2000 MIJ RG vs. 2018 Prestige RG - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By scallybert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

2000 MIJ RG vs. 2018 Prestige RG

More or less....

I haven't been keeping up on the year-by-year evolutions of the MIJ non-Custom line up in detail, really much beyond browsing the catalogs here and there over the last 20+ years.
I look at my 2000 RG570 and then look, online, at current Prestiges and besides all of the great options available now in woods, configs, finishes, etc. I ask are there any evolutionary increases in quality or other design upgrades/updates?
Edge is still the same Edge? Wizard better, stronger, faster? Is it the Lee Majors of Ibanez necks?

GAS for a Prestige trem and fixed RGx are causing these questions.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 07:13 PM

Re: 2000 MIJ RG vs. 2018 Prestige RG

I do not know anything about your model 2000 RG but I just purchased a few weeks ago an RG652AHM which is my first RG Japan made Prestige guitar. Now I can only compare it to my friends 1986 Ibanez PL1880BW which is a tung oil finish natural walnut front and back sandwiched into the middle is mahogany. It has an ebony fret board, maple neck and the original edge tremelo. His also has 2 single coils with a humbucker bridge with 3 toggle switches instead of a 5 way switch. It is Japan made as well. You can get some real good stratty tones on his because of the toggle switches. Now his neck is a little different. I do not believe it is like a wizard profile at all because it seems as though his fretboard is not as wide. With all of that being said though, that PL1880 of his is a very nice guitar but very different comparing it to my RG652AHM with maple fretboard and ash body. The wood is very pretty. The fit and finish is top notch. It sounds great. Neck feels good. It is probably the widest fretboard I own compared to my other guitars. Mine has the 5 way switch with 2 humbuckers. I am not sure how your RG is set up. Personally I know yours is a very nice guitar but the option of having more choices in the Ibanez line with maple fret boards is a plus in my book. I do not think they were as available back when you picked yours up. Their new choices that are available now that Ibanez is offering with the wood selection does make each of them have their own character. This all ash body I have on mine is very bright sounding. I know your having a hard time making a choice to get one or not but it never hurts to have an extra guitar either you know!! I do not know if I helped in any of your decision making or not but it is at least a little to go by. Good luck.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 08:07 PM

I have an RGR580 from 00. I also have one of the new RG550RFs.

I like both for different reasons. They are very different guitars in a lot of ways so they aren't great for a one to one direct comparison.

580: Mahogany body, MIJ Wizard II neck (little thicker profile) and direct mounted pups.

550: Basswood body, Prestige super wizard (about as thin as an OG wizard), pickguard.

In terms of quality? They are both top notch guitars. I sometimes don't know which I like better.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 12:08 PM

I asked a similar question a month or so back and here’s what I got from it.

According to Rich at Ibanez Rules the current production Prestige’s are some of the best they’ve ever made as far as consistency of build quality.

As far as how they’ve fared over the years it seems that the earlier ones were maybe a cut above the current as far as the Prestige neck finishing process and it varies from guitar to guitar. Can’t remember, but maybe it was supposed to be 6 extra steps the guitar went through if it was a Prestige. Around 2008 this dropped off a bit to current level which is still considered good for guitars at this price point.

From the feedback and testimonials, Rich basically gives you a hand finished neck and makes any needed adjustments to the setup, so your getting a step above Prestige neck finishing and a quality setup for about the same price as most are charging for a direct from Ibanez guitar. He’s releasing an special model made for him by Ibanez sometime soon.

That being said, I need to find someone like Rich that will handle the other Ibanez guitars cause I got my eye on something non-Prestige.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankhenrylee View Post
[...]That being said, I need to find someone like Rich that will handle the other Ibanez guitars cause I got my eye on something non-Prestige.
A data-point in this respect...

I took a brand new RG421-MOL to a reputed luthier for him to have a look at.

It was a bit buzzy at the low-end of the neck, and I wondered what could be done.

His view was that the first and second frets were slightly low; and that, while this could be fixed, it would be a fair amount of work.

Probably more than it's worth spending on a £300 [new] guitar.

My take is that whilst luthiers can work wonders; the underlying guitar needs to be good enough for this to be worthwhile.

I'd suggest a budget Ibanez, plus luthier work, doesn't necessarilly equate to a Prestige. If nothing else, the necks may be very different specs.
jemsite likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 07:56 AM

That depends on the model if I remember correctly. But all in all an MIJ from that era is equal to a prestige today. When I see prestige I think MIJ. Premium & mid-range = Indonesia, Gio = China. Hope it helps. Also prestige version of 570 is a 1570.

Tags
prestige mij

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode