550 Reissue pickup question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

550 Reissue pickup question

Ive got an RG550 Reissue coming in the mail, stock pickups are getting the boot. Ive always stayed away from DiMarzio, since you never see anyone with a real heavy tone using them. I kinda wanted to use DiMarzios. I want Hums with pole pieces and not bars i.e. X2N.

Im thinking Evo's? Will they stand up to a burly metal tone as well as rock?
Those or D-Activators..

Any advice?

Kinda feel guilty putting EMG's in this, but I will if I cant find a suitable DiMarzio. Oh yeah, they are going to be green DiMarzios to give it a different look.

Im also thinking of having it painted Desert Yellow since the stock black is beat to hell and chipped up. I figured since the paint is screwed its lost any collector value, so painting it yellow wont hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: 550 Reissue pickup question

You can get pretty heavy with Evolutions! Go to DiMarzio.com and use the pickup picker. You can also search this site for other info.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 08:10 PM

Actually, EMG's might look pretty badass in it.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 08:26 PM

Probably Tone Zone or Super Distortion is what you're looking for. I'm pretty anti-EMG for an RG.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:55 PM

Passive pickups are simply going to be an extension of the guitars natural sound. Try the guitar first and see how it sounds to you first, then you will know what it wants.

Actives on the other hand sound the same no matter what. You can drop EMGs into a piece of plywood, and it will sound the same as a '59 Les Paul.

I am in no way a fan of actives, but with a gun to my head, I would use Duncan Blackouts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

I tried Blackouts. For an active I thought they sucked. I've just "personally" not found a pickup that cuts like the EMG'S. Youre right though they offer no identity. I just want to try something new. I bought a 7 with a D-Activator and it was pretty heavy. I've just been on a Vai kick lately.

Any input on the paint job?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 03:46 AM

I use Marty Bell for my paint, and have no complaints.

http://www.martybellfinishing.com/
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 05:50 AM

I'm using fellow Jemsiter Rodney Reams at http://www.liquidfxairbrushing.com who will painting one of my guitar bodies soon (soon as the package arrives, that is) but he came highly recommended for his outstanding work.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 06:38 AM

Reviews: 18

D-Activators maybe?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Sims does nice work and his prices are lower than anything else Ive seen. He's also done a bunch of 550's in Desert Yellow. I dunno. Maybe i'll just keep it black and put the green DiMarzios in it and add a green swoosh..

The D-Activator might be the ticket. Im still itching to try the Evo.

Any EVO users on here have any input?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:06 PM

I'm not sure I'm sold on D Activators. Now, I've only tried them in a Xiphos so maybe I can't rightly judge. I will never denounce my favorite tag team or Air Norton/Tone Zone (with a Tone Zone S in the mid if applicable.

I'm into the Air Classic set right now. I'm putting a brushed nickel set in both my old SZ520 and my custom 540PII.V natural mahogany finish when that's done being made.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

Any EVO users on here have any input?
Did you not see my last reply? You can also see the full reviews we've posted in the reviews section.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Meant to say any others. My bad. I'll search the reviews. I tried the pickup picker like you suggested and came up with the D-Activator and the Evo lol. I'm leaning towards Evo for bridge and Liquifire in the neck slot..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Did you not see my last reply? You can also see the full reviews we've posted in the reviews section.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:48 AM

Have you thought about the CrunchLab? I have one in a RG southern cross and it's fast becoming my favourite guitar, I just can't get a tone out of it I don't like.

I also have an Evo2 (not quite an Evo but close) in a RG1570, and I much prefer the Crunchlab.

Whatever you go with, I hope it gets you where you want to be.

Rock on!

EDIT: Doh! didn't see the "no bar" stipulation, sorry bout that. :EDIT

Last edited by HeavyMetal4Ever; 10-15-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Doh! didn't see the "no bar" stipulation, sorry
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Honestly the no bar thing is just me wanting to stick to the traditional 550 look

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
Have you thought about the CrunchLab? I have one in a RG southern cross and it's fast becoming my favourite guitar, I just can't get a tone out of it I don't like.

I also have an Evo2 (not quite an Evo but close) in a RG1570, and I much prefer the Crunchlab.

Whatever you go with, I hope it gets you where you want to be.

Rock on!

EDIT: Doh! didn't see the "no bar" stipulation, sorry bout that. :EDIT

Tags
550 , reissue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode