2G or not 2G? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

2G or not 2G?

Oh the joys of guitardom...So, I currently own five Ibanez RG models. Well, four RG's and one Jem technically. The four RG's are Japanese. An RG550m 20th Anniversary in Desert Yellow, an RG550r 20th Anniversary black, an RG3550mz also in Desert Yellow and an RG655 in Candy Apple Red. The Jem is the Indonesian 70v Seafoam Green. I'm vexed, however. I'm on the fence about selling the 3550, black 550 AND 70v staying with the 655 and yellow 550 (Enter 2G pun here) and then getting a used 7VWH and having a little extra change in my pocket or if I should just wait.
The 3550 and the black 550 need a little work, both are due for a fret crowning but they aren't too bad and if I were to keep the 3550 then I would want to swap out the EMG's in it that I'm not a fan of. I don't know. I mean, I was pretty stoked when I got the 3550 so I'd kinda hate to see it go. It was sort of to fill the hole losing my 3570z left in my heart lol but to be honest, I kind of liked the way the rosewood on the 3570 felt a bit more.
My fingertips tend to get oily as I warm up and having the porous fretboard helped with keeping me from getting too stuck and it seems to absorb heat from my hands a little better also so it feels very organic and almost malleable if that makes sense.
I could try powdering my hands I guess. In the video of Malmsteen playing with the orchestra his hands look kind of white and dry almost powdered and I wonder if that is a method..
With that in mind you would think I would opt to keep the black 550 and not the yellow due to the fretboard but I'm not gonna do that lol. The yellow is just too difficult to find without being gouged to death by their owners.
Chop to the throat.
If you didn't intend on playing the damn thing, why'd you buy it? Just to profit? Cool move, d*#k...anyways lol..
Besides, I also still have the 655 which is also rosewood. Yes, there is a difference in the heel and yes, there is a 2mm width difference at the heel which you can tell after you've gotten used to both and yes, you tend to prefer both for their own reasons after you've played them enough. Bummer. Makes it harder to choose.
Since I'm not a rotten son of a bastard, I would price them pretty fairly:
3550mz EMG's $800
550r-xx $400
70v $800
with some wiggle room to spare.
I've never shipped anything or sold anything on anything other than Craigslist so it would be a learning experience for me.
I still haven't decided what I want to do so I'm just venting here.
I'm vented.
Thanks.

Last edited by joshlc2003; 08-06-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 02:12 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: 2G or not 2G?

If it's in good condition I think you can get more for the black 550 than $400.
Maybe it's just me but I'd just ditch the 3550 and buy something else; but not a used Jem. That's just me though.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
If it's in good condition I think you can get more for the black 550 than $400.
Maybe it's just me but I'd just ditch the 3550 and buy something else; but not a used Jem. That's just me though.
I probably could get more for it but honestly I'd rather move it and not have to haggle for little more than that. When I get something in my head I like to make moves NOW lol. And a good deal is a good deal, I always sell my stuff for less than I got it even though it's in better condition than when I got it.
Makes me ill to see how many people just don't take care of their things.
...Ugh.
The 3550 is the biggest crossroads for me. It's like a love/hate thing I have with that guitar. Same thing with a 1550m I used to have. Same thing with a 770DX reissue I used to have...
I think it's just maple fretboards with me. I don't know.
In any event I'm sure a few bucks here or there when trading guitars is NOT what I'm gonna be thinking about on my deathbed lol. I just want a guitar I'm gonna be happy with for more than just a little while.
And I want it to be an Ibanez.
And I want it to make awesome peanut butter and jellys.
Fat chance lmao.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 10:12 AM

See, I LOVE maple fretboards, but the EZ bridge is definitely something to think about.

Here's some advice from someone about to ditch his 2 prestiges (1550MZ and 2550MZ):

The 1550 was actually never released in japan with the EZ trem. I got this as an outlet piece and it was my first MIJ Ibanez. I'd hate to see it go, but as with the 2550MZ, it lost out to my AMAZING RG5000 (check the Japanese catalog, 1992 Spring thanks fair to see my ruby red 5000). It also brought me up to 7 Ibbies, and along with my carvin, I just can't play that many guitars. Also need to pay off a few debts so the 2 prestiges have to go.

Now, the reason I say that is because if you are happy with one of your other axes more than the ones you wanna sell, ditch em before you change your mind again.

Personally, I have 4 rare Ibanezes, 3 of which are Japan market models (RG5000, RGR580, RG685) and all of them I like playing more than my prestiges. The necks are just so much faster. I always swore I wouldn't sell my 1550, but after the 5000 came into my life, it was a quick decision.

I'd say look around, find something you think will give you happiness, get that guitar and if you like it, ditch the ones you wanna ditch. If not, keep em and enjoy playing em until you find something better
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
See, I LOVE maple fretboards, but the EZ bridge is definitely something to think about.

Here's some advice from someone about to ditch his 2 prestiges (1550MZ and 2550MZ):

The 1550 was actually never released in japan with the EZ trem. I got this as an outlet piece and it was my first MIJ Ibanez. I'd hate to see it go, but as with the 2550MZ, it lost out to my AMAZING RG5000 (check the Japanese catalog, 1992 Spring thanks fair to see my ruby red 5000). It also brought me up to 7 Ibbies, and along with my carvin, I just can't play that many guitars. Also need to pay off a few debts so the 2 prestiges have to go.

Now, the reason I say that is because if you are happy with one of your other axes more than the ones you wanna sell, ditch em before you change your mind again.

Personally, I have 4 rare Ibanezes, 3 of which are Japan market models (RG5000, RGR580, RG685) and all of them I like playing more than my prestiges. The necks are just so much faster. I always swore I wouldn't sell my 1550, but after the 5000 came into my life, it was a quick decision.

I'd say look around, find something you think will give you happiness, get that guitar and if you like it, ditch the ones you wanna ditch. If not, keep em and enjoy playing em until you find something better
Oh man, I definitely know what you mean. In the past month I've unloaded no less than 2 MIJ Jackson Kellys, my Dean Dime CFH, 2 count em 2 RG2550z's lol, a black RG550 20th aaaand finally today my RG3550MZ. I'm still undecided about how I feel about it but one thing is for sure, and that is that it's definitely too late lmao.
On the other hand I'm also the same guy who sold his '87 RG550 Roadflare, RG1550m (with the Edge Pro-*ick*) and RG3570 to get a Carvin JB200C...that I also did not keep.
So it's pretty safe to say that no guitar is safe lol.
I wound up now with the same RG655 That I actually really do enjoy, the RG550m 20th that I mentioned and a black RG550 20th that I replaced the OTHER one with because the frets were slightly less worn.
I got them dressed some time ago and it seemed like the guy took a little bit too much meat off so now they were worn down pretty good. Why didn't I get something else instead of the black 550? It just plays tremendously to me. Raw little guy lol.
I also have the newly acquired Jem 70V that I have at a good local luthier getting sorted out. Once I get that back I'm gonna decide whether it's gonna stay or go.
Since the two 550's and the 655 are the only ones that made the cut and they happen to be the most bare bones, I'm gonna call it at I'm not a bells and whistles kinda guy lol...However I think I still wanna take a gamble at a Jem 7v, we'll see haha.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlc2003 View Post
Oh man, I definitely know what you mean. In the past month I've unloaded no less than 2 MIJ Jackson Kellys, my Dean Dime CFH, 2 count em 2 RG2550z's lol, a black RG550 20th aaaand finally today my RG3550MZ. I'm still undecided about how I feel about it but one thing is for sure, and that is that it's definitely too late lmao.
On the other hand I'm also the same guy who sold his '87 RG550 Roadflare, RG1550m (with the Edge Pro-*ick*) and RG3570 to get a Carvin JB200C...that I also did not keep.
So it's pretty safe to say that no guitar is safe lol.
I wound up now with the same RG655 That I actually really do enjoy, the RG550m 20th that I mentioned and a black RG550 20th that I replaced the OTHER one with because the frets were slightly less worn.
I got them dressed some time ago and it seemed like the guy took a little bit too much meat off so now they were worn down pretty good. Why didn't I get something else instead of the black 550? It just plays tremendously to me. Raw little guy lol.
I also have the newly acquired Jem 70V that I have at a good local luthier getting sorted out. Once I get that back I'm gonna decide whether it's gonna stay or go.
Since the two 550's and the 655 are the only ones that made the cut and they happen to be the most bare bones, I'm gonna call it at I'm not a bells and whistles kinda guy lol...However I think I still wanna take a gamble at a Jem 7v, we'll see haha.
You didn't keep a JB200C? That sucks man, I love my JB200C It's my number 1, with my RG5000 being 1A.

As for premiums, I played an AT10P in white a few months ago that had awfully done frets and some pieces of the rosewood board chipped on the side. I had never had any serious problems with my RG350EXZ when I had it but that AT10P really scared me

I think you made the right choice in keeping the 550s and 655. I had a 93 550 in candy apple red that I sold to get my RGR580. Kinda regret it sometimes as it was a beater but played great. The 580 though, much harder guitar to find
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Question Re: 2G or not 2G?

Quote:
You didn't keep a JB200C? That sucks man, I love my JB200C It's my number 1, with my RG5000 being 1A.

As for premiums, I played an AT10P in white a few months ago that had awfully done frets and some pieces of the rosewood board chipped on the side. I had never had any serious problems with my RG350EXZ when I had it but that AT10P really scared me

I think you made the right choice in keeping the 550s and 655. I had a 93 550 in candy apple red that I sold to get my RGR580. Kinda regret it sometimes as it was a beater but played great. The 580 though, much harder guitar to find
I think for me the biggest regret I had was for like sentiment's sake, especially where the Dime and JB were concerned.
I found myself playing the guitars I liked the least the majority of the time and tweaking the setup on them, trying to get them to play in a way that I liked. Most of the time I wound up pretty frustrated but they were just neat guitars so I wanted to want to keep them, you know? But there were these little issues I would dig up and become very particular about.
I don't have as much time to play as I used to so for the time being I don't want to have little compromises getting in the way of enjoying myself when I do get to play.
In the end I'm glad I kept the 550s and the 655 too. They always feel 'ready to play' and that's what I want.
The only other move is if I end up actually liking the 70v then I will keep it quit while I'm ahead. If not, then I'll trade up towards a Jem 7v. Either a 2010 or one after 2011 or '12 since they had those body issues.
I should be getting it back by Saturday
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I think for me the biggest regret I had was for like sentiment's sake, especially where the Dime and JB were concerned.
I found myself playing the guitars I liked the least the majority of the time and tweaking the setup on them, trying to get them to play in a way that I liked. Most of the time I wound up pretty frustrated but they were just neat guitars so I wanted to want to keep them, you know? But there were these little issues I would dig up and become very particular about.
I don't have as much time to play as I used to so for the time being I don't want to have little compromises getting in the way of enjoying myself when I do get to play.
In the end I'm glad I kept the 550s and the 655 too. They always feel 'ready to play' and that's what I want.
The only other move is if I end up actually liking the 70v then I will keep it quit while I'm ahead. If not, then I'll trade up towards a Jem 7v. Either a 2010 or one after 2011 or '12 since they had those body issues.
I should be getting it back by Saturday
Get an earlier Jem7V, one with an Ebony fingerboard
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Get an earlier Jem7V, one with an Ebony fingerboard
You think? I've read a couple blogs that said 2002 was like the pinnacle year for the 7v. I'm a little skeptical of the 1 piece scarf joint over the 5 piece. If I could have one a each it would be a non issue lol.
Some people prefer the 1 piece, some don't. Some prefer rosewood over ebony, some vice versa. There are pretty much an equal amount of back and forth for each side. I haven't gotten the chance to try ebony, except for on a Parker Fly a while back and I was NOT amused lol.
I figure if I'm spending the most amount of money I've ever spent on any instrument, I might as well at least attempt to keep it for a while.
Also, I've read at a couple sites that people seem to think there's a profile difference between the scarf joint and the 5 piece.
So 3 basic variations then with the 7vwh:
1 piece scarf joint, ebony, lo pro
5 piece, rosewood, edge pro
5 piece, rosewood, original edge
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

...or I could jump on a pretty good deal on an RG750 that's in good shape and call it a day. What do you think?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
...or I could jump on a pretty good deal on an RG750 that's in good shape and call it a day. What do you think?
The 750 is a superb guitar, but if you are GASing for a JEM, just keep looking for a JEM.

Tags
ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode