20+ year project re-visited - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

20+ year project re-visited

(more or less cut-and-pasted from another message forum)

I'm just finishing putting back together a project that I built myself over 20 years ago, evolved away from, dismantled and stored the body and used the other major hardware in other home-made projects well over 10 years ago, I'd say.
But, with things brought to the fore with a lot of publicity for the official version of this (mentioned in other threads), I felt nostalgic and motivated to reassemble my old one-time main guitar.
Recent detailed information also allowed me to complete some elements of this replica that I hadn't bothered with originally (especially on the back, and also to do with a 1971 'accessory' sourced from the USA).

Unlike the official version made available just recently, this one is a snapshot from circa 1983, a time when I lived and breathed the instrument that this is a tribute to. It represents the strong inspiration for creativity and a certain wrecklessness to my playing, and for my willingness to take and build/modify instruments to suit my personal needs.
And while I wouldn't mind having one of the official versions, this one does pretty nicely, and has the correct neck on it for the time, which was just AMAZINGLY difficult for me to get, very wide/flat, and I really like the headstock style.
All hardware is of that time, in fact, save for the pickup which (believe it or not) is just days old (that'll make sense when you click on the link below). Turns out I'm not bad at 'relic' work on such things =]
Plays quite well - and I'm lucky, as the neck was stored with no string tension on it for over a decade. Fortunately it remains quite straight and solid.

Click here for a full front view

Comments/questions welcome.
I'll work toward putting up a little gallery of different views as well.
The other thing I'm going to try to do is put this up next to one of the official ones; there's a local store that has one locked in a display case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 06:53 PM

Re: 20+ year project re-visited

watch out for lawyers man.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 07:07 PM

Haha Elcid. So true.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Valid concern, but this isn't for sale - I think that might be the real sticking point for the lawdogs.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 07:12 PM

You never know with EVH
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 09:41 PM

Reviews: 120

Awesome stuff, looking good!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 09:47 PM

Reviews: 18

looks nice!

Jimmy
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments - and the notes of caution.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 12:32 AM

Look great man!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 01:59 AM

Just remembering where I was, 20 years ago, 1987, 1986, that timeframe.... cool. Wish I had a time machine. No, not quite a time machine.... what would I do, go back as my old-man self and tell my young-man self something? No... long as we're wishing, might as well wish to _be_ that young man... which is wishing for more than just a time machine. Crap, why does time have to be so ruthlessly cruel?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 11:36 AM

Cool. I'd love to see a picture of that next to the "real" one.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 11:38 AM

sweet mate, ive done a few but not like that, i dont think i could have taken something to the paint job, but truley great, i tip my make believe hat to ya!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 11:39 AM

Looks vaguely familiar.....but damn, I just can't place it!

Very nice job, I always liked the way those Kramer beak necks played.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 04:11 PM

Reviews: 1

cool looking man... the new EVH guitar is so overpriced (imho)... but who know... maybe i'm comparing apples and oranges...
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks - I am hoping to get some shots alongside the Fender/EVH model at that local store.
If I do, I'll post them. Otherwise, I've got some relatively similar angles I can put together to compare - there's no shortage of shots of the official replica.

Amazingly, I found online that the original Classic style ('beak') neck was up for sale - I have no idea of the price, but it also shows as sold...
Well, it turns out that it was taken and put onto one of the Fender/EVH replicas - to me, /that/ is the ultimate replica of that guitar. I shudder to think what they'll ask for that one...

I agree, btw; those necks are great; it's the widest one, which is made to use a #5 Floyd Rose nut - I wonder how many people have even heard of that?
I'm quite lucky that it kept its shape all those years with no string tension...

Tags
floyd rose , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode