1992 RG 550 Stock Pickups vs Evolutions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

1992 RG 550 Stock Pickups vs Evolutions

Greetings,

I new here. I just bought a 1992 RG 550 (black with maple neck, square neck joint). I was thinking of putting a set of Evo's in it (readily available and cheaply), but I though I'd solicit a few opinions from you guys. My band plays really wide and varied spectrum of stuff - funk to R&B to, blues to classic rock straight through modern rock. I was worried that the Evo's might be TOO hot. Wasn't sure if they'd calm down well if I roll back the volume knob.

Opinions? Stock RG 550 pups?

Oh yeah - very cool forum.
Years ago I owned a 540S LTD, but sorta went over to Stratville. Of recent I've been jonesin' a JEM, but dont really have the $$ at present (although I'm considering parting with a couple Strats and Explorers), and I heard that the RG 550 was a good "poor man's JEM".

Peace,

jb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 10:53 PM
rya

Re: 1992 RG 550 Stock Pickups vs Evolutions

I love the tone AND hotness of my Evo's, but i you're not into that, get Air Norton and PAF Pros
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Gex

I dont know if you'd like evos for the cleaner styles.

I would get some PAF Pros. . thats what I have in mine. They work for just about everything
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 11:15 PM

Or a ToneZone in the bridge and PAF Pro in the neck - the TZ is a bit warmer and rounder than the PAF Pro in the bridge, and balances really nicely with the PAF Pro in the neck possie. Evos sound a little cheese grater-ish to me.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Any sabre-rattling/cheering for the stock RG 550 pup's?
I just returned from surfin' the DiMarzio site - anybody up on PAF Joe pickups as opposed to PAF Pros?
Any proponents (or haters) of the Fred pickup? My one time to try them (in a satch ibanez), they had a weird overtone thing going on. Wasn't sure if it was the amp (hotrodded Marshall) or the pickup itself.

Thanks guys, truly

Peace,

jb
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 11:59 PM

No love for the stock V1/V2's, they are really poor. I actually really like the V7/V8's, they are so much better. The Evolution should work well for what you're going for.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 01:18 AM

Go to www.bareknucklepickups.com and order yourself a Rebel Yell or VHII set and Irish Tour single coil for the middle, that's what I would do. If you want something a bit hotter and more geared towards metal, but that will still clean up too go with the Nailbomb set - the Irish Tours seem to balance really well with the Nailbombs too. I've heard people play jazz on a Nailbomb bridge and it sounded great!

Tags
air norton , maple neck , neck joint , paf joe , paf pro , paf pros

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode