6 or 7 strings ? :) - advice required for beginner - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
SUX

6 or 7 strings ? :) - advice required for beginner

Hey everyone !

Basically, I am gonna start playing and am looking about for a guitar...and first thought came to mind .....

6 or 7 strings.

I like a lot of music that uses 7-string guitar and would like to be able to learn to play these songs. There is also something which draws me to the 7-string too...I just seem to prefer the idea.

However, I realise that it may not be a great idea to start off on a 7 string guitar if it is exponentially more difficult to play. I have asked people who I know and they reckon that there is no reason why it should prove to be more difficult to learn on a 7 string....and in fact they say at least u will be used to it from the start instead of switching over to it from 6.

I know you can achieve a similar sound with 6 strings by detuning to dropped D and taking half a step down etc.....but...I still just kinda wanna get a 7...

Anyways... I put it to u people.

Also...recommendations on a good entry level 7-string guitar?

I quite like the look of the Ibanez GRX720 are these any good?

Cheers.

-SUX-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 05:48 PM

6 or 7 strings ? :)

Hey sux, welcome to the jemsite community. You'll find this site is the most helpful site you can find ANYWHERE about most things you want to know about guitar. Everything else you have to learn yourself!! hehehe.. anyways...heres how I feel.

*When your just starting off I feel that it might be in your best intrest to stick with a good 6 string. If your hands are completely foreign to a guitar neck the 7-string will probably be a little to overwhelming and might actually hinder your learning. I know what you mean by the 7-string being a "cool idea", hell thats mostly the reason I got into them. Their different. But theres a price to pay. The necks, even on RG7's and UV's, are considerably wider then any 6 string neck. And thats not even going near Shecter or Fender who's necks feel like baseball bats. But if your sure you want to get into 7's at some point then dont get an expensive 6 string. Just some RG120 or something like that and learn your way around a bit. Are you taking lessons?? because that will greatly speed up the learning process. (when i mean greatly, i mean GREAT-LY!) hehehe but then again the most important aspect takes a long time to work on. Technique. The ONLY way to learn technique is on your own time, by practicing countless hours. And if your just sitting there twiddling around with the low E it aint gonna do anything for your technique. you need to really work at it.
* Guitar is a lot of effort. But it pays off with overwhelming happiness. Everyones rate of learning is different but you'll know when you think your ready to tackle a 7-string. If they hurt your hands, DONT get one. Keep working on your 6 untill your hands have grown to work a neck enough to be able to compensate for a 7. I've been playing 7's for a year and a half now and I STILL am learning how to compensate for it. But I've come a long way.

*Anyways i dont want to just keep rambling off. Basically, you dont HAVE to start on a 6. if you want a 7, it will just be a lot more work. and a lot more pain. but that doesnt mean you cant become a good guitarist. either way, 6 or 7, you need to put it the time. it will pay off. and pleassse..>DONT worry about ********
at first. I sucked at guitar my first 6 years!!! (i never took lessons) i was sooo bad. but finally i beat the learning curve and now it just gets easier and easier to learn something new. im still a long way from where I want to be, but the hardest parts are over with. all i can do now is keep practicing, and keep exploring new areas I havent tried yet. and in regards with the 7-strings..remember...7 strings are pretty much the SAME EXACT thing as a 6, just with one extra string. theres no more magic to them. theres no added electronics that will make you a better player. Magic always comes from the hands. no matter what.

end of my speech

cw

edit- STAY AWAY FROM THE GRX720, their worthless pieces of crap! if anything go for the new RG7321's. or try to find a used or even new RG7421. The quailty for the money is unbelievable.

(Edited by MADWELL at 4:50 pm on April 23, 2001)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 06:20 PM

To add to that I feel that it definatly has to do with what your use to. If you start on a 7 then it will feel normal to you, becuase thats all you'll have experianced.
Most of us had to do it the other way.
buzz
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 06:34 PM

That is very true. It could work either way. It might be better for him to start on a 7, but like I said it depends a lot on hand size too. if you have tiny hands, im sorry, you can be jimi hendrix and your still not going to have an easy time with a 7 string.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 07:13 PM

go for what you feel man

dunno bout pain involved (they say no pain no gain, but i say no pain no tendonitis ) but i find guitar playing very enjoyable... only sorry i don't have a 7 stringer at the moment.
learning difficulties on a 7, fair enough, but you can still learn the basics (ignoring the extra string if ya want to). Thing is, if you get a 6 then a 7, you'll still have to 'learn' to play with the seventh string, if you know what I mean, so why not start off learning it anyway

-=entemode=-
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
SUX

Cheers for the replies people. I shall give it a little more thought before making my final decision. Still have the urge to get a 7-string though .

BTW :

Stagemaster 7FR

This...... I like....any thoughts ?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 11:33 PM

When I first started on 7's I was(and still am not)very good and I ordered a grx720 from musician's friend thinking how bad could it be. Man was I pissed when I saw it. The fingerboard had chips and cracks, the pickgaurd was not cut right, I could have done a better job on the Ibanez logo, and the guitar died a week after I got it. Then I found this site and if I was not hooked on Ibanez before I am now. After coming here for awile I saved up some cash and took the grx7 and traded it in(I was supprised they took it) and got an rg7620 and I am now much happier(though now I want a uv). Anyway I'm guessing the stagemaster is just as bad but if you don't wanna spend much the look at the Kramer Striker 7-string at MusicYo.com.Good luck.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 07:37 PM

I've played plenty of those stagemaster7's... I work in a store that sells them. They are actually good beginner 7's/ I own a 7620 and a UV so im used to high standards and for under three bills the squier plays and sounds good. I would recomend the fixed bridge over the FR model though. Squiers floyds are horrible and if you going to tune down. (Im imaginging you are for korn, bizkit..etc.) you will have problems with their floyd.
Just my opinion, if its not an edge it should be fixed.

(Edited by Erok at 6:38 pm on April 29, 2001)

Tags
fixed bridge , guitar playing , jimi hendrix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode