2008 Epiphone Slash - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

2008 Epiphone Slash

I was able to play one of the new Epiphone Slash models this weekend at my local shop and I have to say, I was really impressed. The build quality was top notch and the guitar really felt good. I used to have one of the older models with the snake decal on the top and this one seems to be a lot better quality, a little heavier with more attention to the detail on the finish and assembly.

I was just wondering if anyone else had a chance to play one and see what your thoughts are?

I am seriously thinking of picking one of these up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:08 AM

Re: 2008 Epiphone Slash

There was a thread on here discussing the merits of newer Epiphones. I think there was a general belief that their quality has gone up quite a bit.

If you do buy it, please come over and post pics.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

I will definitely post pics and a full review. I am going to go back over during lunch today to see if they have any that are not hanging on the wall. The one I played was being passed around quite a bit the day I was there and if possible, I would like one new out of the box.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:17 AM

Hopefully anything out of the box won't be a dud. Could be that the store did a setup job on the to-be-displayed model.... On the other hand, if they could do it, so can you.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Good Point. Hopefully they do not mind pulling the guitar out so I can play it before buying. I definitely want to see the quality of the flame maple top. The one on display matched up really nicely.
I can always clean up the guitar when I get it home.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:11 AM

Looking forward to the review - as Ibateur alluded to earlier, Epiphone's build quality really has picked up a lot over the past few years. I have an 07 G400 and 07 LP Ultra which are far, far better instruments than an old LP studio model I had around 02.

The Slash model's been hotly anticipated (and a little controversial) since they started advertising it last year, then abruptly pulled and delayed it, then brought it back.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:41 AM

doesn't anyone find the MSRP of $1464 a bit expensive for an Epiphone?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Wow, I did not realize that they had pulled it back? I wonder what happened there?
I have to say, I compared it to the Gibson version and there were definitely some upsells on the Gibson, but for the price and the the actual inital view and playbility, I will go for the Epiphone.
The sound was comparable between the two and the playability and feel of the neck was spot on. I was also very surpirsed how close they were in weight.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte_za View Post
doesn't anyone find the MSRP of $1464 a bit expensive for an Epiphone?
Not really - that means a street price closer to $1000, which would be about right for a new Elitist or comparable model. Epi doesn't just make entry grade products
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

They told me $999, but said they "Can work on that price."
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johliatay View Post
They told me $999, but said they "Can work on that price."
$999 is the typical street price now, but here's what I was referring to earlier - a lot of people preordered this model from Musician's Friend for $699, then it abruptly disappeared for a few months before GC started listing it at $999.

Then, it apparently reappeared on MF's site for $999 (not a surprise since MF and GC use the same warehouses). The specs apparently did not change and I couldn't find any substantive explanation for the disappearance and price hike. I'm guessing they were not happy with the initial build quality and moved all production to their plant in Qingdao, China, which is operated solely by Epiphone and not some third party factory like we see in Cort, Fujigen, etc.

Check the serial number on the headstock - if it begins with EE (for "Epiphone Electric") it's probably a rock solid piece. That factory really does make top notch equipment for the money. And this coming from a guy who prefers Ibanez and Fender
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight. I will defintely look at the serial. I never even knew that.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:17 PM

It's a sweet looking axe - but it's an awful lot like the regular LP standard plus top - just with a different finish and pickups (and minus the pickguard). Why would someone spend the extra $400 for the Slash sig? I'm assuming the quality may be a bit different . . . and I guess the neck joint is a little better.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:30 PM

Here's a little news blurb & interview about the establishment of the Gibson Qingdao plant.

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=868

If the Slash model is indeed made there, which wouldn't be a surprise, that still wouldn't explain the higher cost. Better pickups and a little different manufacturing process to accomodate the longer neck tenon help explain it, but not totally.

I'd bet the bulk of the price difference is due to at least one of these things:

It's Slash, so it's more expensive than a standard LP w/maple top (check)

They may use better woods, with thicker maple tops, to meet more strict spec requirements (this is one area where Epiphone is notorious for product variance, at least in their standard production lineup...with a LP Standard Plus Top you may have a mahogony back with maple cap and flamed maple veneer on one guitar, while on another the cap is alder with a flamed maple veneer. It all depends on what was available on that day).

Putting on my tin foil hat - There may have been a screwup along the lines that caused the aforementioned disappearance/delay, and they may be trying to rocover from unforeseen product and/or labor costs, be it from a move in production location or a widespread factory defect.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:41 PM

How much are Gibbo Studio's in the US?I ask becuase no matter how good the build quality of the Epi Slash is I'd rather have a cheap Gibbo than an signature Epi.
But that's just my opinion!

Tags
custom shop , flame maple , flamed maple , gibson les paul , grover tuners , les paul , neck joint , neck tenon , pink floyd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode