2027 is completed!!!! - my pickups finally arrived!!!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

2027 is completed!!!! - my pickups finally arrived!!!!

WHOO HOO!!! *My pickups finally arrived!!! *I had placed an order for a Tone Zone 7 and an Air Norton 7. *Apparently they decided not to put out the A.N.7 just yet...so they just offered to make it a custom for me. * I had waited since march/april. *Worth the wait. *Awesome combination. *They are using Ceramic magnets in them now, which are the same as my favorite pickups, the Gibson 496r/500t combo. *Ok, the Tone Zone 7 is wild. *You can rip harmonics out of everywhere! *I'm getting "natural" harmonics (no squealing or *other technique) from even the 9th and 6th frets! *And my 2nd and 3rd fret harmonics come out soo clear now! *It's great! *The sound phased is beautiful. *In one of my phased positions it sounds just like a natural auto-wah. *The Air Norton 7 is very nice. *When double hand tapping chords and rhythms the notes come out very very clear. *Nice punch, yet still rounded and warm. *A little deep for straight jazz...but i either phase it, or cut the coil and it sounds awesome. *Just right. *Very versatile pickups. *Very heavy, warm sound with the mahogany. *The low B comes out very crisp. *No mud here. *(especially through my 1x15 vintage club practice amp....) *Through the 4x12 Voodoo...it roars. *If you are looking for some tight rock pickups for your 7, this is the combo to get. *I do fusion jazz to straight european power/symphonic metal and these cover it all. *Dimarzio is again, the only way to go.
Keep rockin-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 03:03 PM

2027 is completed!!!!

Quote:
Quote: from Exotic Shredding on 11:51 am on June 27, 2001
You can rip harmonics out of everywhere! *I'm getting "natural" harmonics (no squealing or *other technique) from even the 9th and 6th frets! *And my 2nd and 3rd fret harmonics come out soo clear now! *It's great
Awesome!
Exactly what I'm lookin' for from the TZ6 (hopefully the same, anyone confirm?)

A lot of my playing centre's around NH's.

I'm glad it's all come together for you.
It's a great feeling when that happens and gives you a real boost in the playing department, sometimes new pups can basically make it a new axe and a whole new learning experience on how to develop their attributes.

I'm happy to hear a good response with mahog, as my worry was too much mud from both the AN and TZ (although I expect a slight more mud with no top)

Steve
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 05:30 PM

2027 is completed!!!!

Dude... Congrats!!!
I know exactly how you feel about the ToneZone7!!! Ive got one on my 2027 too and it sure rocks!!!

ripl3y:
New pups can definately make a new axe!!! Thats just what happened to me after I got the DiMarzios installed on my 2027. Before that I used to play the guitar maybe once in two weeks or whenever I wanted to play some 7-string stuff. But nowadays its real hard to choose between my Jpm and the 2027!!!

OoDee
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 09:55 PM

2027 is completed!!!!

DOH!! *Thats what im looking for. *Pickups to put in my 2027 that will make me think twice before I scoop up my JPM.
That does it then. *I will put that pair into the 7 string. *Zebra striped look quite appropriate.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 11:11 PM

2027 is completed!!!!

Judging from some pics i've seen, Dave Weiner used a 2027 while touring with Vai, but his pups don't look stock, anyone know what he put in there?
-Bradius
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 12:00 AM

2027 is completed!!!!

tomizm:
I've got the zebra color on my pups (center coils are white and the outer coils black) and it looks very nice. Another color I would've liked is yellow/red. But since the ToneZone7 had only white, black or zebra options, I had to go for the zebra color.

OoDee

p.s: Right now I really miss my guitars. I'm in Canada and they're home at Finland and I've got nothing to play with here!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 03:17 PM

Reviews: 21
2027 is completed!!!!

Thumbs up on the TZ7! *I've got a 2027 as well with a Tone Zone 7 in the bridge and PAF 7 in the neck. *I'm sure the Air Norton 7 is awesome, but don't be so quick to look past the PAF 7.

With the TZ/PAF combo, I've got the whole world of tonal possibilities in the 2027. *I've got a Jem7VWH, a Jem777VDY, and an RG3120 . . . I'd have to say my 2027 has the most tonal variety (even without the piezos). *The TZ screems like a banshee and the PAF is smooth as butta *

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents on the PAF 7 . . . no doubt about it though, put some Dimarzios in your 2027 and you've got a world class 7 string * :biggrin:
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 09:55 PM

2027 is completed!!!!

djrjems-
I'd lean toward the Air Norton 'cause I like a fatter, rounder tone. *I'm curious as to whether the PAF 7 is as bright as the PAF Pro? *I realize the maple top on the 3120 will make a difference, but what do you think?
Greg
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 01:57 AM

2027 is completed!!!!

Well... I guess I'll give my 2 cents on the neck pickup thing too. My 2027 has a Blaze in the neck. When I ordered it (in January) there were only two options for 7string neck pups (Blaze and PAF 7). I've tried the JSs and the Rg3120 and the PAF Pro wasn't really my cup of tea. There's just something missing there. So I thought that Blaze would be better option for me. At least it had sounded good on the UVs I have tried.
If there would've been an AirNorton7 back then, I would've probably ordered one. But I'm actually glad I didn't 'cause the Blaze is really cool. Even though I think that Air Norton is still a little cooler sounding, I wouldn't swap the Blaze away from my 2027. And I already have an Air Norton on my Jpm P3...

OoDee
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 12:03 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
2027 is completed!!!!

DemonicMinor - Dave has the Norton and Tone Zone in the new 7 (maple board no inlays) but is putting a PAF7 in the neck soon... glen
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 01:52 PM

Reviews: 21
2027 is completed!!!!

Regarding the tonal difference between the PAF 7 and the PAF Pro . . .

When I was trying to choose pups for my 2027, I actually called someone from Dimarzio to help me decide. *He described the PAF 7 as a cross between the PAF (DP103) and the PAF Pro . . . a bit fatter like a PAF, but still cuts like the Pro. *Obviously the maple top on the 3120 adds to brightness, but I'd still say the PAF 7 has a rounder, more mellow tone than the PAF Pro.

I found it to be an excellent choice for me . . . but, as I said before, put some Dimarzios in your 2027 and you'll be a happy camper * :thumbsup:

Seems that everyone who's tried Dimarzio 7 pups loves 'em . . . which combination you choose has to be up to you *
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 04:39 PM

2027 is completed!!!!

cool, thanks glen!
-Bradius

Tags
air norton , dave weiner , neck pickup , neck pup , paf pro , practice amp , tone zone , versatile pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode