2002 rg570 vs. 2003 rg350dx - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

2002 rg570 vs. 2003 rg350dx

I'm deliberating about buying a new guitar, and can't decide between the 2002 rg570 vs. 2003 rg350dx. I know of a place where I can get the 2002 rg570 for $370 or the rg350 for $335. I know that the differences in specs between the two and that the rg570, while not in the same league with JEM series models, is generally highly regarded; but I still have a few questions that I hope maybe some of you guys might be able to answer.

FYI, I plan to upgrade the pickups to Dimarzios regardless of which I buy, so the differences in pickups between the two models are not an issue to me.

1) The rg570 is made in Japan, whereas the rg350 is made in Korea. How much of a difference does this really make in terms of tone, playability, intonation, etc.? Is it just a matter of having slightly fewer instances of flaws-per-batch in Japanese-made guitars? Or are the differences pervasive, dramatic and noticeable?

2) The rg570 has the Edge trem, and the rg350 has the Edge Pro II. I'm not sure whether this should be a deciding factor or not - any ideas?

3) The rg570 has a Wizard neck whereas the rg350 has a Wizard II. I haven't come across a Wizard-equipped model yet, but I love the Wizard II's that I have played. I have heard that the Wizard is better - but how much of a difference is there really?

Note: one thing that I think the 2003 rg350dx has going for it is that, IMHO, it looks *way* cooler than the 2002 rg570. I'm a sucker for those sharkfin inlays on the rg350dx and the white paint with pickguard :-). BUT, I realize that any positive feelings I might have about how it looks will be nullified if I hate the way it sounds or can't keep it in tune, etc. :-) I just have a hard time getting excited about the greyish rg570 or the root beer metallic rg570 (by the way, does it really look like black in person? It appears that way in the pictures I've seen).

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 06:31 PM

no it doesn't appear black in person... but not a light brown like it does i nsome pics either.. really it depends o nhow the light hits it.

my RG570 has the worst paint job ever. i'm goin to get it refinished.

even though its a japanese guitar my paintjob seems really low quality.

oh well i'll liek it better when its a nice metallic green.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 06:53 PM

I think your not gonna get too much good response on this topic.

Cause I dont know too many people thats even played the 03 Edge Pro lines, My local Guitar center dont even know when they will even get one in stock any time soon.

But on paper, both seem to be close in options, the 570 will most likely have a better resale value due to the MIJ factor. But I agree with you on the paint, I dont know what Ibanez was thinking when it was deciding on paint options for the 570.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

colors available for 2002 rg570 in us...

What colors are available for 2002 rg570 in the US? I've only seen Gray Nickel and Root Beer Metallic .... but as I said already I'm not thrilled with either. Perhaps I could buy from a UK vendor, but I bet shipping would be outrageous.

Also, is the rg570ex (with the sharkfin inlays on the neck) available in the US?

What I want, I think, is a Japanese-made RG with sharkfin inlays and a nice-looking color (blue would be *awesome* but I'm open to others). Anyone selling a guitar meeting that description, or know where I can get one (and preferably at a discount)?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 09:07 PM

I have one of the $369 RG570s you are referring to.. Very nice guitar!! The Jumbo frets are a little too large for my tastes but the trem is top notch IMHO and the pickups aren't nearly the automatic replace I was led to believe..
I really like the V7 But I also just ordered a Jem and unfortunately they both can't stay unless I sell another of my instruments
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 10:08 PM

There's really no question... for the minimal price difference between the two right now, you're MUCH better off going for the Japanese-made 570. It's a better guitar overall to start with. It's tried-and-true, and the Lo-Pro Edge is known to be stable and a high-quality piece of hardware. The new Edge Pro trems are still an unknown for the long term. Japanese guitars will also have higher resale value if you ever decide to part ways with it later on.

I think the Gray Nickel finish with Powder Cosmo hardware actually looks pretty cool, if not a bit dull. However, paint can be changed, just as pickups can.

As good as the Korean guitars are getting these days, they're still not as good as the Japanese ones, and the blowout prices on last year's Ibanez models are too good to resist.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 12:02 AM

That Root Beer finish is pretty cool if you ask me - it does that presto-chango between black and brown depending on the light.

And with respect to the necks: the WII is beefier, and I actually prefer it to the W for this reason... still flat and fast, but the extra 2mm or so gives more leverage with the thumb behind the neck for bending and vibrato, especially on the first string. The majority of RG players prefer the W.

Even though the neck preference dictates otherwise, 570 is still the way I'd go.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 12:52 AM

Yeah, presented with the choice I'd go the 570. But if someone offered me a good deal on a nice 350 (without a competing 570), I'd have no hesitations whatsoever, judging by the couple of new ones I played last week. And if in a couple of years the neck pretzels on me or the trem posts give out, what the heck, I've got a junker to obliterate on stage
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 01:19 AM

Quote:
What I want, I think, is a Japanese-made RG with sharkfin inlays and a nice-looking color (blue would be *awesome* but I'm open to others). Anyone selling a guitar meeting that description, or know where I can get one (and preferably at a discount)?

the RG570ex and the 2003 RG2570EX are not available here in north america. (sadly)

you are in luck:
the 2003 RG2570EX sounds like it is exaclty what you are looking for.
it is MIJ, prestige wizard neck, shark tooth inlays, and comes in RBF (royal blue flat), and it is available in your part of the world!

it is on the pricey side, but it would be well worth it since it is exactly what you are looking for. so start savin' up...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikm5150
you are in luck:
it is MIJ, prestige wizard neck, shark tooth inlays, and comes in RBF (royal blue flat), and it is available in your part of the world!

it is on the pricey side, but it would be well worth it since it is exactly what you are looking for. so start savin' up...
Thanks for the info .... but where can I get the rg2570ex? It isn't listed among the 2003 Ibanez RG's that are available in the US - though it is listed among the models available in Japan; and a quick Google search for "rg2570ex" returns only Japanese sites.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avicenna77
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikm5150
you are in luck:

Thanks for the info .... but where can I get the rg2570ex? It isn't listed among the 2003 Ibanez RG's that are available in the US - though it is listed among the models available in Japan; and a quick Google search for "rg2570ex" returns only Japanese sites.
sorry, i thought you were in europe for some reason...
anyway, it is not available in the US.
but there is hope:
i asked my local ibanez dealer (here in canada) last month about ordering that exact same guitar, and they said they could special order it from japan. the cost was too much for me at the time so i didn't buy it, but it is possible! it was gonna cost me $1450 canadian, which is about $980 US.
so check with your local ibanez dealer...

then, there's always ishibashi.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

thanks for responses...

Thanks to all who responded!

I think I'll try to get an rg570. I'd rather have a better-quality guitar that perhaps doesn't turn me on quite so much with its looks than one that looks ultra-cool but is not as good in other areas. Besides, as darren pointed out, the appearance of the guitar can be altered.

Which leads me to another question - how much would it cost to have a guitar professionaly painted (just a solid color, basic job - nothing fancy)? Or could someone point me to a site that gives instructions for do-it-yourself guitar paint jobs?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
There's really no question... for the minimal price difference between the two right now, you're MUCH better off going for the Japanese-made 570. It's a better guitar overall to start with. It's tried-and-true, and the Lo-Pro Edge is known to be stable and a high-quality piece of hardware. The new Edge Pro trems are still an unknown for the long term. Japanese guitars will also have higher resale value if you ever decide to part ways with it later on.

I think the Gray Nickel finish with Powder Cosmo hardware actually looks pretty cool, if not a bit dull. However, paint can be changed, just as pickups can.

As good as the Korean guitars are getting these days, they're still not as good as the Japanese ones, and the blowout prices on last year's Ibanez models are too good to resist.
I think you took the words right out of my mouth darren, although I would argue, that a used 520 is more of what hes looking for. lol. the wizard one neck is far and away quite superior to the wizard two in terms of performance and construction, but the wizard two has the shape I prefer to touch, it just doesnt setup quite as smooth and low as the original wizard. The fretwork on the japanese guitars is "WAY" better as well. its all apples and oranges
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 02:58 AM

Go for the 570. THe bad thing about the 350 is the tremelo, it likely more or less sucks, but with a locking trem you expect either hte best, or to be able to at least upgrade it to the best, but I dont know if the new Edge Pro's are swappable with the old Edges or an OFR.

And about he 570 color options... UGH. I bought a Japaniese RG470 for $300 on blowout, in Sangria, because the 570's finishes royally blow. Sangria is such a pretty color, despite how purple it can be depending on the light, it's so nice to look at. The way I see it, the Lo TRS(which isn't really that bad... But I dunno about he TRS II...) can be swapped with an OFR, so you still leave your options open, and damn that guitar is beautiful...

And I have an AX120 in grey nickel, and that color is bland. It works on teh AX120, but I dont want to spend $300+ on a guitar in a color I dont even like, especially if it's the second guitar in that color! the AX120 is also Korean, and as solid as the AX120 is most of the time,(Aside from that damned input jack! GRR) that MIJ RG just feels... better. Not sure what it is, but it just feels more solid when you pick it up. But my acidic sweat is eating through the cosmo already.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 09:14 AM

The 2002 RG570 in Rootbeer Metallic is beautiful too.. and an awesome guitar. Just got mine yesterday and I love it. I've also got a 97' Sangria colored 470 and though beautiful too, IMO the Rootbeer Metallic looks better. But the hardware is Gun Metal colored on the 570 as opposed to black on the 470 which really sets it apart!

Tags
cosmo hardware , darren wilson , edge iii trem , edge pro trem , edge pro trems , edge trem , evo bridge , evo bridge pickup , ibanez dealer , ibanez models , jumbo frets , korean guitar , local guitar center , prestige wizard , prestige wizard neck , pro edge , shark tooth inlays , sharkfin inlays , sims custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode