Ibanez JEM Forum banner
5K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  7 Dying Trees 
#1 ·
Hi guys

I'm in love with my PAF Pro's and being a Dimarzio nut I would like to install something similar in a 7 string I will be getting soon. I've searched the Dimarzio site and they only have the standard PAF 7 string pups, not PAF Pro. Can anyone advise as to which Dimarzio closely matches the PAF Pro for 7 strings?

Many thanks

~J

#9 ·
Here's the PAF 7

http://www.invisibleband.com/kennydoe-PAF7-demo.mp3

disclaimer: This was written and recorded in about 20 minutes before i had to head out to a gig. The playing sucks. I know it sounds like Stevie Wonder ate "The Animal". The strings are over a year old, but not played that much. I hardly ever play 7 string anymore.

I hope that's enough excuses for the awfulness of this. Please, Mr. Blucher, don't come after me for presenting your wonderful pickup in this light.

All the guitar tracks are PAF7 in the neck position. Rhythm track is totally clean and dry.
The three leads are clean with effect, kick on gain, kick on high-gain.

Oh it's a UV777PBK with basswood body and rosewood fretboard.

~K

#15 ·
If you still are wondering, there is a great source on sevenstring.org. They do pretty in depth reviews on pick-ups, mainly your UV's,74/76/20's,. I was looking through there yesterday and noticed a fellow who did around 4 or 5 swaps in a row trying to find the right combo for his 7321. I believe the popular p/u swap is usually a Blaze (Bridge) and Air Norton in the neck but, I think (not 100%) this guy ended up happy with a Blaze neck (in bridge position) and a PAF7 in the neck. All depends on what your looking for tone-wise, but typically on the 74's and 76's, we're all dealing with basswood bodies. A lot of these reviews involved basswood bodies. Good luck!

#20 ·
There actually is a PAF Pro7 that is non standard production. (No, its not a PAF7 Im confused with, I have those also and they sound and look different.) You might want to call Dimarzio and ask if they will one-off it for you custom. It has the correct double row of hex poles, and is hotter than a PAF7 with more scooped mids. I have one in the neck of my LACS. Ill see if I can get you the DP number tonight if I have time to pull the pickup and look at the back. Its actually really close in sound to the six string version.

#21 ·
There actually is a PAF Pro7 that is non standard production.
now why didn't this become a production model boggles the s@$ts out of me... if it is actually possible to order a one-off model for several customers, I'd give 'em a call ASAP unless DiMarzio debuts this at NAMM '08. I doubt that since it should've been available when the PAF7 was released.

Reg

#23 ·
Well, I like the following from having tried a "few" things:

- Dimarzio Evolution7 : If you want a hot pickup that screams, this is it.
- Blaze bridge (with pole pieces raised on the 4 bass strings, about 1mm out of the casing) - I really so no point in the blaze untill i bought a UV where someone had done this. Great for a more rock/bluesy like tone, really opens up the pickup a fair bit.

Ultimately, I do think Bareknuckles smoke the lot of them, but I can't afford to buy sets for all my guitars :D

Blaze Neck I do really like, it's just a good neck pickup, although I have to admit I've only just got my hands on an air norton7, plus I'll be giving the D-Activator neck and the x2n7 a bash in the next few weeks :)

Blaze Custom was OK, but a bit nasally, and had this weird bottom end in basswood which never really sounded good, messy imho. In Mahogony BC's work nicely though.

Oh, and avoid the Tone Zone 7. Polar opposite of the normal tone zone. The TZ7 has been awfull in every baswood/mahogony, the lot. Terrible pickup. Avoid.

THe neck stock 7620 pickup isn't as awfull as people make it out top be, a bit flat overall, but nice and thick and will work well. The bridge, however, well... I'd prefer a TZ7...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.