2018 Customs New Fretboard Design - Your Input? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 16
2018 Customs New Fretboard Design - Your Input?

Hi all. I've been working on a new fretboard inlay design. My idea was to have something organic-like and flowing like the tree of life and with smaller dots like the DNA. I love those two inlays but wanted to come up with something of my own using those as inspiration. So I'm calling this the Ribbon and Confetti inlay.

By the way, I did this yesterday really fast as I didn't have much time and just used a scrap piece of plywood. It's got a radius of 16", but you can't tell that from the pic.

I stupidly painted the inlay in hoping it would make it show up better in the pics and instead it just made it look like crap. But anyways, you should be able get the general idea.

The small dot inlays would get the pearl dots you see in the pic below, and the larger dot inlays 9apinted red) would get the abalone dots. You could use any shell or plastic, but this gives you an idea. The ribbon inlay (painted black) will be shell, exotic wood, plastic, etc., whatever one might would want.

I need to do just a few tweaks, but that's it...probably nothing terribly noticeable. Anyways, I wanted to get everyone's input. Do you like it? Do you dislike it? What would you change? And any other comments you might have.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 04:21 PM

Re: 2018 Customs New Fretboard Design - Your Input?

I like it a lot, plus I think it is great that you keep coming up with those original designs all the time. one thing I would change is that the longer ribon, from first to twelve fret should be divided to two seprate squiggly ribons like the one from twelve to 24th fret, because it looks like you were a bit lazy and did not invest as much "crearive effort" in it if you know what I mean.
And the pattern that was created on the board itself, from the radius sanding I guess, is also great, was it intentional?
Being a succer for color I also think that the color combo you used to paint the inlay is also great.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 04:27 PM

I like most of it, but I'd have the first couple frets and the last couple of frets mirror each other. That way it looks very neat but the middle has whatever random squiggles you're up for.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 05:16 PM

Reviews: 13

the dots are a little too erratic. form the ribbon around a more usual fret marker pattern and you have a winner.

its beautiful.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 05:22 PM

Looks great! I'd extend the tip of the longer ribbon to just a little further, cos once a fret is on there, that little piece of ribbon extending past the fret would kinda be lost and would look like that ribbon just ends abruptly once it hits the 12th fret.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 06:44 PM

I absolutely love from the 9th down.

Awesome design.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarelaxe View Post
I like it a lot, plus I think it is great that you keep coming up with those original designs all the time. one thing I would change is that the longer ribon, from first to twelve fret should be divided to two seprate squiggly ribons like the one from twelve to 24th fret, because it looks like you were a bit lazy and did not invest as much "crearive effort" in it if you know what I mean.
And the pattern that was created on the board itself, from the radius sanding I guess, is also great, was it intentional?
Being a succer for color I also think that the color combo you used to paint the inlay is also great.

Thanks!

I actually designed the first ribbon first. Then what I did was flipped it, mirrored it and shrunk it to create the bottom ribbon. It really doesn't look like it, but it is. Honestly, I like the way the bottom one came out better than the top one. And it does look like the top ribbon is a bit vacant comparing to the bottom one. Immediately I thought about breaking it up into another one, but at the time I was rushed and just wanted to cut this thing to see what it looked like and left it like that. I'll do another one with this in mind. When I get some time I'll probably do several designs incorporating ideas like this and see which one most people like and go with that one.

The pattern of the wood is just how it came out after it was radiused. It's just a cheap piece of plywood. I kinda wish I hadn't painted it though. I could've done a better job in photoshop, but I thought doing the paint would be a quick and easy way to make the inlayed pattern show up better in a pic. The paint brush I had was a 99 cent special with stiff plastic brissels and didn't do a good job at all. The paint bled out alittle too. Oh well. You got the idea anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
I like most of it, but I'd have the first couple frets and the last couple of frets mirror each other. That way it looks very neat but the middle has whatever random squiggles you're up for.

They actually are the same, but mirrored. I'll end up putting this into a new design and see what people think of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom24 View Post
the dots are a little too erratic. form the ribbon around a more usual fret marker pattern and you have a winner.

its beautiful.

Thanks! I thought about doing that. At first glance the DNA inlay doesn't look like it's going around the usual fret marker pattern, or at least to me it doesn't. The little dots and DNA strands kinda throw that off. So originally I thought about going around the usual fret marker placement, but decided to just draw the ribbon, and alternate the side that the dots go, and place them a certain distance from the ribbon, and let them fall where they fall.

When I get some more time I'll do one that goes around the usual fret markers and see what happens with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
Looks great! I'd extend the tip of the longer ribbon to just a little further, cos once a fret is on there, that little piece of ribbon extending past the fret would kinda be lost and would look like that ribbon just ends abruptly once it hits the 12th fret.

Yea, one of the things I'm going to tweak is extending that first ribbon so that the point extendes into the 13th fret area. I noticed that when I sawed the slot for the fret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
I absolutely love from the 9th down.

Awesome design.

Thanks! I do too. The top ribbon looks a bit vacant in comparison to the bottom one. Probably have to work on that one.

Thanks everyone for your comments! If anyone else has any comments please let me know. I'd like to come up with something that looks like this, but with the majority of the people liking it. I know I'll never be able to please everyone, but I can always offer different varieties of the same inlay to appease most people, if not everyone.

In the very near future I want to offer this as an option for a fret board inlay. The idea is to have something that looks pretty, organic, something you could put on a classic shaped guitar and you could say that it looks like it fits, and you could also put it on a RG shape or other metal guitar shape and say that it fits too.

I mean, the tree of life you normally might not think that it belongs on an RG or a JEM for that matter, but Vai changed that and now it looks normal to have that. J-Custom RGs have a tree of life that's more bubblier in appearance and it looks like it belongs there, you know. So, that's what I'm after. Something pretty, organic and natural looking, will set off a classy guitar shape as well as be pretty cool on an RG or other metal shaped guitar.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 01:48 PM

Reviews: 2

Looks nice, but the black thing looks as if it was randomly painted. I mean, if you put that neck in a guitar, it would not look "symmetric". Try to come up with a pattern, like the tree of life inlay that has leaves at the 1, 3, 5, 7, etc frets.

The red dots are perfect though. Still nice!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Hi Killer! Yea, that's because it was randomly painted. It was only to make it show up better in a pic. Looks horrible, but that was the paints sole purpose.

Tags
2018 customs , courtney2018 , dna , ribbon and confetti , tree of life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode