2 serial numbers on my J Custom ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

2 serial numbers on my J Custom ?

Hi !

There two serial numbers behind my RG1880's headstock :

one is the regular one F99XXXXXXX and the other one is written with red characters, without the "F" and the number is not the same.

What does it mean ?
Why has it been numbered twice ?

Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 10:22 AM

Is it possible that the store you bought it from stamped that red number?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

I don't know : i'll check it tonight

actually I got it from Brent who got it from another guy who bought it in Japan

it's difficult to have informations about it
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 01:26 PM

I am pretty sure all J-Customs have two numbers, one that has the traditional Ibanez "FXX....." numbering system and some special J-Custom or "limited edition" number. All of the J-Custom models that I have owned that were made before 2001 had both numbers on the headstock (though it was not red, that may be unique to your model). Oddly enough I think my RG2420 (prestige) has two numbers as well, which is why I am thinking it is something they do with their more limited production guitars. Also all of my post 2001 J-Customs have two numbers but not on the headstock, one is in the J-Custom certificate and the other is engraved on the back of the headstock. I wonder if anyone knows what the other number is, I have been a little curious since I bought my J-Customs.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

sorry, you are right, it's written in black...

the short number is 990214 and the other one is F9905394

Maybe was it the 214th J custom of the year ?

My other j Custom (SC3120Nt) from 1998 only has the regular serial number...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 12:18 AM

I was just looking through my notes... a few of the guitars I had with dual serial numbers were the RG1880, RG-ART, RG1680x, and RG2420 (there may have been others... I can't find any record of the serial #'s for my RG2680m.) I don't know if any of them but the ART were really limited edition, but it certainly seems that the dual serial numbering was common on the high end guitars (J-Customs, Prestiges) made for the Japanese market. My late model RG770FM, however, only had a single number according to my records.

--B

Tags
custom models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode