2001 MIJ RG vs Genesis - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

4Likes
  • 2 Post By snaggleyoda
  • 1 Post By GearBoxTy
  • 1 Post By vy100
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Unread 08-04-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

2001 MIJ RG vs Genesis

I recently saw a used Ibanez RG (not sure of the number number) that was made in Japan. The serial number indicates it is a 2001 model.

Aside from the obvious tributes to the 1987 RGs and modernization, how does everyone think the Genesis series RGs compare to a Japanese-made RG from the early 2000s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Unread 08-04-2019, 08:54 PM

I have an RG520QS from 2001. Essentially the late 90s early 2000 fugijen models were the precursor to what is now marketed as the prestige line. Incredibly they can be had for reasonable coinage.
GearBoxTy and OldGeezer like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Unread 08-05-2019, 10:30 AM

Re: 2001 MIJ RG vs Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggleyoda View Post
I have an RG520QS from 2001. Essentially the late 90s early 2000 fugijen models were the precursor to what is now marketed as the prestige line. Incredibly they can be had for reasonable coinage.

I have the same model, but it may be a 2000... Amazing quality and picked up for way less that you'd pay for the "Prestige" name on the headstock.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Unread 08-07-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

It may be an RG570. It has V7, S1, and V8 pickups and is grey in color. No pickguard. I need to go back and see what kind of tremolo it has. If it is an Edge, I might just get it!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Unread 08-09-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I just bought a RG520QS yesterday. Won't be here until Friday. How do you like yours?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Unread 08-12-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Further review of the guitar verified that it is an RG570. It appears to be stock (V7-S1-V8, Edge tremolo, etc.). It plays great but it needs a proper setup.

There was also an RG550 Genesis in stock so it was cool to play the 2001 RG570 vs the RG550 Genesis. The 2001 RG570 has the all-access neck joint (AANJ). The RG550 Genesis has the scoop out of the back of the body near the neck but the neck joint is still a square block. Comparatively, the RG570 has better upper fret access than the RG550 Genesis...in my opinion.

I am still contemplating getting the 2001 RG570. $449 seems like a great price and the guitar is almost perfect; just a couple of chips on the edge of the bottom of the body.

All the pictures I took are too big to upload; I will try to reduce their size and upload again if anyone cares.
fos1 likes this.

Last edited by GearBoxTy; 08-12-2019 at 02:34 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Unread 08-12-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGeezer View Post
Quote:
I just bought a RG520QS yesterday. Won't be here until Friday. How do you like yours?
I'm loving mine, although the V7, V8 pups don't have quite as much bite as the pups in my 86 Roadstar 2, or my 88 Jackson USA tele. Been thinking about changing them out, just can't decide which ones to get. Otherwise it's stellar.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Unread 08-12-2019, 03:31 PM

Reviews: 3

The main problem with the new genesis models for me is the wider neck/fretboard (58 mm) compared to the old models (56 mm) at the heel. Everything else on the new marketed Ibanez guitars is exceptional.
vy100 is online  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Unread 08-12-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

I went back and played the RG550 Genesis and the 2001 RG570GN. Although the quality of the Genesis was top notch, the neck joint really pales compared to the AANJ.

So, I bought the 2001 RG570GN (Gray Nickel). I will give it a proper setup soon. My plan is to replace the V7 and V8 pickups with DiMarzio PAF Pros. I am not really a fan of the Gray Nickel so I am thinking about having the body refinished. If and when I do that I will have the pickup ring holes filled and I will use the FUTone.com P.M.S. Pickup Mounting System to mount the pickups. The question is...what finish should I change it to? Swirl? Sparkle? It should be something flashy.

I am excited for this project \m/
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Unread 08-14-2019, 12:47 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBoxTy View Post
I went back and played the RG550 Genesis and the 2001 RG570GN. Although the quality of the Genesis was top notch, the neck joint really pales compared to the AANJ.

So, I bought the 2001 RG570GN (Gray Nickel). I will give it a proper setup soon. My plan is to replace the V7 and V8 pickups with DiMarzio PAF Pros. I am not really a fan of the Gray Nickel so I am thinking about having the body refinished. If and when I do that I will have the pickup ring holes filled and I will use the FUTone.com P.M.S. Pickup Mounting System to mount the pickups. The question is...what finish should I change it to? Swirl? Sparkle? It should be something flashy.

I am excited for this project \m/
Swirl; that is what RG570s are great for.
GearBoxTy likes this.
vy100 is online  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Unread Today, 03:49 AM

Very cool. I just got my 520qs today.. I finally got it setup. The last person that had it must have not known about setting up a guitar. The strings were all the way to the fretboard and the trem was all the way down and you couldn't pull up at all basically.. Took me awhile but now she's playing like a dream.. I'm going to also change out the V8 pup in the bridge probably for a Dimarzio Super D.

Mine has a 5 way switch for two humbuckers so it will be interesting to hear all of the combos I can get / tones.. Very cool..

Tags
genesis , mij , rg5xx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in