1994 Ibanez RG450DX with crack in body - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 1994 Ibanez RG450DX with crack in body

Hi guys,
Does anyone know if it is common for older RG's to form cracks in the body behind the trem. post?
I have had this happen to my RG450DX. I replaced the body with an identical one, only to have it happen again on the opposing side, and worse this time.

Is this something I should be worried about?

The first pic shows, if you look carefully, that the bridge is crooked, leaning more up on the right side.
The second pic is similar, but you can see better that the post is actually leaning as well.
And the third pic, is a picture of the first body I replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 621.JPG (82.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 626.JPG (88.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 561.JPG (81.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by erikheffner; 05-17-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Picture info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:05 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: 1994 Ibanez RG450DX with crack in body

I've seen this once before. the crack is actually the result of another problem. The trem anchors (the part the stud screws into) have softened the wood around them enough to actually crack the header in front of them. It IS repairable.... you should not need another body this time......
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply..
Any idea on the cost to repair, and if I could possibly do it myself easily?
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:12 PM

There are a few things you'll want to consider to keep this from happening again.... both will be a MASSIVE upgrade to your guitar..... The first thing to do is find a nice condition edge-pro bridge..... you can find them as cheap as $50 on the used market, The second thing to do is call Rich @ www.Ibanezrules.com for a set of new "super studs" and anchors.... I think he sells them for around $50 a set, but you'll have to talk to him to make sure. The rest of the process is all about you taking some time to repair the crack and installing the new inserts. It's an easy job that will take you about an hour+ plus drying time for the glue........

If you want to know more you can PM me....

Ryc
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:16 PM

I forgot to mention that this problem is cause by the non-locking studs on your TRS 2 bridge (that and the poor general design of the bridge itself)....If you were to keep this bridge, you can probably count on the problem returning...

You can absolutely do this yourself....... If you can work a drill,hand saw, and some glue... you'll be more than qualified!!!....lol
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Well I am not too sure about messing with upgrading my bridge. I understand that the LO-TRS II is not too great, but at the same time I really never use the wammy bar at all.

And if I were to go to that extent, I have read I could just do a direct swap OFR.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

I mean, I never use the tremolo at all, I set it up to the proper floating specs, tune it up, lock the neck studs and play a bunch of power chords lol.
Would you still claim if I never used the tremolo system, that it would crack again?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 PM

yup, the problem happens because the studs wiggle slightly every time you hit a string. In fact I'd guess that not using the trem might actually add to the stress, but I don't know that for sure.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:50 PM

just for thoughts.... how many springs are on the bottom of your trem??
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm.
So what would you say to swapping with a OFR, including all the hardware, such as new studs..?

...If I had the money, I would just grab a 550 and laugh it off lol.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

And there is 3, 2 on the far sides and one in the middle, the spring "clip" is angled to compensate for a thicker gauge on top (Ernie ball skinny top heavy bottoms)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikheffner View Post
Hmmm.
So what would you say to swapping with a OFR, including all the hardware, such as new studs..?

...If I had the money, I would just grab a 550 and laugh it off lol.

unfortunately OFR's don't come with locking studs, plus buying a new one would cost you more than finding a nice Edge-Pro and the studs/inserts. The Edge-Pro is one of Ibanez's best trems...especially with the locking stud upgrade.

The OFR is a better option than using your original TRS though. The OFR does come with larger and more stable studs and inserts. plus the OFR itself is VASTLY superior to the TRS in terms of tuning stability and longevity (I suspect that your TRS is worn out by now).

Either trem that you pick will require the same amount of work to install, so the choice is yours (of course.....it's your guitar....lol)

No matter what you decide, there's a bunch of us that will help you get you guitar repaired and your trem installed properly.

Ryc
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikheffner View Post
And there is 3, 2 on the far sides and one in the middle, the spring "clip" is angled to compensate for a thicker gauge on top (Ernie ball skinny top heavy bottoms)

You don't want to angle the spring "claw"... it puts uneven tension on the studs. THIS is probably the reason for the crack...... You really need to have the claw set as evenly as possible....... when it's set even, the springs can spread the tension evenly to the studs. It works a lot like a rubber band, when short it's really easy to stretch but when it's already stretched out....it's a lot harder to make it stretch further.... hope that makes sense.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 PM

I have to sign off for the night....... If you have any other Q's or thoughts, feel free to PM me but also post them here.... there's a lot of guys that will jump in to help you out too....
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
unfortunately OFR's don't come with locking studs, plus buying a new one would cost you more than finding a nice Edge-Pro and the studs/inserts. The Edge-Pro is one of Ibanez's best trems...especially with the locking stud upgrade.

The OFR is a better option than using your original TRS though. The OFR does come with larger and more stable studs and inserts. plus the OFR itself is VASTLY superior to the TRS in terms of tuning stability and longevity (I suspect that your TRS is worn out by now).

Either trem that you pick will require the same amount of work to install, so the choice is yours (of course.....it's your guitar....lol)

No matter what you decide, there's a bunch of us that will help you get you guitar repaired and your trem installed properly.

Ryc

Ok cool, I will save some money in due time to upgrade to the EDGE-PRO, and discuss the upgrade with the good people here when that time comes.

Tags
body , crack , ibanez , rg450

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode