2 Important Questions on my Ibanez J-customs Edge Pro - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

2 Important Questions on my Ibanez J-customs Edge Pro

As Some may know, I have had my Ibanez J-custom RG8670 for a few months now and I've just been playing my guitar lately, I recently placed new strings, whilst doing so, one of the saddles was awfully loose and slid down [Ibanez Edge Pro Trem] - so It screwed some part of the innotation. Luckily I corrected it and all the notes sound ok, no flats or sharps and it's all good. So after that...if I pluck my strings hard or 'normally' there's a Rattling noise...I'm unsure where the hell it's coming from but I have a feeling it's the Trem. It's quite annoying, but can only be heared Unplugged. Any Ideas?

Also My trem seems quite I don't know..wierd..When I Gargle on it, it doesn't seem as smooth as it used to. Whammying and dive bombing still feels the same but when you just touch that trem or make the 'gargling sound' it doesn't feel what it used to? Can a Whammy be too worn in?? Any ideas? I have a fair feeling I might have knocked the trem off it's knife edges, - Edge Pro's tend to have bad knife edges but aren't so bad. I might get it checked out in a store..

But any other ideas? Pleas help if you can and thanks too.. Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 08:25 PM

You should post some pics dude
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 10:35 PM

Hmm, I'll be watching this thread. I know that my edge-pro seems very smooth and tight compared to what I'm used to, maybe just because it's brand new. If I bump the bar, it flutters very rapidly and easily making a cool laser gun sound if I hit a high harmonic, which I'm pretty sure my other guitars won't do so nicely. Maybe with some wear, this one will quit as well? Hope not.

It's not completely obvious how to change strings. For instance, I have so far had to change one string, and so I unlocked the bridge for that string, and unscrewed the, umm, thingy far enough (which it wasn't quite clear just how far "far enough" was, and I almost went too far...) to allow the old string (and ball end) to come out... then, I put the new string (with ball end) into the same place and clamped down and tuned up. Then, flipping the guitar over, I see these plastic red things in the trem cavity where it appears the ball ends are supposed to reside, but on the new string I put on, the ball end is just kind of dangling off to the side. Well, I knew that you could still cut the ball ends off if you want, so I figure it's not really a problem and I've left it as is. But, it's not clear how you're supposed to land the ball ends into those red plastic things... except maybe "very carefully." Maybe I should google "edge pro"
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 11:38 PM

I just cut the balls off and do it the old fashioned way.

(i can't wait to read this out of context someplace)
~K
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
I just cut the balls off and do it the old fashioned way.

(i can't wait to read this out of context someplace)
~K
If you think you're so old fashioned, I leave my balls on, but keep them up near the holes in the tuning machine posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlame
You should post some pics dude
I made a thrad of it a few months back - you can visit it here:

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=33521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Lepidoptera
Hmm, I'll be watching this thread. I know that my edge-pro seems very smooth and tight compared to what I'm used to, maybe just because it's brand new. If I bump the bar, it flutters very rapidly and easily making a cool laser gun sound if I hit a high harmonic, which I'm pretty sure my other guitars won't do so nicely. Maybe with some wear, this one will quit as well? Hope not.

It's not completely obvious how to change strings. For instance, I have so far had to change one string, and so I unlocked the bridge for that string, and unscrewed the, umm, thingy far enough (which it wasn't quite clear just how far "far enough" was, and I almost went too far...) to allow the old string (and ball end) to come out... then, I put the new string (with ball end) into the same place and clamped down and tuned up. Then, flipping the guitar over, I see these plastic red things in the trem cavity where it appears the ball ends are supposed to reside, but on the new string I put on, the ball end is just kind of dangling off to the side. Well, I knew that you could still cut the ball ends off if you want, so I figure it's not really a problem and I've left it as is. But, it's not clear how you're supposed to land the ball ends into those red plastic things... except maybe "very carefully." Maybe I should google "edge pro"
Yes it's quite hard to place the actual ball ends of the strings into the red plastic ball holders, as they either don't land centre of it, or manage to go to one side or the other! So it takes a bit of time to get it perfect - when i recently restrung it, There was only one string that gave me ahssle, so I just basically lost my patiences and cut the ball end off and clamped it down. It takes a bit of time, but I remember when I had my J-custom it's trem was so perfect and smooth. No it feels different after the saddle fell loose - When you flick the trem bar it doesn't flutter as smooth.. I'm not sure, but it doesn't feel like it used to..

So anyone have any ideas??
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 06:48 AM

I had a floral jem that did that same thing. The saddle would vibrate on certain notes. Drove me nuts. In my case it appeared I needed to replace the entire saddle. The saddle had a rivet or pin in it allowing slight movement. If the pin wasn't pressed in enough it will be loose thus rattle. Once I figured out what it was I was ok with it. I ended up taking a thin peice of plastic about .005 to .010" thick and shimming it. I placed the shim in between the saddles. No more noise, no issues. It never fell out,, I forgot all about it. If you are having the same issue I was, that is one fix. Of course best to just replace it, even though there is nothing wrong with it other than it's loose. It won't affect you intonation, the noise will just drive you nuts.

~A
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Vendor

If it's saddle buzz you can swap the saddle with a fine string saddle that doesn't create as much vibration
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

ahh interesting...Thanks for your help...

Must be the saddles vibrating.. I don't particularly want to change the saddle..is it expensive??

Is it worth doing the 1st method with the plastic? Or is better to replace the actual saddle?

What abou the actual trem feeling different..it doesn't feel as smooth when it flutters? Kife edges possibly?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 01:35 AM

Regarding the smoothness of the trem...is your bar holder coming loose?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory
Regarding the smoothness of the trem...is your bar holder coming loose?
Yes it is, but I followed the Jemsites instructions by using nail varnish etc etc, and it actually worked, but the nail varnish is coming off for some reason...making it loose again!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 02:28 PM

Go to the tech section on www.ibanezrules.com mate. Rich has posted instructions on how to make the bar holder tighter. I think it involves removing the trem though.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 04:38 PM

Are you selling the guitar? There's been an RG8670 on ebay a few days with pictures that look extremely similar to the ones you posted when you bought your RG a few months back..
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 07:11 PM

I saw that one too. I was gonna bid, but I emailed the guy and he said he's lost all the tools and the whammy bar. I'm not desperate for that guitar so I'm not gonna waste time and money buying new tools and a whammy, especially as the bar is the whole point of Floyd Roses - they lock so you get more use out of the trem, which rather involves the arm itself!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelusion
Are you selling the guitar? There's been an RG8670 on ebay a few days with pictures that look extremely similar to the ones you posted when you bought your RG a few months back..
Yeah the pics look quite similar..but it's not mine! I wouldn't sell it!!

Tags
edge pro trem , floyd rose , ibanez edge pro , string saddle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode