1995 RG470 strange discovery - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

1995 RG470 strange discovery

Hi all. I bought this guitar brand new, in fact i had to order it fro a guitar store near Clarksville when I was stationed at Ft. Campbell, KY. Anyway it was just a black plain-jane RG470. A couple of years ago I decided it needed a new paint job. My cousin started and nearly completed a nice candy red over black and silver "marblized" paint job, the the guitar some how got lost. We recovered it a couple of months ago with ssome body damage and normally it would be something I could easily fix. HOWEVER, the damage surprisingly revealed that underneath the original paint job, the body actually had either a cream colored or old petina white binding. I was blown away to find this. Does anybody else have any experience with finding unexpected features underneath an original finish or paint? I cand understand why Ibanez would take the time/labor, money, and materials to bind a body, and then just paint over it AND use it on a RG470. I know these days body binding isnt that big ove a deal but back in the early 90s you would never find it on a 470... maybe one of you more experienced guys who are in the know can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:28 AM

Re: 1995 RG470 strange discovery

Check this chip on my rg370 (and ignore the mess of acrylic paint on the guitar). The original color is Roadster Orange Metallic. Look how deep the sedimentary layers of orange paint go until it reaches a strange blue/green. Its like Ibanez had to spray on 1000 coats of orange over some old green body and presto but that's just a guess.

That being said the guitar weighs a ton, but resonates well despite all the paint on it.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Holly crap! Thats all original!? Are you planning to strip and refinish? If so, good luck... I know these things are near impossible to strip without a jackhammer and a blow torch!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:01 AM

Re: 1995 RG470 strange discovery

Well the brushed on acrylic paint isn't, lol. I can't remember how the chip happened but it didn't come that way. It doesn't bother me at all, so it's there to stay. I bought this new from some online warehouse a few years ago on sale for $250 bucks and it plays/sounds great!

EDIT: http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG370DXZ

If you scroll down you can see how the finish originally looked

Last edited by Leviathus; 02-16-2018 at 01:07 AM. Reason: added link.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode