2003 S470DXQM question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

2003 S470DXQM question

Hello all. I just got one of these, smoking deal!! But it came with a few issues. The ZR bridge is missing a few things and the wood the studs go into is cracked. Iím thinking just hardtailing it to strengthen the body and to eliminate the tremolo. I donít use them and no reason to keep it on there to adjust when a hardtail would be easier. Iím gonna plug the whole tremolo cavity with maple and then re-vaneer the whole thing to make it appear as a stock hardtail (donít think there was a slim body hardtail, was there??)

So what size bridge would I need? I really just need to adjust to intonate and string height.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:33 AM

Re: 2003 S470DXQM question

I'm aware of at lest two hardtail S-series S421 with "gibraltar standard" bridge and S521 (that's in current Ibanez line) with the standard fixed bridge.

But probably any bridge with low action will do. Are you going to put strings through the body too?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Id prefer to but if Iím limited to the bridges I can buy, I can do either. I actually found the Gibraltar plus, I, II and III right after I posted this.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 11:30 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Can you measure center-to-center stud spacing of the ZR in MM? I actually need that for a reference chart (the only one i'm missing).

As you know there is no hardtail bridge that will directly retrofit your ZR tremolo so since you're filling in the body front/back you get tons of choices from tune-o-matic compatables (Gotoh 501BN w/ height adjustable saddles if you want a separate tailpiece) but more likely the combined bridge/tailpiece Gotoh GTC101 for example
https://g-gotoh.com/international/pr...tandard-series
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Iím gonna have to wait until I get home. I was hoping someone had the measurement or knew of a bridge that would fit the guitar over the pickups and on the neck/nut area so I could order while Iím bored here at work.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 11:50 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

any will fit since you're top mounting and will have to reshim the neck. The GC101 for example is used on the JS1600 hardtail. But you need to think about the tailpiece (and if you want a tailpiece) these are string thru body (no tailpiece on the body top).

Rich's parts page has pics of most of the bridges/taipieces
IBANEZ RULES!! - PARTS FOR SALE

reference the hardtails mlusiak referenced above
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Right on! Thanks man! Iím coming from building strat and tells, Archtop restoration and this will be my first Ibanez resurrection. Couldnít pass it up at $60!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakespade View Post
Hello all. I just got one of these, smoking deal!! But it came with a few issues. The ZR bridge is missing a few things and the wood the studs go into is cracked. Iím thinking just hardtailing it to strengthen the body and to eliminate the tremolo. I donít use them and no reason to keep it on there to adjust when a hardtail would be easier. Iím gonna plug the whole tremolo cavity with maple and then re-vaneer the whole thing to make it appear as a stock hardtail (donít think there was a slim body hardtail, was there??)

So what size bridge would I need? I really just need to adjust to intonate and string height.
I would suggest you try pulling the studs and gluing and filling the holes & cracks, redrilling and re-installing the old studs, reinstalling the trem and then just blocking the tremolo since you dont want to use it anyway. Much less work and it will probably end up looking better than you're veneering idea. Those finishes just DO NOT LIKE TO COME OFF! This is just my opinion though. I dont like trems either but i have 3 RGs and one S with various Edge systems. One of my RG bodies has the same issue. I didn't even fill the cracks. But I don't use the trem either. I just put the Edge 3 it came with on there and play it like normal. Works great but then again they weren't big cracks and i don't know how bad yours are. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Yeah... I sold the tremolo, have a hand built Strat style neck, going to fill the trem cavity and middle pickup section, sand down to make sure everything fits and fill the spaces between the full wood and body with wood filler, mock up the new humbuckers and tail, sand the body smooth and then repaint it. Slap some strings on and play it until I finish up a few other projects.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode