2007 RG550mxx vs. 2019 RG550dx - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

2007 RG550mxx vs. 2019 RG550dx

Hey folks, I need some help choosing between two RG550s.

I found a used 20th anniversary 2007 RG550mxx for $840 used. There is also a new 2019 RG550dx in the store nearby for $1100, no case or gig bag. Just as a background I hope to play a lot of 80s era hard rock, e.g. Mick Mars, Randy Rhoads with it.

In terms of sound and play-ability, I liked the RG550dx more.
I know most folks don't love the V7/V8 but I liked them. Tone wise it was beefier and warmer with more output. I liked that a lot. It also felt better to play overall, both guitars seemed similarly set up but the RG550dx felt more effortless to play on. I could easily bend the strings with minimal effort and glide around the fretboard.
Biggest downside is the cosmetics and cost. I had my heart set on a neon guitar, and this RG550dx is darker ruby red (still looks great though). On top of that, it is $1100 new, plus another $150 for a hard shell case.

The RG550mxx is also really nice but not quite as good as the RG550dx. It plays well, but I feel like i need to put more force into my bends when playing. There's just more string tension and resistance when playing. In theory, since it's almost identical to the RG550dx, I should be able to get it to feel and play the same if set up well...but I also know that often times no two guitars are exactly alike. It also chokes out and buzzes at the 17th fret, so I may need to raise the action more if anything, thus making it even more difficult to play.
Also it has V1/V2 pickups stock from 2007. I like these a lot, and they sound pretty good but not quite as beefy or warm as the V7/V8 in the RG550dx. And since it's a limited edition guitar, I feel bad modifying or changing pickups and feel like I have to keep it stock.

BUT the RG550mxx is cheaper than the RG550dx, it's a limited edition guitar and unique in that it has the V1/V2 pickups stock and I LOVE the neon yellow color. Plus, I get a cool yellow case.

Should I give the RG550mxx a chance? is it a better guitar or better value than the RG550dx? Can I get the RG550mxx to play as well as the RG550dx?

Specs:
2007 RG550mxx
-V1/V2 pickups
-Original Wizard neck
-Original edge tremolo
-Neon yellow with maple board

2019 RG550dx
-V7/V8 pickups
-Super wizard neck
-Original edge tremolo
-Ruby red with granadillo board

TLDR: 2019 RG550dx plays and sounds better. 2007 RG550mxx looks nicer, limited edition/unique guitar and lower cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 01:49 PM

20th anniversary models will hold a bit more value if you ever have to resale, they supposedly came with a special certificate, case, engraved trem cover and strap

I know it doesn't have the v7 and 8, but there's 100s of listing on eBay since Alot of people hate them. (I don't mind them) I've purchased 4 or 5 sets over the last few years and never spent more then $50 for v7 s1 V8 bundles.

As far as moding the guitar, I know the feels.
However the 550 is pretty easy and noninvasive to swap things out.
I didn't want to mess with my 87 550, but you only need to unsolder 2 wires from the Input Jack and tremolo claw.

Literally everything else can be pulled up untouched and stored safely in its case.

From there, not including the pickups, it would only be like 25 bucks for pots switch and wire and you can literally go back to stock by soldering 2 wires, and move your new pickup set up to any 550 type guitar without disturbing the set up.

All that said,
Have you considered just going for a Genesis?

They are great 550s and come with the v7 and V8 combo.

I have seen many Genesis in the original neon colors on reverb pretty cheap. Ranging 600 and up.

I actually got my road flare red Rg 550 for 500 new! (And I'm a lefty)

The feel is pretty great and is almost identical to my original rg 550 from 87.

The only difference is the neck and personally I feel that change is warranted. It will add to the longevity of the guitar.

The only big issue I had is that it's a prestige guitar that doesn't come with a case.

That said if you can get it cheaper then retail, you can always buy a case with the savings.

What Color are you after?

Last edited by KennyV; 07-15-2020 at 02:16 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Re: 2007 RG550mxx vs. 2019 RG550dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
20th anniversary models will hold a bit more value if you ever have to resale, they supposedly came with a special certificate, case, engraved trem cover and strap

I know it doesn't have the v7 and 8, but there's 100s of listing on eBay since Alot of people hate them. (I don't mind them) I've purchased 4 or 5 sets over the last few years and never spent more then $50 for v7 s1 V8 bundles.

As far as moding the guitar, I know the feels.
However the 550 is pretty easy and noninvasive to swap things out.
I didn't want to mess with my 87 550, but you only need to unsolder 2 wires from the Input Jack and tremolo claw.

Literally everything else can be pulled up untouched and stored safely in its case.

From there, not including the pickups, it would only be like 25 bucks for pots switch and wire and you can literally go back to stock by soldering 2 wires, and move your new pickup set up to any 550 type guitar without disturbing the set up.

All that said,
Have you considered just going for a Genesis?

They are great 550s and come with the v7 and V8 combo.

I have seen many Genesis in the original neon colors on reverb pretty cheap. Ranging 600 and up.

I actually got my road flare red Rg 550 for 500 new! (And I'm a lefty)

The feel is pretty great and is almost identical to my original rg 550 from 87.

The only difference is the neck and personally I feel that change is warranted. It will add to the longevity of the guitar.

The only big issue I had is that it's a prestige guitar that doesn't come with a case.

That said if you can get it cheaper then retail, you can always buy a case with the savings.

What Color are you after?
Thanks for the detailed info.

I have to look more carefully, but I don't think mine has the certificate. The case is beat up but it came with the special case.

And thanks, that's really helpful to know about the mods being non-invasive. I was worried I'd ruin the resale value by changing pickups and messing with the wiring, but if it's minimal and doesn't affect the guitar or value then that makes me feel better about being able to modify it.
Glad the V7/V8 sets aren't too pricey. Are the V1/V2 pickups from 2007 highly desired usually or worth more?

And wow 500 is a great deal! I did and still am considering the new genesis guitars, they were actually the first ones I looked at. But I tried a road flare red 2018 genesis model in the store too, and it sounded and played worse than both the 2007 RG550mxx and the 2019 RG550dx. I was surprised that the 2018 road flare red genesis was worse than the RG550dx since they're essentially identical guitars except for cosmetics, but it might have been due to a poor set up in the RFR genesis guitar.

I'm looking to get road flare red or dessert sun yellow. Love both of the neon colors. If I found a 2018 RG550 genesis in either of those colors that played and sounded as good as the RG550dx, I'd take that first.
Seems like there's good deals out there though, so maybe I'll pass on the RG550mxx for now and try to get my hands on a neon colored genesis model that plays and sounds good.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 03:03 PM

The way I see it is that a on store guitar is never a true statement of what the guitar sounds like at its best.

They are never maintenanced.
So strings are prob old, action may have been bad and Floyd may have been wonky.

The v1/2 set are normally more sought after by the ibby-snobbs who want to collect.

However, most die hards will always say that it doesn't matter what Ibanez you have, it was made for a DiMarzio upgrade and sell the pickups anyway.

I've seen sets of v1/v2 go anywhere from like 50 to 200 for a single pickup.

I have 3 guitars with the 1/2 combo.
I like them Alot more then the v7/8, but I don't dislike the newer 7/8 either. They are just different.

I think the reasons most people don't like them is because they are stock.

And the more expensive jcrafts come with DiMarzios, so people assume that the more affordable option means bad in this case.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 03:12 PM

Here is a dessert yellow rg550 2018.

It is used but in pretty good shape with 1 scratch near the input Jack.

The owner did replace the bridge pickup, but you may be able to ask h to change it back.

He did also loose the Genesis neck plate because he swapped it, but you can always get another one made. Lots of people offer laser etch service for neck plates on eBay.

It also comes with a hard shell Ibanez case. The m300 I think.

He is asking a pretty fair price, 715.
Might be worth looking at.

https://reverb.com/item/34545683-iba...aple-fretboard
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The way I see it is that a on store guitar is never a true statement of what the guitar sounds like at its best.

They are never maintenanced.
So strings are prob old, action may have been bad and Floyd may have been wonky.

The v1/2 set are normally more sought after by the ibby-snobbs who want to collect.

However, most die hards will always say that it doesn't matter what Ibanez you have, it was made for a DiMarzio upgrade and sell the pickups anyway.

I've seen sets of v1/v2 go anywhere from like 50 to 200 for a single pickup.

I have 3 guitars with the 1/2 combo.
I like them Alot more then the v7/8, but I don't dislike the newer 7/8 either. They are just different.

I think the reasons most people don't like them is because they are stock.

And the more expensive jcrafts come with DiMarzios, so people assume that the more affordable option means bad in this case.
That's very true. It's unfortunately that many good guitars probably get passed up due to not being well cared for in the store. I def notice the smaller shops are better about it. Maybe I'll give the RG550mxx a chance with at least a set up check before sending it back.

That's good to know the V1/V2 seems to hold value for some folks. I'll give them another chance as well. What about the V1/V2 set got you to like them more than the V7/V8? How do they differ sonically?

Quote:
Here is a dessert yellow rg550 2018.

It is used but in pretty good shape with 1 scratch near the input Jack.

The owner did replace the bridge pickup, but you may be able to ask h to change it back.

He did also loose the Genesis neck plate because he swapped it, but you can always get another one made. Lots of people offer laser etch service for neck plates on eBay.

It also comes with a hard shell Ibanez case. The m300 I think.

He is asking a pretty fair price, 715.
Might be worth looking at.
Wow! Thanks for finding this. Glad to see there's some good ones out there on the used market and it's less than what my RG550mxx was going for.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 08:02 PM

I feel like the v7/8 set is more rounded.

The neck and bridge sound the exact same to me. Just obviously the neck is smoother because it's in the neck.

Like it's not a fantastic set of pickups, but it can get the job done in most any situation.

You want clean tones? Gottem
You want crunch? Gottem
You want heavy distortion?? Gottem
You want to produce pinch harmonics? Yup. Gottem.

They are very well rounded as a pickup, but I just feel if I had the option, there are also many other pickups just as rounded, but have a bit... More. Not sure how else to describe them.

Someone else in the forums here described them as "the world famous, and most Okish set of stock pups".
I have to agree. For stock, they are fantastic, but they are still just ok.

The older v1 and v2 however, are a bit more extream in their tones.
Because these were meant to mimic the DiMarzio Evo of the time, (coming off the Jem production high) they are snappy, sharp and have much higher out out.

They have natural crunchy quality to them that just reminds me of 80s rock, and have an interesting sharp clarity to them anywhere or any setting I put them in.

The ones on my 87, 88 and 90 rg550s sound almost exactly the same so I think it's part of their characteristics of the pup, but I'm almost any position, I get a bit of a strat like vibe, but it's masked in a super saturation of balance between the bass mod and highs.

It's like listening to 2 pickups at the same time. Really hard to explain.
Closest I can get is like saying my neck pickup sounds like there is a single coil trying to sing louder then a Humbucker but it's blending in to well.

That tone gives it a very warm snappy feel even for a Humbucker.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I feel like the v7/8 set is more rounded.

The neck and bridge sound the exact same to me. Just obviously the neck is smoother because it's in the neck.

Like it's not a fantastic set of pickups, but it can get the job done in most any situation.

You want clean tones? Gottem
You want crunch? Gottem
You want heavy distortion?? Gottem
You want to produce pinch harmonics? Yup. Gottem.

They are very well rounded as a pickup, but I just feel if I had the option, there are also many other pickups just as rounded, but have a bit... More. Not sure how else to describe them.

Someone else in the forums here described them as "the world famous, and most Okish set of stock pups".
I have to agree. For stock, they are fantastic, but they are still just ok.

The older v1 and v2 however, are a bit more extream in their tones.
Because these were meant to mimic the DiMarzio Evo of the time, (coming off the Jem production high) they are snappy, sharp and have much higher out out.

They have natural crunchy quality to them that just reminds me of 80s rock, and have an interesting sharp clarity to them anywhere or any setting I put them in.

The ones on my 87, 88 and 90 rg550s sound almost exactly the same so I think it's part of their characteristics of the pup, but I'm almost any position, I get a bit of a strat like vibe, but it's masked in a super saturation of balance between the bass mod and highs.

It's like listening to 2 pickups at the same time. Really hard to explain.
Closest I can get is like saying my neck pickup sounds like there is a single coil trying to sing louder then a Humbucker but it's blending in to well.

That tone gives it a very warm snappy feel even for a Humbucker.
Wow, I'm thinking back to my comparison of the RG550mxx with the RG550dx and you're right. I understand what you're describing. I guess to me, it felt like a lack of low end compared to the V7/V8 but you are right it's more clear and dynamic. It's not the tone I'm looking for right now...but I might give these a second chance.

Are the reissue V1/V2s in the RG500mxx model considered to be a good recreation of the original older V1/V2s from the 80's and 90's?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 08:24 PM

I think the reissued v1 and 2 is meant to be the same as the 80s ones.

They actually stoped using the 1/2 and moved to the 7/8 in the late 1990 year, and on lefties in 91.

The v1/2 was made in USA by DiMarzio I believe, but the 7/8 has been made in Japan since.

Tags
rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode