2014 Fender American Deluxe playability - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

2014 Fender American Deluxe playability

Anyone have any experience with the compound radius Fender necks?

I love the sound of the Fenders but have always fought the 9.5" radius. The Deluxes come with a 9.5" to 14" compound radius which is closer to the 16" that a lot of us are accustomed to.

Anyone have any hands on with the compound radius neck? Is it easier to play in the upper registers due to the larger radius?

I am looking at the HSS due to the versatility as my playing will be taking a bit of a style turn.

Thanks,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 09:59 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: 2014 Fender American Deluxe playability

I've got two aftermarket necks with 10-16" compound radius and they are brilliant. Easy on the hands for chords down low, and awesome up the top end for soloing and stuff. Definitely comfy.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 12:16 PM

I have a customized Tele with a 2014 American Deluxe neck and it's a great feeling neck -- really comfortable and easy to play.
post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
Anyone have any experience with the compound radius Fender necks?

I love the sound of the Fenders but have always fought the 9.5" radius. The Deluxes come with a 9.5" to 14" compound radius which is closer to the 16" that a lot of us are accustomed to.

Anyone have any hands on with the compound radius neck? Is it easier to play in the upper registers due to the larger radius?

I am looking at the HSS due to the versatility as my playing will be taking a bit of a style turn.

Thanks,

Jeff
I had a Deluxe with compound radius and while it does have the rounder 9.5" inch radius near the headstock, the flatter radius on higher frets makes it easier to play and bend on. It's not a Wizard neck, but compared to the longtime standard 7.25" in super round neck, the compound radius from Fender is a huge improvement over its old counterpart. Some people like the old 7.25"inch Fender for its vintage feel and I switch over in what I play and how I play it when I move onto an old Fender radius.

If you take the Deluxe for what it is, faster and hotter than original, then you will appreciate it. I remember being at GC and the salesman was trying to tell me how Fender was making something close to the Jacksons and Ibanezes in terms of shredability, but that was the wrong approach. The Deluxe does use hotter ceramic pickups and that brings in more midrange and sharp attack but they are not DiMarzio humbuckers. Some of the very latest Deluxe models have the warmer, more vintage sounding alnico magnets and that will give it more of an old Fender sound, and less of the Jackson and Ibanez tonalities. Alnico has better cleans, imho, but the ceramic is usually better when it comes to shredding if you are talking single coils or single coil space pickups with narrower field. Some shredders will only use the full sized humbucker, and while the softer alnico, should be OK for stuff up to hard rock but not stuff that needs complete command of single not passages. We all know, or should, that stuff like EMG 81 or ceramic mag Evos tend to get that sound down. Again if you take the current alnico Deluxe humbucker and put it up against a Seth Lover, then it will sound like a shredder, but don't put up virtually any alnico humbucker and expect it to sound like the Evo simply because it's on the Deluxe which is an expensive instrument.

The low action on the Deluxe still cannot be dialed down to the lowness of a full 12" or 16" inch radius neck because the parts of the 9.5" inch neck will still feel high. If you lower the action too much on the Deluxe it will choke out on those first few frets if you bend. It's not a guitar that many use to shred with and put down a super low action made for two hand tapping. For that get an RG or Solosist with a flatter neck radius.

But for an all around guitar playing well within a wide range of styles, the Deluxe is a great guitar. It's just not designed as a metal shredder like many here are into. Mine did have a full sized humbucker in lead position (a few do) and it was a pretty fast shredder but didn't keep up all the way up and down the neck like my Charvel with two full sized humbuckers and Kahler trem. The Deluxe was not designed that way, and that's what I hope RG users know from the get to, and really wants to keep the overall feel as close to the original Fender Stratocaster of 1954 which has more than enough fans.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-03-2015 at 01:12 PM.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

I got the Deluxe this past week and spent some good time with it this weekend. The compound radius is exactly what I needed to enjoy a strat. Love the tones and the playability is amazing. The wife even mentioned she likes the sound of where my playing is going with this thing.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 05:38 PM

Cool, glad to hear you like this. Had I seen this before, I would have said take a serious look at Warmoth. Their Warmoth Pro necks are a 10-16" compound radius and there are some really nice looking bodies in their showcase for really good prices.

I'm planning on building one this year. My current debate is between some kind of trem and a fixed bridge.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 09:48 PM

Is this the one with the card for changing pickup options?
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

This is just the Deluxe, not the Deluxe Plus which has the cards. I did not see a need for the cards.

I would not own another strat unless it had the compound radius, sadly that means alot of the older strats are out for me but that is ok. This one is a keeper. Pretty sure, well 75% sure. I cant say never.....
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
This is just the Deluxe, not the Deluxe Plus which has the cards. I did not see a need for the cards.
OH sweet, I loved the idea of a compound radius Strat (I've got a couple guitars now with compound boards, and I love them), but as much as that card system was a cool idea, it was one that just didn't have a lot of appeal to me personally.

As an aside, does anyone else feel like Fender has just been killing it in recent years, in stark contrast to Gibson where even their fans tend to think QC has slipped just as prices have risen? I've been really impressed with the fit and finish on most recent Strats I've played.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:

I would not own another strat unless it had the compound radius, sadly that means alot of the older strats are out for me but that is ok. This one is a keeper. Pretty sure, well 75% sure. I cant say never.....
Post some pics man!
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Ask and ye shall receivith. Best i have for now. Drew, yes, I would agree, they have been making some good instruments, all the way up and down their line, there are a lot of people that covet their MIM guitars as they would an MIA.

Last edited by satchmo72; 01-13-2015 at 05:07 PM.
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 05:57 PM

Beautiful axe man, is that heather pearl? lol
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafafas View Post
Beautiful axe man, is that heather pearl? lol
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Fender calls it Burgundy Mist. It's got a pinkish hue and a light mint green pickguard.
I wanted a classic color.
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 03:51 AM

Quote:

I thought the deluxe plus was actually a little cheaper, but I don't know that it has the compound radius. I like the idea of the cards and would like to see Fender continue with it but for me I like the mostly traditional Strat features.
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

The Deluxe Plus is cheaper. Kind of odd I thought too.

I am not a fan of the bent saddles, I think the machined saddles are more comfortable. The older American's had the machined saddles but they have now went to the bent steel and the only way to get the machined is to go with a Deluxe. I guess I could change the bent steels out with Graphtech but I really wanted to start "right"

As it is, I may change the pickups out someday with a set of Zexcoils.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode