7 String Blackouts... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

7 String Blackouts...

...not a huge active pup fan by any means, but I was considering checking in on one of those new Schecter Blackjack ATX deals...anybody have any commentary on these Duncans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Banned

Re: 7 String Blackouts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangeChannel View Post
...not a huge active pup fan by any means, but I was considering checking in on one of those new Schecter Blackjack ATX deals...anybody have any commentary on these Duncans?
if u are trully interested in active tone i would recomend carvin active tone circuit wich is the best sounding and most adaptable one made in my opinion. another thing is you have more control by adding a passive 7 string pup with the charachteristics and tone you want.....

in this way you arent limited to the tone of the blackouts....you can use the active circuit that carvin makes either passive or active just pull out the volume pot...and you can use ANY passive pup, just wire it in properly

so if u get bored, you can also swap the pup out and still have active. or passive tone
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

wasn't really a big carvin pup fan on the 747 I used to have...cool finish tho' (was like a metallic grey but dark and really sparkley) that they don't make anymore. Infact I'm devoid of 7 at this time in total, so I'd like to grab something with a relatively tight low B and some decent pups...thanks for the insight man!

J.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned

no not the carvin pups

the carvin active circuit

https://www.carvinguitars.com/produc...p?product=502G

with this you can wire ANY passive pickup
u wand a low b
get a d activator or a x2n or you know in that range, and wire it up

makes any passive pup a a passive or active circuit and its clean!!! really good unit i must say
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Gotcha... shaking off the medicine head...ha. Carvin's circuit might defeat the purpose really, considering that many of the options I have in the mid range priced 7's, some have legit EMG's or now Blackouts or passive Duncans onboard...I was just wondering really if there were any general complaints considering this might be a sight unseen purchase...most likely I can return it if it blows...
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Banned

in all honesty if u want all out balls get s x2n-7. and nothing will stand in your way

but some people like those active emg and duncans

me not soo much but some people do
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:15 AM

I've never been a fan of Carvin's active citcuits. On the guitars where I've had them, I've simply left them off.

That said, Frank Falbo from this forum is in New Product Developement at Duncan, so I would have to think the Blackouts would work for the majority of Jemsiters needing a good alternative to the other active 7 string pickups out there. I haven't tried them myself, but I would.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim...as mentioned I'm passively looking for a middle of the road 7 and there's a new Schecter model w/ Blackouts loaded stock...again this might be a sight unseen deal so any insight on those particular pups is much appreciated. I'm not looking for aftermarket pickups, moreso just a middle of the road seven at this point that I'm not going to drop a ton of coin on...
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 04:57 PM

I bought a set for my 7620 a few weeks ago but haven't gotten round to installing them yet (when Seymour Duncan say they're a direct replacement for passive pickups and will drop right in they're only telling half the truth...sure, the casings aren't as big as EMG's but the pickup cavity is still too shallow and needs routing out to fit them in anyway )

As soon as I finish off routing out the cavities and get them installed I'll let you know what they're like but from the general buzz surrounding them and the amount of long-time EMG users that are switching over I don't think you have to worry about them being poor.

The comparison people keep on bringing up is that they sound like EMG's with the 18volt mod to get rid of the sterility and provide a bit more dynamics...and then some extra tone chucked in on top!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks Jim...as mentioned I'm passively looking for a middle of the road 7 and there's a new Schecter model w/ Blackouts loaded stock...again this might be a sight unseen deal so any insight on those particular pups is much appreciated. I'm not looking for aftermarket pickups, moreso just a middle of the road seven at this point that I'm not going to drop a ton of coin on...

ton of coin..??

lets see, for all out balls, in my opinion for the most tone you could ever get on a 7 string is the x2n-7 about 80 bux for bridge and for neck id say any dimarzio could compliment it but id give a vote for a duncan distotion and the neck would be 80 too

a blackout set wich isnt directly sold at music centers, is (6 string) 170 and a 7 stroing im sure is more

but lets coin in on the term mid level....or shall we also coin in the fact that active isnt really hotter than passive.....

so you want to get a "active" setup, to give you the most that you could get from a 7 string

when in fact that a active pickup is just a lower output pup that goes through a internal circuit and uses a 9 volt to boost up a ver low gain pup, therefore inherently adding the charachteristic of that internal circuit.... that is added

so you want active..?? how come you dont just buy a setup that has a matched charachteristics that you love, i.e. evo, breed, d distortion, x2n etc... and just plug ur guitar up to a small behringer ubs02 and use one channel...im sure you know a small mixer to have control over the gain, trim, freq responce on the highs and lows...etc...would a much better approach to using ACTIVE pup setups where u are limited tp how ur pups work wich may i add, i have nothing good to say for active pups....in general..but i do like some boutique models

my gig is always on a passive setup...if i want active tone i pay 30 bux more and plug it into a small mixer where i can actually dial in the gain, trim and freq. i want that pup giving me.....hey i can make my x2n sound like a burstbucker with those little mixers, and the sound quality coming out of those little mixers are better than the internal circuit of the active pups

im waiting a stoning from a emg lover here...im prepared
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Bro cut it with the bs semantics, if you read my initial post I'm talking about middle level priced seven strings...pretty much the Schecters at this point, that have either EMGS, Passive Duncans, or the Blackouts. The one I'm particular piqued on has these stock...all I was looking for was a general opinion from guys that may have used them and instead I get you blasting me about pickup pricing....way to READ the thread ace. I don't care for the X2N and since theyre not stock loaded on a relatively inexpensive seven string, you're not even hitting the mark there...I wasn't saying I was looking to buy active pickups...merely a guitar that has them stock, and to boot I also mentioned that I'm generally NOT A FAN of actives. Being as to the fact that I don't currently have a seven to put the carvin electronics in you missed the point there too...I mean I appreciate the response but you're really preaching to the wrong choir here...not meaning to be the straw that stirs the drink here but the topic wasn't really stuck to and I even tried to steer it back to point a few times....sheesh.

J.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Bro cut it with the bs semantics, if you read my initial post I'm talking about middle level priced seven strings...pretty much the Schecters at this point, that have either EMGS, Passive Duncans, or the Blackouts. The one I'm particular piqued on has these stock...all I was looking for was a general opinion from guys that may have used them and instead I get you blasting me about pickup pricing....way to READ the thread ace. I don't care for the X2N and since theyre not stock loaded on a relatively inexpensive seven string, you're not even hitting the mark there...I wasn't saying I was looking to buy active pickups...merely a guitar that has them stock, and to boot I also mentioned that I'm generally NOT A FAN of actives. Being as to the fact that I don't currently have a seven to put the carvin electronics in you missed the point there too...I mean I appreciate the response but you're really preaching to the wrong choir here...not meaning to be the straw that stirs the drink here but the topic wasn't really stuck to and I even tried to steer it back to point a few times....sheesh.

J.
yeah no i responded at the end to dispute the diferences and the way i see actives,im knowi got it, how u are looking to pickup a 7 string loaded with the genre of components u are interested in.....meerely, i was responding to the last couple posts
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Ok cool...sorry man, it just seemed like th general point was missed. In any event that aged white they have on the Blackjack ATX looks cool...and I sorta like beefy necks, plus it won't break the bank...and since I'm not dropping $1200 plus on a 7 at this point...$699 w/ better than stock pups is a bargain to me...plus it's not an indo-made Korn sig...had one...HATED IT. the body was way too light and it was neck heavy and the fit and finish wasn't that great on the Apex2...so I think I'm jump over to the Schecter side for this go around.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Ok cool...sorry man, it just seemed like th general point was missed. In any event that aged white they have on the Blackjack ATX looks cool...and I sorta like beefy necks, plus it won't break the bank...and since I'm not dropping $1200 plus on a 7 at this point...$699 w/ better than stock pups is a bargain to me...plus it's not an indo-made Korn sig...had one...HATED IT. the body was way too light and it was neck heavy and the fit and finish wasn't that great on the Apex2...so I think I'm jump over to the Schecter side for this go around.
no i tottaly see what u mean, i was just ranting and raving on active vs passive..in this case its more on the line of....what guitar do you wana go with, since you dont buy a guitar for the pups right..???? more for the playability since pups can go either way whenever you want...
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 11:34 PM

Check out sevenstring.org. Tons of guys over there are using blackouts now. I have not heard a single complaint about them. I use 707's in a Schecter Loomis myself and really like them but from what I hear the Duncans are supposed to have more output, less noise and a more organic tone. There are at least 3 or four guys at SS.org that have switched the 707's in the loomis to the Blackouts. They all rave about them. The Blackjack ATX IMO is probably the best bang for the buck 7 on the planet. I almost ordered one but couldn't justify buying another guitar so similar to my Loomis.

Tags
bass amp , blaze neck , clean tone , coil tap , dimarzio evo , frank falbo , pickup cavity , seymour duncan , string pickup , string pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode