2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional

Hey guys, its been a while!

I put this on layby back in November as an late christmas present, and a late 25th birthday present to me. Yesterday, I finally paid it off, and it arrived this morning!

This is a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 120th Anniversary (has 120th Anniversary on the 12th fret). Such a beautiful guitar! I haven't had a chance to plug it in as my rig is at home, but acoustically she plays really nice.

This is the only photo I have now, but I will take more later. May even get a group photo with all of my guitars when I get back home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:40 PM

Reviews: 13
Re: 2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional

Personally I'm not a fan of the LP: unbalanced (butt-heavy), horrible access to upper frets, heavy on the shoulder, fragile headstock joint, and so on... but I must admit, most of the ones I played sounded really nice, very rich and deep tone.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:12 PM

Nice Les Paul. . My best friend just got a 2014 Les Paul Traditional Pro with a Floyd Rose! It played killer and you can dive bomb it like crazy.. Let's just say I am now in the hunt for one in Black.

Those super 57s sound very punchy and they stood out.
Congrats!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:15 PM

Beautiful - reminds me a lot of my ol' Ibanez 59er I picked up a couple of years ago.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:15 PM

Very nice! I love the solid heavy feel of a Les Paul... and the nice sound when played unplugged. Great sustain! My old one has frets worn so low I don't even play it anymore, I can only imagine how nice a new one feels!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgabriel713 View Post
Nice Les Paul. . My best friend just got a 2014 Les Paul Traditional Pro with a Floyd Rose! It played killer and you can dive bomb it like crazy.. Let's just say I am now in the hunt for one in Black.

Those super 57s sound very punchy and they stood out.
Congrats!
I would have loved a Les Paul Axcess with a floyd. Hell even a Traditional Pro with a floyd would be nice. I haven't seen a Traditional Pro in Australia, but an Axcess over here costs waaay too much! So I gave up on that idea and just bought the Traditional. I still have other guitars with a floyd (Jackson PC-1 & a Kramer Pacer Classic), but a Les Paul with a Floyd would have been nice indeed!!

Also the super 57's are bloody amazing! Right now I'm away from my rig at home, so I'm just using a Positive Grid Jamup plug into my iPhone 6+ and headphones and use a JCM800 pack. It sounds amazing! I sold my Orange Jim Root Tiny Terror last month, so I'm yet to play the LP through a decent tube amp to hear her scream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Very nice! I love the solid heavy feel of a Les Paul... and the nice sound when played unplugged. Great sustain! My old one has frets worn so low I don't even play it anymore, I can only imagine how nice a new one feels!
I remember the first time I ever played my Uncles LP Standard (made in '92 I think?), I fell in love with it straight away. Loved the tone, loved the solid feel, definitely sounds nice when unplugged. That got me started with wanting a Les Paul. I've tried out numerous LP's over the years, some good, some horrible... A couple of years back, I tried a LP Traditional that was red and had zebra 57's through a YJM Half stack & a EVH 5150 half stack. Best LP I ever played, sounded killer and was just right for me. Unfortunately I didn't have the funds to get it back then.

Nathan.

1984 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2012 Jackson PC-1
2013 Kramer Pacer Classic
2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional

Roland Cube 80gx
Fender Supersonic 4x12 Cab
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 03:52 AM
Banned

Iconic guitar hands down! I wanted one as well, and could justify the funds to the other half, but happened to play a much cheaper Ibanez ARZ800 (single cut LP-style) and bought it instead, so it filled the hole in the LP-segment
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashrox View Post
I still have other guitars with a floyd (Jackson PC-1 & a Kramer Pacer Classic), but a Les Paul with a Floyd would have been nice indeed!!

I remember the first time I ever played my Uncles LP Standard (made in '92 I think?), I fell in love with it straight away. Loved the tone, loved the solid feel, definitely sounds nice when unplugged. That got me started with wanting a Les Paul. I've tried out numerous LP's over the years, some good, some horrible... A couple of years back, I tried a LP Traditional that was red and had zebra 57's through a YJM Half stack & a EVH 5150 half stack. Best LP I ever played, sounded killer and was just right for me. Unfortunately I didn't have the funds to get it back then.
You have a PC-1? Oh my... thats my ultimate dream guitar, followed by a Jackson SL-1. Does the PC-1 have that nice fat neck like the SL-1? I've never had a chance to play one.

I grew up idolizing the Les Paul. My dad was in a band with two other guitar players... my dad used his '71 Les Paul Recording, another guy had a gold top Les Paul, and the other guy was pretty small and built a custom 3/4 scale one piece Les Paul out of an old beam removed from a turn of the century school. As far as I knew, they were the only guitar to have. Watching those guys rocking the old classic Skynyrd and Allman Bros, trading lead... dual and triple lead (ala Freebird), is permanently etched in my fondest memories. I would live to have my old one re-fretted someday, but bought an Ibanez SZ320 instead. It's like playing a Les Paul and similar construction... if you like Les Pauls you should try an SZ model someday. Hope you enjoy that new one when you get back to your rig!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 07:16 AM

Well done on the Les Paul. They are great guitars. I sold my Jem to buy one about 5 yrs ago...

If you want a Floyd Rose for it, Floyd now sell the FRX Series Tremolos that will fit on any Gibson without cutting it up.

http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tremolos/6:frx-series

https://youtu.be/hPc6fOYoNTY

Just thought I'd let you know in case you didnt.

Congrats again on an awesome guitar
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:12 PM

I have 2 Les Paul Axcess guitars with Floyds. One is the regular Axcess and the other is the Alex Lifeson version. They are both amazing instruments in every way. Beautiful access to the upper frets due to the scarf neck joint and very comfortable on the body with the belly cutaway.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 10:42 AM

Sweet LP man! Is the traditional a 50's or 60's profile neck?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
Well done on the Les Paul. They are great guitars. I sold my Jem to buy one about 5 yrs ago...

If you want a Floyd Rose for it, Floyd now sell the FRX Series Tremolos that will fit on any Gibson without cutting it up.

That new Floyd Rose has really opened up a lot of Gibby players to more modern guitar styles without routing out guitar.

Too many times I have seen a full on rock shredder buy a Gibson Les Paul/SG or vintage style Fender, then rout it out for Floyd or Kahler, but then years later revert to a more humble lead style that doesn't require dive bomb techniques.

While they may have played 80s rock blaring through Marshalls, today they may be playing lounge jazz music or top 40 and regret having chopped up a classic axe.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Those new floyds for the Les pauls/Sgs are mad expensive but i guess it is worth it when you don't have to carve up your beautiful gibson. I was considering getting this for my epiphone lp but decided against it as why put a 250 dollar piece of hardware on a 400 dollar guitar... if i were to ever get a 'real' les paul i'd definitely consider getting one of these babies.

Ever consider putting a vibramate bigsby on there? Doesn't require you to cut up your gorgeous instrument either. The thing basically snaps right onto the studs from the bridge. Only around 150-200 as well.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:

where was i when this came out. There are other companies out there that make a similar style trem but I didn't know floyd had started making one.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:07 PM

I would love to hear an LP through the rig i have now!!!!!! Great guitar!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode