540R Custom - My new favorite! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

540R Custom - My new favorite!

This 540R Custom is simply fantastic! I have a Jem7VWH which I thought was my favorite until I bought this radius. It is a 1991 USA Custom model in a BlueBurst paint scheme - kind of a black in the middle to blue then back to black on the edges. It looks fantastic, and those pickups have a sound all of their own. It is one of the most playable guitars I have ever owned. I realize it is not a "top of the line" model, but sometimes you just find a winner, and this one is. I think I read somewhere that the Satriani models are loosely based on this body shape, and if that is true, I can see why. It is just so easy to play. Time to clean out the other inventory and make room on the wall for this one - if I can put it down long enough to hang it up :-) Anyone else out there playing one of these? I also have a Blazer from the late 90's reissues, and it playes really well too. Ibanez makes some fine instruments.

See pics below.

Last edited by Sybex23; 08-15-2007 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Added Pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:55 AM

Re: 540R Custom - My new favorite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybex23 View Post
This 540R Custom is simply fantastic! I have a Jem7VWH which I thought was my favorite until I bought this radius. It is a 1991 USA Custom model in a BlueBurst paint scheme - kind of a black in the middle to blue then back to black on the edges. It looks fantastic, and those pickups have a sound all of their own. It is one of the most playable guitars I have ever owned. I realize it is not a "top of the line" model, but sometimes you just find a winner, and this one is. I think I read somewhere that the Satriani models are loosely based on this body shape, and if that is true, I can see why. It is just so easy to play. Time to clean out the other inventory and make room on the wall for this one - if I can put it down long enough to hang it up :-) Anyone else out there playing one of these? I also have a Blazer from the late 90's reissues, and it playes really well too. Ibanez makes some fine instruments.
GRRRRR That is EXACTLY the Radius I want so badly. That was my first exposure to Ibanez way back in the day and I have never forgotten the sound of it yet. It's what made me fall in love with Ibanez guitars in the first place!! Will you please post pics of it if you can so I can cry while I slit my wrists?? Thanks man.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Here are some pics:

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

It needs a little cleanup and adjustment, but I am happy with the general condition considering its age.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:31 AM

You got that one off the bay, no? I was watching that auction too, but I just didn't have the fundage to swing it. She's a beauty! Enjoy her! Okay, off to slit my wrists now.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Yes, evilbay it was. I saw it and just had to have it. What's a guy supposed to do??? :-)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Yes, evilbay it was. I saw it and just had to have it. What's a guy supposed to do??? :-)
A guy's supposed to give it to a girl who wants it more! Besides, I think I'm older than you anyway so I have seniority!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:47 AM

Reviews: 10

As soon as i saw the pics I thought that was a JS, nice guitar, good find

Hows it managed to become rusty on the lock nuts and screws? Makes you wonder what people do to their guitars, maybe it was kept in a shed :s

The body looks in good condition though, so a few hours clean up and screw replacements should have that looking brand new.

very nice
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 10:29 AM

Man, you gotta like the way those look, just awesome, and in very nice shape too. A lot of the BBs I've seen lately have been a bit beat up.

I've got a little older one (blue stripe isn't as wide, body shape is slightly different) we customized a bit by making some hybrid black/blue Dimarzios and putting a Proline neck on it.

FN - these are for you, since you're from my favorite former home state:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...its/540R%20BB/
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm not sure where it was stored. Fortunately, the moisture that caused the rust did not also warp the neck. It is straight and the fretboard is in great shape. This kind of reminds me of when I saw a 1970's era Les Paul some guy had hanging on his work bench in his garage. The season changes had taken their toll, but the guy just couldn't understand why the neck was warped and twisted. Makes you sick to see a nice instrument that wasn't taken care of. This guitar was at least stored in its case wherever it was, and that helped keep the finish in good shape.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpenguins View Post
Man, you gotta like the way those look, just awesome, and in very nice shape too. A lot of the BBs I've seen lately have been a bit beat up.

I've got a little older one (blue stripe isn't as wide, body shape is slightly different) we customized a bit by making some hybrid black/blue Dimarzios and putting a Proline neck on it.

FN - these are for you, since you're from my favorite former home state:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...its/540R%20BB/
DAYUM!! If you ever decide to sell that one you have to give me first dibs okay? Since I'm from your favorite former home state and all.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 12:24 PM

Reviews: 2

It looks like JS very much...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:10 PM

did you get that from ****? cuz it looks like one that was on there recently.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

RG FANMAN - yes, I did get that from the 'bay.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 03:27 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure where it was stored. Fortunately, the moisture that caused the rust did not also warp the neck. It is straight and the fretboard is in great shape. This kind of reminds me of when I saw a 1970's era Les Paul some guy had hanging on his work bench in his garage. The season changes had taken their toll, but the guy just couldn't understand why the neck was warped and twisted. Makes you sick to see a nice instrument that wasn't taken care of. This guitar was at least stored in its case wherever it was, and that helped keep the finish in good shape.
yeah lucky the neck is straight, must of been painfull to see the les paul in that shape. Storing things in the garage is the kinda thing my Dad does, I keep telling him whatever you store in the garage is going to get ruined by the temperature changes, moistness and bugs etc. And each time its always answered with 'oh it'll be fine' and then each item is always binned about a year later because.. surprise surprise its now ruined!

Still ... he knows best

Tags
body shape , bridge pickup , ibanez guitars , les paul , lock nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode