540s Neck and Bridge Questions... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

540s Neck and Bridge Questions...

OK, this is my first post, as I am new to the forum and I already screwed up and posted in the wrong forum once, so please be gentle. I have searched in an attempt to not ask a question that has been beaten to death; however, I have come up with so much overwhelming information, yet not exactly what I am searching for. I am hoping one of you can help.

I have an RG321MH that I love. That being said, I was in a friend's music store the other day and picked up a 1988, 540s that has the best neck I have ever felt on any guitar (and I worked in a music store for 5-years). It is 17mm at the 1st fret and 19 at the 12th, has 22-frets and is 25 & 1/2 scale. This isn't that far off of the Wizard II neck on my R-Series; however, what is most impressive to me is how narrow the neck is. This neck is really nice.

I would buy the guitar except that the body is thrashed, it has a Floyd Rose-type tremolo (I prefer either a fixed bridge or a semi-fixed tremolo that does not give the option of pulling up), and most importantly, the price is very high for how thrashed the body is (it looks like someone painted it with a rattle-can after beating it up).

My questions:

Is this neck a Wizard neck? If not, what is it?

Does this neck come in a 24-fret version? (I know the same thickness is offerred, but is there a model that is as narrow as well?).

Was there a guitar available with this neck, but with a fixed bridge or semi-fixed tremolo?

Are there any current models that have what I am looking for (mainly the neck, it does not necessarily have to have the saber body)?

Thanks!!!

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 AM

Re: 540s Neck and Bridge Questions...

That'd be an original wizard neck. Today, Ibanez calls it a Super Wizard neck which is available on their RG3000 models. There aren't any fixed bridge models though. The closest you'll get with a fixed bridge is an RG1421 or RG1451. This is referring to their current models, I'm not sure about past guitars.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks XX. Is there a way to purchase these necks from a vendor (I was told that Ibanez does not sell them), or can anyone recommend a neck builder who put out quality but also at an affordable price?

Thanks guys!

Kevin
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:46 AM

Wizard necks are fantastic and the old S series are great guitars! If the tremolo on the guitar you saw is original it is the "EDGE" tremolo, the best floyd there is IMHO and you can always block it if you don't need it...
Wizard necks most certainly came with 24 frets in various fretboard choices, maple, rosewood with dots or rosewood with sharktooth inlays and binding. Older wizards like the one you played are square heel and I think there were some with AANJ later on. Some pics of the different ones:

The only way to buy one of these necks is used (actually I have an '89 sharktooth FS in this forum but it's in Europe).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 02:56 AM

ET Guitars makes necks (link up top). From what I've read, they do really good work. Other than that, no one else makes replacement necks that'll fit on an Ibanez. Like jazzed said, look for a used neck on this site. I'll probably be looking for a prestige neck to put on my RG350 once I'm done modding it.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 12-17-2010 at 06:33 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I just sent an e-mail to ET Guitars to see if they can duplicate this neck but with an AANJ so I can put it on my RG321MH. The guitar appears to have the original pickups and tremolo. Blocking it would be interesting, as the reason I don't want it is because I rest my hand on it and constantly push them out of tune with my right hand. This neck is a 22-fret, but I would certainly prefer a 24. Out of curiosity, which fretboard wood do you prefer? Your guitars are beautiful. I would like to hear which fretboard wood you prefer and why.

Thanks again!

Kevin
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 05:24 AM

Well, it depends... I changed the neck of my RG back to its original maple neck in order to have variety.
Maple necks are in general a little brighter than the maple/rosewood ones and a little snapier (if that makes any sense) rosewood seems to be a little warmer.
The S series has a mahogany body and has generally a warmer tone overall with very nice sustain... I have one of those as well, really nice guitars and if I were you I would take my RG and play it back to back with the S. Also try to play them unplugged to hear the difference in tone!!

Tags
540s , saber , sabre , wizard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode