7 string Dimarzio pickup preference? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

7 string Dimarzio pickup preference?

Hi guys

I'm in love with my PAF Pro's and being a Dimarzio nut I would like to install something similar in a 7 string I will be getting soon. I've searched the Dimarzio site and they only have the standard PAF 7 string pups, not PAF Pro. Can anyone advise as to which Dimarzio closely matches the PAF Pro for 7 strings?

Many thanks

~J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 11:11 AM

Re: 7 string Dimarzio pickup preference?

I think d activators 7 are better cause you don't have any muddy low strings.You should try them,I love them.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

When you bend the high strings do they break up and sing like a PAF pro?

For reference, EMG's do not break up and sing IMO.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 12:05 PM

i have an Evo7 in the bridge and a PAF 7 in the neck of my UV.

I like the combination. I can record some if you want. Let me know what you want to hear.
~K
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Right on man! No need to record anything special for me but if you have something pre existing I would love to hear it!

Thanks

~J
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:27 PM

Reviews: 5

I have had the EVO7 in the bridge and the AN7 in the neck for the last like 5 7 stringers I have owned. Once or twice I have had the blaze neck in there.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:29 PM

I like the 6 stringer PAF Pros, and I really like the 7 string PAFs, and I don't think they get muddy on the low end. A little lower as far as output goes, but I think they sound crystal clear.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretrunnr View Post
I think d activators 7 are better cause you don't have any muddy low strings.You should try them,I love them.
I'll second that. Got the bridge model in my 7620 and it has been outstanding. Good enough, in fact, that I decided to re-record the 7-string tracks on the new album I'm working on once it was installed. Really cleaned things up a lot. Great response on all strings.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:16 AM

Here's the PAF 7

http://www.invisibleband.com/kennydoe-PAF7-demo.mp3

disclaimer: This was written and recorded in about 20 minutes before i had to head out to a gig. The playing sucks. I know it sounds like Stevie Wonder ate "The Animal". The strings are over a year old, but not played that much. I hardly ever play 7 string anymore.

I hope that's enough excuses for the awfulness of this. Please, Mr. Blucher, don't come after me for presenting your wonderful pickup in this light.

All the guitar tracks are PAF7 in the neck position. Rhythm track is totally clean and dry.
The three leads are clean with effect, kick on gain, kick on high-gain.

Oh it's a UV777PBK with basswood body and rosewood fretboard.

~K
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:40 AM

i'm having pf pros in nerly ll my 6stringers but when it comes to 7 the blaze2 [universe stock pu] are great!
try them!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Right on Kenny and thanks for the audio! What are you using for drums and bass on that?
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:28 PM

Bass is a Triton Extreme and the Drums are an Alesis DM5
Amp is a Peavey Transtube 112 turned up really loud.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 04:55 AM

Am I the only one who likes the standard Dimarzio Blaze pickups as found in the 7620s?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
Am I the only one who likes the standard Dimarzio Blaze pickups as found in the 7620s?
standard new7's.....
try a blaze custom, if you haven't already. you'll definitely hear a huge difference.

rich
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 AM

If you still are wondering, there is a great source on sevenstring.org. They do pretty in depth reviews on pick-ups, mainly your UV's,74/76/20's,. I was looking through there yesterday and noticed a fellow who did around 4 or 5 swaps in a row trying to find the right combo for his 7321. I believe the popular p/u swap is usually a Blaze (Bridge) and Air Norton in the neck but, I think (not 100%) this guy ended up happy with a Blaze neck (in bridge position) and a PAF7 in the neck. All depends on what your looking for tone-wise, but typically on the 74's and 76's, we're all dealing with basswood bodies. A lot of these reviews involved basswood bodies. Good luck!

Tags
air norton , basswood bodies , basswood body , blaze bridge , blaze neck , blaze pickups , bridge position , dimarzio blaze , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , high strings , low strings , neck pickup , neck position , paf pro , paf pros , production model , rosewood fretboard , scooped mids , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode