2007 RGT42FX - any owners or users here? Comments? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

2007 RGT42FX - any owners or users here? Comments?

Based on my other thread recently on the whole topic of drop tuning and alternate tuning etc. and being the noob that I am I got to thinking whether I should pick up another guitar, this time one with a fixed bridge to help make it easier if I'm changing tuning.

Currently my only electric I own is a new RG550MXXRF.

Looking at the RGT42FX model, based on the on-paper specs it appears to have the following differences to my RG20th:
- fixed bridge
- neck-thru
- mahogany body
- H-H pickup config, with different pickups
- rosewood fingerboard
etc.

And seems to be priced at ~$630 USD (or ~$715 CDN) new at most places, which doesn't sound so bad.

So my question is, do you think this would be a worthwhile investment for me to pick one of these up as a 2nd guitar? Besides being a fixed bridge, are those other differences I've cited above enough for me to notice a completely different playing experience to justify having a 2nd RG in my "collection"?
(I always figured I'd probably get to the point where I'd want to own multiple guitars someday but hopefully each one I buy would bring something different to the table, and not just have collection of "similar" guitars).

Thanks.

Jason

Last edited by Inzane; 08-23-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Re: 2007 RGT42FX - any owners or users here? Comments?

BTW, does anyone know, do the RG Fixed models that come with neck-thru still MII, or are they MIJ?

Thx.

PS - I suppose I could also consider the cheaper RGR421EXFM, which is not neck-thru and is definitely MII...(or is it MIK?).

But cheaper at ~$450 USD.

Last edited by Inzane; 08-23-2007 at 11:28 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

hmm... no comment on these hardtails yet?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
BTW, does anyone know, do the RG Fixed models that come with neck-thru still MII, or are they MIJ?
None of them are MIJ.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 11:34 AM

id personally just find an older model, and buy it used for like 300.. I got my RGT trem for $400 used, so im sure you can buy a fixed bridge one for 300.. altho im not a fan of buying any guitars new, just dont validate the money spent imo
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 01:07 PM

agreed, look on e-bay. in fact, i saw a rgt42fx with a quilt on their last week going for about $350. probably would've picked it up myself if i wasn't worried about not liking the neck, which is something you might find will affect your ability to embrace the guitar. the rg550 reissues have the wizard profile and i believe the rgt's are wizard 2s (correct me if i'm wrong). may not make a difference to you at all, but i prefer my main guitars to have the same neck profile and specs.

Tags
alternate tuning , fixed bridge , mahogany body , rosewood fingerboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode