2017 Ibanez premium guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

2017 Ibanez premium guitars

Hey guys, I've been thinking of getting one of the new Ibanez premium guitars for 2017. The only thing I'm worried about is that these guitars are priced in the high end range but the bridge they use(edge zero II) is the same one found on their cheaper guitars. How well does the edge zero II hold up when it comes to tuning stability? The rest of the features on the guitar are really impressive(stainless steel frets, 11 piece neck, exotic wood tops,real Dimarzio pickups)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 04:10 PM

Re: 2017 Ibanez premium guitars

Why not get a Japanese made RG655? I think the price points are very similar.
post #3 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:14 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

tuning stability shouldn't be a problem (assuming proper setup, etc.). People have been playing them for what 5-6 years now and in the EZ2 defense they have good knife-edge inserts and locking studs (which many of the really cheap floating trems lack).

that said....

+1 buy a Prestige RG. They typically have "real" Dimarzios (the 655 does). You're not going to find a lot of players with years of playtime on the EZ2 (unlike the Edge where many of us have 3 decades of playing time accumulated). The Prestige axes are the keepers.
post #4 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Vendor

Tuning stability is excellent with the ZPS stop bar pulled out using it free floating. There used to be a bug with the stop bar in on some guitars.

Glen, you have to admit, like them or hate them they are doing some interesting things in this new rebranding of the Premiums for North America.
post #5 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:24 AM
site founder 0% owner

I personally can't rationalize how an Indo RG with EZ2 could have the same approximate cost of a Prestige RG w/ Edge.

I think where we differ Rich is that I believe the heart and soul of the Ibanez double-locking axes is the Edge trem system & MIJ construction. That combo is a serious differentiator & constant since 1987. It transcends body shape, style, etc.

With Premiums you lose both but without the Edge I feel Ibanez has nothing KEEPING the double-locking player from seriously considering other brands. The Edge keeps you playing Ibanez the EZ2 makes you consider other brands imho.

The rebranding looks more like playing Yahtzee than Chess.... doesn't history show that natural wood RGs have not really stood the test of time (come to market with quick exit going back to the UCEWs)... and the prior ones were Fujigen made at reasonable price. I just wonder why they expect different results with the same playbook and Indo made?
post #6 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:38 AM
Vendor

I am all aboard the Edge train. But the EZ2 is an excellent trem as far as playing feel. The fine tuners suck, the tails of the saddles sometimes pinch them making them difficult to turn, even if there was enough knurl on the turners to get hold of, but it is the first "budget" trem they've used that has superb performance. I dare say it has better pullup return than the Edge. Yes, it's made as cheap as possible in China, that's business. The current Edges you will find alot of little pock marks in the surface because they're not being finished to as high a standard as days past. And as much as we love the Edge, how many more prefer the Lo Pro, Edge Pro, and blasphemy, the Edge Zero [yea, there are many that love that system, don't throw rocks]

There will always be plenty of choices out there, what Ibanez is doing is giving you an RG choice with interesting specs that would cost a fortune if it was Fujigen. If it does well or dies a horrible death time will tell, but I still believe it's an interesting direction in rebranding the line. They invested in that factory and there was no way they were going to keep Premiums out of the biggest market Ibanez has [USA]

So, chess, checkers, who cares, people like to play both
post #7 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

I agree, Premium gives Ibanez room to experiment in ways it otherwise couldn't. Visually, I love a lot of the guitars. I'm just wary about that trem coupled with memories of prices from 25 years ago, and the value of the Pound this time last year
post #8 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:32 AM
site founder 0% owner

I agree with you guys but if you make a questionable investment (bet) do you double down and rely on chance? In terms of capturing the US market (most vital one) that is a chess game (not random). I believe Ibanez should have played a long game and invested in a USA factory to drive USA sales. That they had to redo Premiums in little over 5 years tells you they're relying on chance. I know this will never happen of course.
post #9 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Vendor

The Premiums have been in continual sales thru the rest of the world, only the US where they lost the ZPS lawsuit was affected. That's why you have the Edge again on Prestige. What I don't understand is why they didn't ditch the ZPS on the Premiums and instead pay the high licensing fees to keep it on [I prefer the regular spring unit personally].
post #10 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:02 AM

I know the Prestige line is better spec'd. But darn if that silly 1070pbz hasn't captured my imagination. Man, it's just a good-looking guitar.
post #11 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Contributor

The trems aren't what worries me on Premiums, it's the necks / fret work.
I've owned four Premiums now and none of them came with acceptable fretwork except my RG350MYE.
I also had paint issues.

RG350MYE
S1XXV
RG1XXV
JEM70V-SFG
post #12 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Vendor

RG350MYE is not a Premium.

And it would be much more helpful if you stated what exactly about the fretwork was unacceptable instead of making a blanket one size fits all statement.
post #13 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:28 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
....but it is the first "budget" trem they've used that has superb performance.
Wouldn't the LO-TRS be the 1st good budget trem ibanez made? The one on my ex365 performs really well. I know the LO-TRS II was total crap. I had a s-series that had one....lol.
post #14 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:32 PM
Vendor

I know reviews on those were mixed from good to, not so much. Since I have no real personal experience with them I can't comment, except that I have alot of experience with the EZ2 so that I can comment on.
post #15 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 03:49 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The Premiums have been in continual sales thru the rest of the world, only the US where they lost the ZPS lawsuit was affected. That's why you have the Edge again on Prestige. What I don't understand is why they didn't ditch the ZPS on the Premiums and instead pay the high licensing fees to keep it on [I prefer the regular spring unit personally].
Just pay the FRIKIN license fee is my answer. The few bucks the customer GLADLY wants to pay.

I have no doubt the Indo/Korean axes have/had a purpose worldwide, just not in the USA at these prices IMHO.

Tags
edgezeroii , ibanez , premium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode