7-string Low-B thickness... - ...or thinness? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

7-string Low-B thickness... - ...or thinness?

I've only played a 7-string once in my life, but I have a few comments to make. *

1) In general, I love it, and the switch wasn't too hard. *I had no trouble reaching the B, but when I wanted to hit the E, I hit the B. *lol

2) People always talk about how the 7th string adds thickness to everything, but I found it made the E sound too wussy and not as heavy as on my 6-string. *Is it just me?

3) Everyone talks about how heavy the 7-string sounds, but I find that most peoples' 7-string tone is very trebly, where as I have a very heavy fat 6-string sound. *I'd love to be able to spend more time messing around on a 7-string just to see how heavy I could get it. *Anyone tried a seven with the bass and treble cranked and the mid about half way up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 10:12 PM

7-string Low-B thickness...

Which models have you tried? I'm having the same problem with the low e on my 7620 thats why I'm switching out the stock bridge pickup for a blaze.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 01:06 PM

It was a Squire Stagemaster 7 FR. *It's a 7-string, 2 hums, Floyd-Rose licensed bridge, overall not too bad for a $500 Canadian guitar. *It sounded and felt pretty good. *
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 09:56 PM

Hey twohands, I've played the Squire 7's and to be perfectly honest, they suck. *They are thin sounding crap guitars IMO. *Try out an Ibanez RG or UV, even the Washburn 7's sound better although the taper on the neck of the Washburn from nut to 24th fret is ridiculous. *It's so wide at the last fret it feels like a frickin classical.
A friend of mine just bought an Aria Pro 7 string, and even though I don't like Aria Pro guitars generally, this one played and sounded fairly good. *It's only $500 Canadian but you get a locking trem system too. *You don't get that on the Fender.
The Ibanez 7's seem to have closer string spacing than the other brands I've played and they definitly have flater necks which to me is way more comfortable. *Granted they are more expensive, but definitly worth the extra $$$'s
Jeremy
BTW, I'm viper from the steve vai club on yahoo
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 11:09 PM

Even if you try a "good" brand 7 like a UV or RG, and it still sounds like certain strings dont sound out fully, try adjusting the pole piece for that string. Given you probably wouldnt do this at a Guitar Center but if your trying a friends or...or I dunno it was just a suggestion.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 08:12 PM

hey twohands, I run my amp with the bass-10, mid-5, treble-9.5, and the guitar sounds very full and heavy. *However, with the mid up halfway, I get a really nice round tone.

Tags
bridge pickup , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode