2017 Ibanez premium guitars - Page 8 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:25 PM
Vendor

Re: 2017 Ibanez premium guitars

There you go, guestimating how much they could charge for a 4mm real top AND inlays, and both under 2k. Gotta be some interesting math there. Unless you're talking $2000 MAP, you'd at least be in the same state

And I'll have to disagree the Prestige line has been ignored, I think it's as cool, and diverse as it's been, again, since the early 90's. The inlays are all dots, if you want fancy inlays you get them done in Indo where they make $6 a day. All that plastic may be CNC'd [and I'll also tell you, CNC time isn't cheap] but there's 8 fingers and 2 thumbs that have to sort those inlays out and glue them into the routs [for vines]. And previous pricing on ghost inlayed regular paint RG's was $2666. If you think 4mm top and cool inlays under $2k is a possibility, it is. In Indo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:35 PM
Vendor

BTW, S's, sell like crud. Why? because they're 30%ish more expensive than similar RG's. I'm pretty sure Ibanez would like them to sell better, and they know the reason they're a tough sale is because of the higher price. But they're higher because, they're explanation, of the long CNC time to carve the full front and back, and goes directly to what Fujigen charges them. So it's pretty tough to say cost isn't a significant part of the equation.
post #108 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:35 PM
RCB

It is a guess. It is a somewhat informed one I believe. I have an idea of how much each of the things involved cost, but I don't know what fujigen charges Ibanez, so yes, it is a guess (I never claimed otherwise). Also, other people in the industry seem able to pull it off. Somehow, PRS can make a PRS CE24 with a carved top, with a top that is 4 times thicker (you could make 3/4 Ibanez tops out of that one) with fancy inlays made in USA for 1999 street price. So, yeah, I would think Ibanez could definately pull off a "655 with a maple top and fancy inlays" for that price. It is a guess? Yes it is. Is it a reasonable guess? I think so.

Again, what if it is their marketing strategy? They are entitled to do whatever they want. I'm not complaining. I like that they are pumping out models like crazy. I like that they made reissues of guitars people wanted. I like the whole concept of the premiums. I would certainly like it if they made a MIJ guitar such as I described, but I guess it would make both the J customs and the Premiums untenable. They chose this way instead. I'm fine with that, other people are not. But I can see why they are pissed, it's not crazy talk.

As far as we are fair with the depiction of the Premium line, I think it's hard to argue against them GIVEN Ibanez strategy for MIJ products.

Last edited by RCB; 05-16-2017 at 11:42 PM.
post #109 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:46 PM
Vendor

Well, maybe Ibanez can get PRS to build some guitars for them, which would have to be $3500 now, of course that's a reasonable guess.

Expect Ibanez is paying a little less than FGN guitars would wholesale for [if not a little more], if you want to use that model to base the direct product cost on, I would absolutely agree to start there. But you know there is a long way between the raw cost of your product and where you have to be at to make a profitable business.
post #110 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:09 AM
RCB

As I said a PRC CE24 with a carved flamed maple top and bird inlays has a street price of 1999.

Look at the price gap between a USD1200 bare bones RG655 and a 4000 USD J custom. If they wanted to build an RG with a flamed top and a fancy inlay, they have almost 3 thousand dollars of pricing room. To me, is clearly a marketing decision, not a cost driven one.

At the end of the day, the argument is pointless. We have to chose from what's available and what is available or Ibanez marketing strategy are a given. So any opinions regarding the Premium line should start with that in mind. There's no point in imagining what features you'd like to see in MIJ Ibanez, or those features could be done at a reasonable price point (the probably could, but that's beside the point). You could either vote with your feet and stop buying and caring for them, or you could deal with what's available.

I really like the 1070, and if the RG6PCMLTD tops are not crap, I'm definately into the the blueish one. I like the fact that they came up with the JBM, I'm even into some Iron label RGAs. I like the indo BFP, I like the fact that they are "doing" and "comming up" with stuff, regardless of it's origin. As I said before, it worked on me.

I think we all get each other points. We are all rooted in reality and reasonably well informed.

Once we "confine" the discussion to what is available, and we take that as a given. We ll probably all agree that there's a reason for the Premiums, and that (within Ibanez line up) they are a decent/good value proposition.
nienturi likes this.
post #111 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:14 AM
Vendor

You can buy a PRS in Argentina for $2000 street price??

I think the flame tops will be crap, the ones at the show were and if you don't have great samples you had mediocre choice.
post #112 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:08 AM
RCB

No, you most definitely can't, and neither can you buy a 655 for 1200. I'm talking US prices in all cases.

I would expect the CE24 top to be bland. You have to use a rather thick top (though not as thick as the core series). Still its 3/4 times as thick as what you need for an RG. A blanc 2CM top will set you back as least as much as a decent/good 4/7mm top would. A feature packed RG at or below 2k street price in USA is definitely doable if they wanted to. They chose no to. It would probably eat into JCs sales, and would make the top end of the Premiums a harder sale. Their current strategy is probably more profitable, hence that's why they chose to go that way. Or may be, there are other reasons. Hard to know. I would not presume to know why they decided to go this route. In any case it's pointless.

I like Ibanez. I like their models, I like that they come up with new hardware. I like the fact that they are making pretty and interesting guitars. Their business model evolved into what it is today. It is what it is. Let's enjoy te guitars.
post #113 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
We are all rooted in reality and reasonably well informed.
post #114 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:16 AM
Vendor

You are trying to compare a tariffed imported product, that is entirely outsourced, that goes thru a big middleman, to one made at home and shipped direct from the factory to dealer.

I said you'd be in the state if it was street, I still think it would be higher. The AR2619 is $2400 with less hardware [but thicker top]. And since they're not really selling JC's anywhere but Japan it's really not cutting into the sales.
post #115 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:28 AM
RCB

I ve just realized you were referring to the RG6PCMLTD tops being crap, I thought you meant the PRS CE24 tops (which usually aren't that great either). I agree, the only bummer of the RG6PMCLTD is that the tops and fretboards appear to have only sligthly/poorly figured maple. But, there may be a few lucky ones who get a decent looking top. If I find one, I ll probably buy it. If not, I ll probably only get the 1070. I ve seen a bunch and they generally look good. Not crazy about the abrupt "cut" in the arm rest, but the charcoal one seems to do a good job at fading to black there. I like the cerulean blue better, but I'd have to see both in person to see which one I ll pick.

At least one or 2 of those 2017 Premiums will eventually find it's way home.
post #116 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:34 AM
Vendor

PRS makes some beautiful furniture with techniques far advanced of Fujigen at bringing out the figure. Yes, the Premiums, somebody will get lucky.

I actually like the 1070's more than the 652MPB's. The fully encased clear on the burl is so much nicer than the rough unfinished look of the veneer on the Prestige.
Holzar88 likes this.
post #117 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:27 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

try the red pill & see the Ibanez "matrix"

post #118 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
I ve just realized you were referring to the RG6PCMLTD tops being crap, I thought you meant the PRS CE24 tops (which usually aren't that great either). I agree, the only bummer of the RG6PMCLTD is that the tops and fretboards appear to have only sligthly/poorly figured maple. But, there may be a few lucky ones who get a decent looking top. If I find one, I ll probably buy it. If not, I ll probably only get the 1070. I ve seen a bunch and they generally look good. Not crazy about the abrupt "cut" in the arm rest, but the charcoal one seems to do a good job at fading to black there. I like the cerulean blue better, but I'd have to see both in person to see which one I ll pick.

At least one or 2 of those 2017 Premiums will eventually find it's way home.
The arm cut in the 1070s reminds me of some of James Tyler's Burning Water guitars:

post #119 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:36 PM
Vendor

There is nothing on the 1070 arm contour.

Holzar88 likes this.
post #120 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:11 PM
RCB

What I meant is visible there. What I mean by the arm rest is the "drop top part of the guitar". Because the body is thinner there, even though the top on those is thicked than the tops in the RG3120/RG6PMCLTD/J Customs, etc, you have a 45 degree "straight line" that is visible, where the burl top ends abruptly. I prefer the cerulean blue color, but in the charcoal, this thing is barely visible. I ll have to see them both in person to see which one I ll chose. May be I ll pick up both.
Holzar88 likes this.

Tags
edgezeroii , ibanez , premium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode