2002 RG250: very noisy even after new electronics! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

2002 RG250: very noisy even after new electronics!

I have purchased a used 2002 RG250 made in Janap, SN F0214621.
The guitar is in good shape, has a Gotoh floyd rose and tuners, neck Duncan 59 with one braided connector, stock single coil middle and bridge Custom Custom with four connectors.

The guitar was noisy, specially when not touching strings. As this might be a grounding issue, I have disassembled everything, put new CTS 500k pots, shielded with copper tape, redone all wiring including the wire that goes to the bridge claws.
What I did not replace: Jack and switch.

The guitar is still noisy, loud hum when not touching the strings and a little hum when touching. To compare, I have a PRS SE that makes no noise at all.

So, could you guys help me figuring this out? maybe I need new jack and switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:57 AM

A problem is the unsplittable '59, how are you wiring the switch for position 4? You really need 4 conductor pickups on an HSH guitar.
Rtowell73 likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Re: 2002 RG250: very noisy even after new electronics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
A problem is the unsplittable '59, how are you wiring the switch for position 4? You really need 4 conductor pickups on an HSH guitar.
Position 4 he stays active with the single coil. Do you think that this might cause the hum?! Because it happens in all positions, most noticeable in positions 1, 3 and 5.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:19 AM

The best thing to do is post a photo of the wiring in the control cavity so we can see it clearly, it sounds like there is a short circuit somewhere, simply throwing random new parts at it won't make any difference, are you sure the switch itself is ok, try cleaning it up with contact cleaner.
oliver_p and godoy.rafa like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The best thing to do is post a photo of the wiring in the control cavity so we can see it clearly, it sounds like there is a short circuit somewhere, simply throwing random new parts at it won't make any difference, are you sure the switch itself is ok, try cleaning it up with contact cleaner.
Thanks man! The problem was the jack, I twisted it a little bit yesterday and the noise was gone. I'll replace it tonight.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

So, the noise continues. I only notice when I play at home because my building energy is dirty, at the studio where I play it is OK. But, my other guitar is quieter at home.

So, as I have replaced pots, wires and jack, and also took the guitar to a luthier to check and he said it is fine, could the source of the noise be the pickups? They are Duncan 59 neck single wire, stock Ibanez single middle 2 wires, Duncan Custom bridge 4 wires.

I was thinking about disconnecting one by one to see if I can isolate the problem, does that make any sense?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:01 AM

Are the control cavity and pickguard shielded? I'm still not happy with the '59 being a two-wire pickup on a switch designed to split the coils, are you jumpering the hot lead so it's active in positions 4 & 5 then?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

They are shielded with copper tape.
Yes, active in positions 4 (with the single coil) and 5.

The noise is the same in all positions.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godoy.rafa View Post
They are shielded with copper tape.
Yes, active in positions 4 (with the single coil) and 5.

The noise is the same in all positions.
The shielding is actually connected with its own separate earth wire? The trem claw earth wire is connected and everything is all earthed to everything else? Check this with a meter from the jack socket sleeve to every single earthed part of the guitar.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The shielding is actually connected with its own separate earth wire? The trem claw earth wire is connected and everything is all earthed to everything else? Check this with a meter from the jack socket sleeve to every single earthed part of the guitar.
No, the shielding is not wired, will do that.
Everything else is wired.
Will do the meter test.

What do you think about the pickups, could they be noisy?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:36 PM

Get all your ducks in a row with the earthing then tell us if it's helped before we start second guessing the pickups.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

I'll also check if the trem springs are coated, if they are that might isolate the bridge from grounding...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:51 AM

I don't use coated springs. To eliminate spring noise I use 3/16" ID fuel line. Costs about 20 cents/foot.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Get all your ducks in a row with the earthing then tell us if it's helped before we start second guessing the pickups.
Did the meter test, everything that should be grounded is grounded... What to do now?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:33 PM

Are you saying that you've grounded the shielding tape and it's made no difference?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode