubbish, so do some reading on diy painting, sand it back and give it a go yourself.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
There's your link: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlIsCVXNnWpUhQ0Ddhx8cHaPmldW

Well the guitar is valuable to you, so I'd say it's worth it. The sustain may be lacking if you've got the pickups too close to the strings, although I think EMGs don't have as much of an issue with being close to the strings to the extent that passive pickups do. May be worth a try lowering though.

To save money on the paint work maybe try doing a bunch yourself. The paints already a bit rubbish, so do some reading on diy painting, sand it back and give it a go yourself.
Being active, EMG pickups have very low magnetic pull. EMG suggests to keep them as close as possible to strings, so I doubt that lowering will increase sustain.
Did you try it with fresh 9v battery?

So if sustain can not be improved other way, putting pasive pickups will usually make it worse.
So advice is to stay with EMG.

Some times, with sustain, helps to slightly unscrew neck screws under tension, let the neck move to bridge side, to touch neck pickup side of neck cavity, then screw back but not overtightly to overcompres heel wood.

I would only change pickup switch top and knobs, and I would take away third knob only if it is in the way to using original position knobs and pickup switch, if not I would use it.

Last edited by peromucho7; 08-09-2017 at 08:24 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:17 AM

That's a nice guitar... I'd definitely fix it up!
FireEagle is online  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
Being active, EMG pickups have very low magnetic pull. EMG suggests to keep them as close as possible to strings, so I doubt that lowering will increase sustain.
Did you try it with fresh 9v battery?

So if sustain can not be improved other way, putting pasive pickups will usually make it worse.
So advice is to stay with EMG.

Some times, with sustain, helps to slightly unscrew neck screws under tension, let the neck move to bridge side, to touch neck pickup side of neck cavity, then screw back but not overtightly to overcompres heel wood.

I would only change pickup switch top and knobs, and I would take away third knob only if it is in the way to using original position knobs and pickup switch, if not I would use it.
Yeah, I tried with a new battery, made no difference. As for the neck, do you mean slightly loosening the neck screws in the back so the string tension pulls the neck firmly against the body? I guess I could try that when I get it back.

Any idea if the RG stock metal knobs fit these EMG pots? I'm not sure if they're all the same industry standard size or not. Genuine knobs seemed surprisingly expensive on eBay for such a simple item so it would be nice to know they fit in the first place.

But yeah, thanks for all the advice guys, I guess I'll see how it goes with tape. I think I'll keep it and restore it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keperi View Post
Yeah, I tried with a new battery, made no difference. As for the neck, do you mean slightly loosening the neck screws in the back so the string tension pulls the neck firmly against the body? I guess I could try that when I get it back.

Any idea if the RG stock metal knobs fit these EMG pots? I'm not sure if they're all the same industry standard size or not. Genuine knobs seemed surprisingly expensive on eBay for such a simple item so it would be nice to know they fit in the first place.

But yeah, thanks for all the advice guys, I guess I'll see how it goes with tape. I think I'll keep it and restore it.
Yes, I meant, to unscrew slightly neck bolts, to let neck to moves right, to touch neck pickup side of neck cavity, then screw it back. it worked for me, and with that type of neck could work for you.
I am not sure about pots, I assume that if it has small screw to tighten it, it should do. (Some pots are without screws)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:12 PM

nice.... and the blue isn't too bad

LIke JS said if you are going to change the color? make it a color you want

those are great guitars I love the late 80s early 90s RGs..... more than just a shredder IMO

ether way enjoy
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

So, I had the guitar taped to hide the awful paint until I get around to paint or swirl it. While waiting for the tape I stumbled upon a nice instruction video on how to make a satin neck finish by Ben Eller, and because I accepted no substitutes I ordered some Tru-oil and Gun stock wax from Ebay and sanded and re-finished the neck at step dad speed. While I was at it, I polished the frets and oiled the fretboard with some F-one oil. G-string bridge saddle screw had loosened up and I could not find a small enough allen key in the house tonight so I did not get to test drive it properly yet. But turned out better than I expected! Sharp eyes may notice the inspiration to the design from the pictures which are now added to onedrive
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 04:50 PM

in your pics
I am digging those lego-ish pokodots with the drop shadows... would look even cooler with some matching pickups and such

I just received a '87 rg560 today.... sadly i need to repair the neck ( very typical crack at the locking nut) but i love those old RGs

I'll post some pics one of these days
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACS-plus View Post
in your pics
I am digging those lego-ish pokodots with the drop shadows... would look even cooler with some matching pickups and such

I just received a '87 rg560 today.... sadly i need to repair the neck ( very typical crack at the locking nut) but i love those old RGs

I'll post some pics one of these days
Thanks, dunno if I'll pull the trigger for the matching pick ups and knobs since this was originally supposed to be just a temporary solution. But yeah, the older RG's are great. Waiting for the pictures of yours!

Tags
rg760

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode