7 string + GK-2A question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

7 string + GK-2A question

Ok, we know there isn't a 7 string guitar synth, only 6 strings that I'm aware of.

My question is what do you guys prefer on a 7 string, the GK on the E thru E or the B to B?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 04:09 AM

I've heard most people like E to E as they say it tracks better or something, and they use the high notes more. But then, Amir Derakh of Orgy uses Roland GK-2A pickups on his 6-strings tuned down to B without any trouble, and I've heard of others using theirs on the B-B setup of a 7-string as well.

I guess it comes down to which strings you'll be using more often with it. If you want those five extra low notes, go for the B-B setup, but if you want the higher notes, go for the E-E.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
I've heard most people like E to E as they say it tracks better....
it does. the reason is because the roland midi pickups track more accurately on smaller gauge strings. the bigger the strings get, the worse the tracking is. Allan Holdsworth on his synthaxe, a completely midi guitar, uses .008s for all six strings to get really good tracking.

so you can try B-B if you want, but it won't track as well.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, good points about Roland hex pickups tracking better with lighter gauges. I tried that after reading it on the net, it really does track faster.

A neck with .008's on every string would be of no use other than midi work?
I wonder would each string be tuned to the same note?
(which note?C4?) (Note triggering is gets transposed to what ever tunnings)

Do piezo midi bridges vary in tracking with different gauges?

For now I'm gonna try double sided tape so I can experiment, either way I'm gonna be missing one string of expression but I'm leaning towards E to E .
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 01:46 PM

Have any of you guys tried the Yamaha G50 + pickup midi setup? Anyone know how it compares to the Roland?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 03:56 PM

The synth-axe which he uses all .008s on isn't actually a guitar. In fact, you don't even pluck the strings. In fact, it doesn't even have a synth pickup on it. It sends a small current down the strings, so when you push the strings down on the frets, the frets complete the circuit and it knows what fret you're playing. So it doesn't really matter how the strings are tuned.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 08:59 PM

trey azagthoth from Morbid Angel has a 7 string GK-2A for his custom 7 string ibanez
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 10:22 PM

Why not make a small "U" shaped channel that acts like a track, so you could slide the GK2 back and forth between the two positions? If you do it right, the pressure could be what holds the GK2 in place so that you just push it over. Or you could use pins to lock it in place through one or both of the mounting holes.

p.s. I will design and build it for one thousa..no, wait..two thousand dollars.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 03:16 AM

Good idea. Have you seen that one bass (that I conveniently forget who makes) that has one big pickup mounted on the bottom side (closest to the controls) that you can sweep all the way across to bridge or neck?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Why not make a small "U" shaped channel that acts like a track, so you could slide the GK2 back and forth between the two positions?
I'm not sure how that would work, because with the Roland synth you have to setup the sensitivity of each string within the synth itself, and this may get messed up if you suddenly changed strings (unless you were happy to re-calibrate the synth unit after each adjustment of the pickup). It may be fine, but just a thought. And if it's any help, I've always used a Gk2a on the top 6 strings (E-E), as most of the sounds you need on a synth I think tend to be higher (pads, melody lines, piano, etc). Also it's kind of irrelevant as you can setup each string differently for each patch on the synth (with regard to pitch), so if you want a patch with low notes then move the sound down an octave in the software and play it a bit higher - you then get the benefits of quicker tracking, but with the lower register.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 07:31 AM

Why don't you just get the Graphtech Ghost system? If I get a 7, it'll either be a Carvin DC727 with hardtail, an RG7321, or an imported RG15271 from Ishibashi.

Either way the thing is going to get taken right in to get the midi saddles put in. Then it won't look cheesy, and it'll track fast.

I plan to get this for graduation
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
Why don't you just get the Graphtech Ghost system?
Well, the problem with that is, the system is still only designed for 6-strings, so you have to combine the signal of two of your strings, which means you can't use them both at the same time.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 08:24 PM

I agree with Serratus, I was going to say that.

I'm going to get RMC saddles for the E to E strings on my seven [fixed bridge]. Also depending on your set up, Low notes may not sound as hi-fi through a guitar amp with synth sounds [depending on the sound your after and patch used]
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

I use a home high fi setup so my guitar synth sounds are clean and clear.
A 400w active sub and two behringer truth active monitors.
Also I run everything else thru these, my keyboards, vocals, bass...

That's a great idea of making a harness that allows you to move the GK2a saddle between positions.

Tags
allan holdsworth , fixed bridge , gauge strings , morbid angel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode