2012 RG350MZ vs RG550 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2012 RG350MZ vs RG550

I firmly believe that the new 2011-2012 RG350Ms are like the RG550s of today. If some of you don't know, they have been upgraded with the Edge-Zero II with ZPS which in my opinion is every bit as good as an original Edge. They have even incorperated the locking stud system into these new RG350s. I was looking to buy an RG5XX earlier this year but after reading about some of the neck warping issues and the fact that they were 1 piece just kind of put me off I guess. I know that the V7-V8 combo of pickups are leaps and bounds over the INF combos, but pickups aside. If you could hold an RG5XX and a new RG350M up and scrutinize them what would be the REAL differences other than what I mentioned. Like I said; Stud locks; same. Trem, both on par. Pickups, we know are different. So discounting those, lets hear it. I know the original wizard was 17mm at the 1st fret so minimal difference in necks other than minimal thickness and pieces. How about fretwork? My 350M has Excellent frets, no dressing needed as far as I'm concerned. I'm not being ****y at all here either guys, I just think I got a great one, and I think it's a little unfair when some say the new 350s don't hold a candle to the older 550s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:20 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: 2012 RG350MZ vs RG550

have you played a 550/570?
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:29 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI_RGplayer View Post
have you played a 550/570?
Have you actually played one of the new 3xx or 4xxs?
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:56 PM

I'm afraid you're going to be in the minority on this one. I doubt if many on this site would say the EZII is "on par" with the Edge. It's not a terrible trem, but it's no Edge. I don't know what you're talking about warping - I've owned in the neighborhood of 75 of the older 1-piece wizard necks, and NEVER had a warped one. The neck profile is also quite different. Quality of hardware, electronics, quality of materials, overall QC, etc. Not the same.

You're getting into the Indo vs MIJ debate that's been beat to death on this site. There's no such thing as something for nothing, and the RG350 is an economy guitar for a reason. There's also a reason why the RG500's are still (20 years later) one of the most recommended guitars on this site.

Hey, if you're happy with the RG350, that's great! They look good and for a lot of people they do just fine. But I don't believe they're on the same level. I'll stick with the RG500's.

And yes, I've played all of the above.

EDIT: If I had to pick the true modern day RG550, I'd say the RG1570. Low end of the Prestige line. Still the better quality hardware and materials, just in a no frills package. I see the Indos as more like the modern day EX series (though Premiums are somewhere in-between).
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 PM

Reviews: 120

The non-GIO models are no where near as bad as the EX series!!! Gios yeah, maybe, but not the regular line.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 09:43 PM

the older the guitar the stiffer and stronger the neck....neck definite warped overtime after long period and need to adjusted from time to time....rg350 will also warped in few yrs time if you never adjusted it before...rg350 is new compare to 90s rg550s...so only time would tell how durable is that guitar...ive played rg350 yellow dessert maple neck...it looks identical like the rg550s maple yellow body..but the neck feels thicker abit but not much different...but the smoothness of the neck is not the same with guitars that are over 10 yrs old...even the newer jems neck wont have the same feel like those 90s made jem...if wevcould keep the guitar for longer period than we would know...about the tremolo...egde is consider the 90s technology...the newer ibanez floating tremolo of course should be the upgrade version of the old..even the j custom uses edge zero tremolo...as long its original ibanez not fake,it should be good quality..its all depends on preference of what tremolo model you like..indo is cheaper because of the currency lower and cheaper factory with cheaper labour cost...japan of course is very expensive in everything...the higher currency rate and everything there is quite expensive...i have jem70v sfg and to me its as good as prestige models and neck thinner abit than jem prestige...
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 PM

Reviews: 6

I think you almost convinced this entire board of trashing their proven and battle hardened 500's for a new MII 3xx.

You are certainly allowed to have any opinion you want, but to compare the EZII with the original Edge is blasphemy. The Edge is such a valiant, reliable and timeless tremolo that it's been re-introduced to end a decade's worth of disappointing tremolo introductions lol. The RG550's are amazing guitars. They are not, however, underrated. I think their quality to price ratio is undeniable and this is why they are still circulating. I'll match my 89' to guitars worth 4 to 6 times more and my RG will often come on top. It played just as good as my 87' and 91 Jems. When I figured that out and needed money to move out, I kept the RG and sold the bling.

I like the new 3xx's. Definitely a huge improvement over the early 2000'S and up. However, I highly disagree that they are BETTER than the MIJ entry level RG's. If you enjoy your guitar, then all the power to ya because that's only thing that matters. Taste is subjective, but I think the 550 is widely spoken for and the majority of us agree's that it's generally a better guitar
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:27 PM

If they could make the exact same quality guitar someplace else, and have it be cheaper, then why not move the entire Ibanez production to Indonesia or China and undercut every other manufacturer by 50% and dominate the market? You think the ONLY reason the RG350M is $450 new is because of where it's made? Trust me. If Ibanez could build an equivalent guitar somewhere else, they'd still charge MIJ prices, because they're in it for money - not to bring you the bargain guitar of a lifetime and give you something for nothing.

If the MII Jem was equivalent to the MIJ, they'd charge $3k for it and Vai would play one every night. As it is, last I saw, his SFG Jem was an LACS.

If you guys prefer your Indos, as I've said before, then that's awesome and I completely support you and respect your right to play whatever you want! But trying to rationalize that you've got an equal or superior product for half the money, and that Ibanez is just doing you a solid out of the goodness of their heart, is completely irrational. If YOU prefer it, then that's awesome and think of the money you'll save! But the reality is that you get what you pay for. Good luck trying to convince everybody that it's not.

The problem is not that you prefer Indonesian guitars. They are good guitars for the money. And I can't think of anybody on here who wouldn't salute your NGD if you posted a new Premium or RG350 or whatever. The problem is in boasting that it's something that it clearly isn't.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 12:00 AM

Reviews: 11

I'm in between on this one. The RG5XX's are obviously better guitars but for some reason, when comparing the RG550DY to the RG350MYEZ, I find that I want the 350 way more.

The RG5XX's haven't been made in about 10 years. They're not "of today" anymore. The RG3XX's and RG4XX's are. I believe that if you keep your guitar up to par and practice proper maintenance, then an RG350 can handle a full tour. Hell, even an Edge III model could hold up.

Now I know that you can get RG550's used but you can get a 59 Les Paul used too if you look hard enough. That doesn't mean that it's the "Les Paul of today".

So that's why I'm in between. Indo RG's; Not as good but still in production.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 12:14 AM

So... If Ibanez quit making everything but the GRX20Z, THAT would be the new RG550, and you'd prefer that? And I don't get the "of today" reference. The RG350M tries to look just like the RG550!

RG550 was a no frills Jem, which at the time was considered the top of the line RG. The RG1570 is a no frills Prestige, which is the current high-end. That's apples to apples.

Again, if you would rather play a 350 over a 550, then go for it. I just think that's a somewhat unique perspective.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 02:18 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
I'm in between on this one. The RG5XX's are obviously better guitars but for some reason, when comparing the RG550DY to the RG350MYEZ, I find that I want the 350 way more.

The RG5XX's haven't been made in about 10 years. They're not "of today" anymore. The RG3XX's and RG4XX's are. I believe that if you keep your guitar up to par and practice proper maintenance, then an RG350 can handle a full tour. Hell, even an Edge III model could hold up.

Now I know that you can get RG550's used but you can get a 59 Les Paul used too if you look hard enough. That doesn't mean that it's the "Les Paul of today".

So that's why I'm in between. Indo RG's; Not as good but still in production.
To further obscure your point, both these companies re-issue each one of those models. 550's were re-issued a few years ago and 59's have been re-issued in substantial numbers. Listen, I am not taking away what a good guitar the 350 is for the money, but it is nothing compared to the 550
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 02:24 AM

Hahahaha.... The frets quality of rg350 not as good as 550.... Maybe the wood quality also not as good too
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 02:47 AM

Reviews: 21

I've owned two RG350's and I miss them. Honestly though when it came down to it I sold them and not my RG570 or RG550. The 3xx's are good and the EZ2 is a big step up from Edge 3, but no way are they better than a late 90's - early 00's RG5xx with a Super Wizard. I will give you this. I am hesitant to buy the old square block RG's from the late 80's and early 90's that a lot of people here love. Some of the early Wizard 1 necks DO warp from being so thin; depending also on how the guitar was stored or maintained over the years. The Super Wizard seems to fix this for the most part by stiffening the neck with a bubinga stripe; the RG20th and recent Super Wizards even moreso with the titanium stiffening rods.
The thing I DO like about Wizard 2, and now Wizard 3, IS that they're thicker. To me they're a bit of a different beast in general compared to MIG RG's. They have their own character but I wouldn't call them better.
Premiums are also good but they're also not as good as MIJ guitars; mostly due to a few cosmetic issues and some occasional slips here and there quality wise, which honestly occurs about as much on some MIJ RG's these days too.
I have a suspicion we'll be seeing more MIJ production move to the Premium line in the coming years, but I guess that's another discussion entirely.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

I had a long reply, but accidently deleted it...and as you can guess, at 3:17am I'm not about to retype it. Get back to you in the 'morrow on my response peoples, thank you for the good input thus far.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:40 PM
TWJ

if you really like it more than the rg550, great for you. no experience with edge 2 with zps but the wizard 3 is just plain bad. its easily one of the worst neck profile that i ever tried personally, the shorter scale grg even feel better.

i personally do not think that it is unfair to say the rg350 dont hold a candle to rg550. and a player condition rg could be found easily found cheaper than a new rg350 if you willing to omit the overpriced ones in ebay and classified here.

if you really do like the wizard iii neck profile and the trem, great for you. i just hope its not some sort of self consolation

Tags
rg350 , rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode