so i'll chime in even though I technically have both: '08 S5470 + 95/96 S540FM
so the reality here is: 24fret vs 22fret; they're two different beasts despite the near similarities.
- neck is very similar to a modern RG Prestige - 5 piece, volute, pearl + 1 abalone inlays and silky feel. Arguably the "stronger neck", the 1st-12th fret has similar profile to my S540FM
- thinner edges(!)
- ZR2 bridge: haven't had a problem with it and the flutter is insane without the bracket
- stock pickups are ok, not enough bite for my taste, that's why I installed a D-Activator X bridge + D-Activator neck
- stock switch is a 5-way similar/exact to a YM-50... limited to H-S-H config
- "classic" S shape + neck profile - 2 piece, all abalone inlays, with a "light sheen" of gloss ; these are very versatile for any music style
- i'm not into gold hardware but love how it offsets the guitar's appearance; pretty sure they changed the hardware to cosmo black around 97/98.
- Lo-Pro Edge; can't be beat however.
- "flame top" is on both sides
- stock "QM" pickups are slightly better than V7/V8s but not my "style"... so in goes a pair of BKP's
- stock switch is a VLX-91, higher quality switch to wire H-H-H config if needed.
Originally Posted by fly_with_v
Is the 2008 S5470 Prestige quality on par with the golden age S series? Are the 2012 S5470 better than the 2008?
I must admit: i purchased the 5470 new vs the 540fm on the 'bay... both are quality instruments since they're both MIJ but the latter is 1/3rd price of the former. I actually like the 540fm more cause its "broken in" and doesn't have that "new guitar smell" lol
can't say I've checked out a 2012 S5470 (non-FM or FM) recently so I can't help ya with that one :P