7 String Advice Required - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

7 String Advice Required

I have never ever even played a 7 string guitar and I am starting to be tempted by the idea. I have seen them in the stores but I wouldn't know what to do with one if I had a go. I quite fancy getting an RG7 or a K-7.

Can all you 7 Stringers out there tell me what there like?

Are they hard to play compared to a 6 string?

I have quite small hands so are they acqward to play with the wider neck?

What the hell do you do with the extra string???

I know it is a B string but how does this work in relation to chords etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 01:46 PM

7 String Advice Required

When ever I pick up my rg7620 I feel like I'm holding a mans guitar, not like my little girly feeling rg550.:biggrin: Next time you see one pick it up you will never want to put it back and make sure it's at least a rg7421(I dont trust the rg7321 and won't til I try it). Sound wise try a uv's blaze pickup because the 7620's pickups are muddy.Well thats all from me, anyone else like to add anything I missed?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 03:11 PM

7 String Advice Required

If you buy a 7-string, buy one with a fixed bridge like the RG 7621, 7421 or the Ax7521 or 7221, this will allow you to experiment with tunings, it also gives a longer sustain. They aren't hard to play due to the fact that Ibanez uses very thin necks. *What you do with the *B-string depends on what type of music you play. Jazz uses it for walking bass lines, Schred Metal uses it for chording and soloing, and New metal uses it for very low power chords or uses it as a drone.

(Edited by stoopid at 2:12 pm on Feb. 28, 2001)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 04:09 PM

7 String Advice Required

And I'd tell you just the opposite- there are so many different things a lo-pro edge can do for your playing that I can't imagine not having one.

It completely depends on what kind of music you enjoy and play.

As far as a 7 in general, I find them completely natural feeling and have very little to no problems switching back and forth from 7s to 6s. If anything I find a 7 a little easier to play, but that boils down to how I ancor my hand on the strings. I do have big hands and long fingers though, which could easily make a difference.

The B relates to the E down low just as it does up high. Its all part of the same puzzle- doesn't change it, just adds to it, if that makes any sense. All your runs and licks and chords work essentially the same. It will take a little while getting used to, but not too long.

I'd suggest spending some time with one at a store before making any decisions.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 06:16 PM

7 String Advice Required

I'm with cmartin on the trem topic, but still, its up to what you play.
Personally, I'm happiest with a 7, it feels too natural to me, which is probably why I only own 7's now. However, when I had a 7 and a 6, I found after playing the 7 for a while, when I picked up a 6, it was almost too easy to play....which is not a bad thing!!

If you're really interested, you just need to spend lots of time at your local dealer. Just mess around with one as much as possible. As far as chords, there are many references on-line to look at, I suggest going to Rob Balducci's site, he's got a link to some great lessons.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 08:25 PM

7 String Advice Required

I too enjoy the trem like cmartin and todd. Make sure its a Lo-pro edge tremlo though. Which means either get a RG 7620 (not 7420), RG2027 (but hurry),K-7, or a UV. Definatly chang the pickups in the first two if you get them though. Ive owned and extensivly played on all but the K-7, and have a Rg 7620 fixed bridge that i extensivly modified. The change in playing is easy as pie for me, but i have encounterd people who cannot adapt. There excuse was small hands. Up to the challenge i asked them to put there hand up to mine. They were exactly the same size. It just depends on the person I guess. *Check it out. The smoothest neck I have is either the 2027 or the UV both good in different ways. Im sure the K-7's neck will be sweet also.
buzz
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 10:19 AM

7 String Advice Required

Why did Jimi use his thumb so much? So...
what would Jimi Hendrix have done with a 7?
As far as what kind to get... First hand experimentation
where it is all you is hard to beat. Just use polymorphism.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 10:54 AM

7 String Advice Required

Quote:
Quote: from 1 1 Dragon 2 2 2 on 9:19 am on Mar. 1, 2001

Why did Jimi use his thumb so much? So...
what would Jimi Hendrix have done with a 7?
As far as what kind to get... First hand experimentation
where it is all you is hard to beat. Just use polymorphism.
He would have probably used that added range to his advantage in further expressing himself. Also, nobody said you can't use your thumb with a 7 too to create unique chord shapes and sounds (depending on the size of your hands of course).
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

7 String Advice Required

Well I got myself a 7-String, it's not exactly what I was planning on but I picked up a S/H Peavey Predator 7 for $100.

As I had never really had much experience with 7's before I saw this and thought it was perfect. Fixed bridge, 2 humbuckers. It will do the job for the monemt anyway.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 01:07 AM

7 String Advice Required

Congrats on the 7! *You're gonna have a blast!

I too prefer the trem'd 7's to the fixed bridges, but only because I need the trem to dive-bomb out of my botched solos. *:biggrin:

I find them VERY comfortable to play due to my large hands and long fingers. *I think that larger folks do have an advantage here- the UV's look "normal" in Ken Burtch's hands, but kinda big on Billy Barty. *Odd, huh?

For some quick basics, go here:
www.robbalducci.com
Click on the picture I took of that kid covering his ears at one of Rob's performances, then click on "Lessons". *(Be sure to have the Adobe Acrobat plug-in installed on your browser.)

When you're ready to move up from the Predator 7, look for a pre-owned RG-2027, or a nice RG-7. *If you do want one with a trem, make sure it's Lo-Pro equipped. *You'll thank us.

Tags
edge trem , fixed bridge , jimi hendrix , pro edge , pro edge trem , rob balducci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode