21 fet vs 22 fret - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

21 fet vs 22 fret

I heard before a 22 fret sound more "fuller" "better (opinion) than a 24 fret necks. So how about 21 fret? Does it even sound even better fuller? Or is it the same? Or there IS sound different but based on personal opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 01:00 PM

Re: 21 fet vs 22 fret

Mostly based on personal preference. To my ears, a 24-fret neck has less bass response compared to that of a 22/21 fret neck.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 01:53 PM

I doubt the number of frets themselves actually factors into the sound but rather than the differences in the construction and set-up of traditional 22-fret vs. 24-fret guitars.

This is, of course, a generalization, but more "traditional"-style guitars are usually 22-fret and in many cases use different woods and pickups than 24-fret guitars, which are in many cases more of the "shreddy" super-strat variety. There are going to be fundamental differences in tonal properties between a Les Paul with a hardtail-bridged mahogany/maple body and PAF-style, Alnico pickups and an RG with a floating trem, basswood body and ceramic-magnet pickups. LP's also have a different scale length than an RG, but even a Fender Strat is usually made from parts that have properties that have contrasting sounds alongside a 24-fret-style guitar. Is this making sense?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 05:13 PM

There is the argument that, on a 21 or 22 fret guitar, the polepieces on the neck pickup usually line up with where the 24th fret 'would' be. I have heard and read from diehard tonehounds that, as there is a natural harmonic located at this point on the string, a 22 fret neck makes for a more 'natural' sounding neck pickup placement.

I've never been sure of whether to believe this or not....... The position of natural Harmonics varies all the time depending on which note is being fretted anyway. Ask Edward Van Halen
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 07:06 PM

i dont thin that two less frets would make it sound fuller, it all depends on the scale, the hardware , the nut, the pickups, the pickup placement, all play factor in the overal tone
P.S cant forget the wood
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

so is there any difference between 21 and 22? i thinking to get a fender jap stuff which most of them had only 21 fret yeah. im not too sure if i will need to use 22 fret or higher
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 04:13 AM

I don't think there is much difference in tone between 21 & 22 frets as others have explained bridge, pups, wood etc is more critical.

To me I wouldn't go for 21 frets because you end up with less notes to choose from - I'd miss the D on the 22nd fret on the high E string
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 05:27 AM

Reviews: 7

[QUOTE=wallopwallop]There is the argument that, on a 21 or 22 fret guitar, the polepieces on the neck pickup usually line up with where the 24th fret 'would' be. I have heard and read from diehard tonehounds that, as there is a natural harmonic located at this point on the string, a 22 fret neck makes for a more 'natural' sounding neck pickup placement. QUOTE]

Actually from my experience because the pick-up is at this node point where the mid frequencies cancel each other out it makes for a muddier sound, which is why I prefer 24 for the better pick-up placement and 2 octaves.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 03:07 AM

Well yes the 21/22 fret does sound a little better since the neck pickup is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch closer to the center of the string. Basic laws of physics. However there is much more advantage to the 24 fret necks in my opinion. Such as: 2 octaves on one string. Gotta love that. That cool harmonic that you get over the neck pup on a 21/22 is over the 24th fret and actually rings out louder. That is great for some neat trickery. I found after playing on a 24 fret (yes i used to be a 22 only type of guy) that i was using the top 2 frets a lot and coming up with some better playing because of it. As for the difference in tone between a 21 and a 22 fret? None at all. Since the neck pup is in the same place on both. The neck pup is different only between a 24 fret and the 21/22 fret neck. Hope this helps. Joshua
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 10:17 AM

"Better" is totally subjective, so whether you prefer the neck pickup sound better on a 21/2 or 24 fret model is up to you. For notes up to the 12th fret, a 22 fretter neck pickup will give a little more bass, since it's nearer the center point of the string - all else being equal. But all else usually ISN'T equal, so again, what sounds best to you, vs. do you need 24 fets?

I prefer 22 frets for many reasons, few of which have to do with notes or sound.
1) I learned on 22 fret Fender & Kramer guitars
2) I rarely play that high anyway, and if I need 4 whole 8ves, that's what bending and whammy bars are for.
3) I do slightly prefer that stratty position 2 sound and neck bucker sounds from a 22 freter...I think.
4) like the greater space between my H-S-H pickps on a 22 fretter; dunno why.
5) I love the JS/Radius body and they don't make 'em in 24 fret versions.

You pays your money and takes your choice..
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 02:00 AM

Maybe "fuller" isn't the right word for a neck pup on a 22 fret neck? I do find neck pups on 22f necks to sound more... vintage and hollowish, more loose.

24f neck pups seem to have more harmonic responsiveness, a tighter sound... but less of that vintage/traditional neck tone.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 01:57 PM

its probably just me, but ive never found any 24 fretted guitar that i prefer to my 21 fretted tele. theres something about haveing 21 frets, if you play something cool, then its like, i dont need extra frets to be good, and you feel good about yourself...its probably just me tho...:-)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 02:12 PM

I think this discussion is going from 21 vs. 22 to 24 vs. 22/21 the whole 24 vs 22 controversy is completely a matter of opinion, there are people that like the harmonics on the 24 better than the supposed "better" 22 fret neck.

In terms of the 21 vs. 22, I can't really imagine that much of a difference that the quarter of an inch would give in terms of the harmonic nodes tonally. Musically, you have that extra half-step. IMO, If both were offered at the same price, and the only difference in the models were the number of frets, I would go with 22 - I like headroom.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 04:39 PM

Yeah, but the topic shift is logical. The 22 vs. 24 thing is an interesting disussion of differences & preferences. The 21/22 one is pretty nonexistant, since there's no difference - except one has an extra fret. I mean neck pockets, pickup placement, all the stuff we discuss/argue about aren't there because they're the same for 21 or 22 frets. Well, I guess if you wanted a "vintage correct" vs. "modern improvement" discussion we could have one, but Jemsite is hardly the best forum for THAT...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallopwallop
There is the argument that, on a 21 or 22 fret guitar, the polepieces on the neck pickup usually line up with where the 24th fret 'would' be. I have heard and read from diehard tonehounds that, as there is a natural harmonic located at this point on the string, a 22 fret neck makes for a more 'natural' sounding neck pickup placement.

I've never been sure of whether to believe this or not....... The position of natural Harmonics varies all the time depending on which note is being fretted anyway. Ask Edward Van Halen
This I might actually agree to. Then again, almost any 21 fret neck has enough extra space at the end of the neck that you could easily add a 22nd to it.

I hate 21 frets. Makes it work to bend up to high E. I can live with 22 (or 24) just fine

Tags
bass response , basswood body , fender strat , fret guitar , fret guitars , fret neck , fret necks , kramer guitars , les paul , neck pickup , neck pockets , neck pup , van halen , whammy bars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode