2017 Ibanez premium guitars - Page 5 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:15 PM
Vendor

Re: 2017 Ibanez premium guitars

Generally? Ibanez average sale price was 40% of Fenders average sale price, but almost twice what Squires sales point is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 132 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 04:23 PM

I see a whole lot of theory here. Has anyone actually picked one of these up and played it? How are they? How iffy is the QC?
post #63 of 132 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:32 PM

I finally got a chance to play a new Premium RG6PCMLTD in Sunset Red Gradation two days ago. I was excited to try these out because of all the great specs, especially the SS frets, but I was fairly disappointed with the one I played. Long story short, it just felt cheap in comparison to MIJ stuff.. like most Premiums I've played.

I was also excited about the cool looking 11-piece neck, but it felt raw and dry (same with the fretboard).. Like it was lacking a finishing coat or something.
There were also some flaws - imperfections in the finishing, chip inside the neck pickup cavity (but painted over), frets sticking out a little on treble side, and it had almost no figuring on the top or the fretboard (although it's advertised as curly maple top and fretboard).
One would normally expect some minor flaws on Premiums. But at the Prestige price point for the new Premiums, I thought they'd be a little better. I think there are better ones out there than the one I tried though.

On an extreme side note:

@jemsite: There are several natural wood RGs that have stood the test of time! The RG3120 being one of them.. Definitely one of my favourite MIJ/Prestige RGs. They sound, play and look great. Solidly built like other fugi RGs. Probably one of the best production models Ibanez ever put out, and still quite sought after in the used market! :-) Besides my JC, I play my RG3120 and RGA420z a lot. I agree with the UCEWs though... the finishing was poor and they started to look like crud over time.
post #64 of 132 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:03 PM
Vendor

I should say that wenge is a very dry and grainy feeling wood, matched up with several other types in an 11 piece, that you will feel all the grain different. People complained about the 2 thin walnut fillets and they could feel the grain [but they were just complaining the neck was grainy without knowing what they were actually feeling. Well multiply that by the whole neck which is now a varied mix of grains next to each other.
post #65 of 132 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I should say that wenge is a very dry and grainy feeling wood, matched up with several other types in an 11 piece, that you will feel all the grain different. People complained about the 2 thin walnut fillets and they could feel the grain [but they were just complaining the neck was grainy without knowing what they were actually feeling. Well multiply that by the whole neck which is now a varied mix of grains next to each other.
I don't have much experience with neck woods besides maple or rosewood, so I guess I was expecting it to feel "better" (very smooth like a rosewood neck). I find that it just looks good more than anything. What is your thought on the mixture of grains?

Now that I think of it, my JCRG8670 has the 2 thicker strips on the neck, and I can slightly feel the grain under the finish with my thumb. I wonder if the finish is really thin? I guess it would need refinishing to feel absolutely smooth again.
post #66 of 132 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Vendor

Doesn't matter what I think about it, I'm just making sure people understand, you will feel any grain on the back of a neck. No, not maple or tight grains like ebony, but anything that has grain like wenge or walnut, absolutely, you'll feel it. It doesn't bother me, I know what it is and could care less. But there are plenty that are disturbed by the feel of anything that isn't perfectly smooth on the back of the neck. I've had people return guitars because they could feel the grain of the walnut fillets on a Prestige neck. So this is more public service announcement. If you don't like the feel of grain on the back of the neck, then this type of guitar is not for you.
post #67 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:24 PM
RCB

I actually love the grainy feel of those neck. I had an RG927WZCZ and I loved the feel of it.

Also, I think that the new Premium guitars make sense. Aside from J Customs, I havent been excited by a Prestige for a while. The fact that they need to keep features to a bare minumium "workhorse like " guitar, makes me loose any potential interest in them. You had the 770RI and now the 3770 (which is the same thing), you had the 2570 in Blue Lagoon and Coral Reef which were cool colours (though the finish in those, just like the vita silver/gold and the cob web in the RG2120Z is very fragile and not durable at all). What else was there?

Sin mid 2000īs they either discontinued the top end Prestige or rebranded as an excuse for massive bump ups in price (RG3120 turned into 3520, turned into 4520). The RG with nice lamed tops dissapeared, the RGT dissapeared.

If you want to buy a guitar like the 3770, the mark up is significant compared to a 1570. The difference was only a couple of houndred bucks back in the day. And... though

The Premiums have some mino finish blemishes. The rounded frets are a nice touch even if the feel of a prestige is just as good (or may be even better). THe maple binding, the edge zero 2 is a great bridge (actually I liked the Edge Zero at least as much as any other ibanez trem, if not more).

Though the quality is nowhere near, you get J custom like "features" in the Premiums. And with a little servicing, you get a guitar that will do and play like any prestige, with a lot more cool features and an interesting look.

I ve had over 250 guitars. Over 100 ibanez guitars (90% japan, mostly signatures or top of the line models).

In the last 10 years, I ve only bought one new MIJ prestige (2 RGT320QRBB). I ve bought plenty of used ones (RG770DX, jems, UVs, RG3120s, RGTs, endless RGs, Artists). But there was nothing new. I also bought a couple of J customs.

I dig the FP2 but I'm not going to shell out 4K. Same for the Jake Bowen model.

The fact that you can get Premium with a flamed top and flamed fretboard, or a burl thick top, both with a cool 11 piece neck, good quality hardware (locking tuners in a double locking guitar is an overkill, but a nice touch nontheless), and stainless steel frets, actually makes mi want at least 2 of the new Premium guitars (may be even 3), and I would definately look into a indo JBM.

THe idea that the people who buy guitars is limited to a "discerning kid" who is struggling to get the maximum quality, even though that means a stripped down bare bones, workhorse guitar, is wrong IMHO.

Most kids in that situation lack the info and awareness to make such a decistion. They want the bell and whistles. People care about looks and features. And for the rest of us, I guess it depends on each person.

I'd rather have a Jem 70 (which I like as much as any 7VWH I had), a JBM, a 1070 and a JBM or a RG6PCMLTD rather than a single FP2. But that's just me.

I definately rather have an RG1070 rather than a 1570, you get the point.

I have over 50 guitars now. I have no need for bare bones workhorses.

There's plenty of people out there who (may be dont have 50, but have 5 o 10) which are in a similar situation.

The Premium line enables Ibanez to make interesting, cool looking, feature rich guitars, at an affordable price. If it werent for the Premiums, I ve would ve completely lost interest in Ibanez guitars a long time ago.
nienturi likes this.
post #68 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post

If you want to buy a guitar like the 3770, the mark up is significant compared to a 1570. The difference was only a couple of houndred bucks back in the day. And... though

Not alot to argue there, but, the 3770 was nearly twice the price of a 1570.
post #69 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:35 PM

I own a 1527 and am looking to snap up a 1070PBZ. You're absolutely right that the features and style that make the new line pop are the draw. And with proper setup, it'll be just fine for me.

Two of my axes are flame tops, so I have my eye on the burl. The neck on the 1070 is beautiful. It was a hard choice since the PCM is also quite a nice finish, but I just prefer the 1070. None of the 2017 Prestiges appeal to me. I've already got a 7 string Prestige, and a 6 string USA soloist.
post #70 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:57 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
The Premium line enables Ibanez to make interesting, cool looking, feature rich guitars, at an affordable price. If it werent for the Premiums, I ve would ve completely lost interest in Ibanez guitars a long time ago.
All of what you said is basically exactly what Ibanez intended... shift excitement & "interest" to Premium (indo) axes where they more favorably control manufacturing. This goes for enthusiasts & newbs it doesn't matter. As enthusiasts die out and lose interest this just accelerates (in Ibanez' eyes).

Some of you are fine with this and that is ok. I use the analogy... this is like your favorite coffee shop has stop selling your preferred drink - espresso - because the machines are finicky, need skill to operate and audience not discerning enough to care enough. Some just find a new coffee shop, others happily switch off espresso. newbs won't know what good espresso ever was. life goes on.
post #71 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Vendor

Since they are still building JC's with lots of those features found on Premiums your statement is baseless. The difference is, the JC will cost 3-4 times as much as the Premium, and the US does not import them. That doesn't mean they're not readily available for anybody in the world to import though.
post #72 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:10 PM
site founder 0% owner

Yawn.
post #73 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Vendor

Feel free to take a Rumpelstiltskin nap. We'll wake you up in 20 years.

Maybe.
post #74 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:15 PM
RCB

I was going to post the same thing.

The analogy would be: They still serve espresso, but they serve it on a paper cup while you are standing (RG MIJ bare bones).

If you want the espresso the way it used to be, sitting in a nice table with a nice cup and a polite waitress, they will charge you like you were having a steak at a 3 michellin stars restaurant (J custom). At the same time, the have a bunch of cool new drinks and flavours (that taste pretty good) that they serve on pretty new coffee pots/cups (Premium) at cool looking tables (Premiums).

I'd rather have that than having my espresso served on a paper cup. And I'd also rather go for a steak in a michellin restaurant if I going to spend big bucks.

Going for an espresso is not just about the drink. It's about enjoying your time at the coffee shop.

As you pointed out, at the same time other shops are serving espresso at more reasonable prices.

BTW, this methaphor is looging incresingly forced, so I'm dropping it.

Last edited by RCB; 05-16-2017 at 02:23 PM.
post #75 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:18 PM
site founder 0% owner

still serve "espresso" .... preground, packaged k-cups maybe.

Yawn.

Tags
edgezeroii , ibanez , premium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode