7 String Pickup Question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

7 String Pickup Question

Okay, I'm finally ordering some DiMarzios for my RG2027. Do these need to be F-spaced? I don't know if the ALL the 7-string pickups from DiMarzio are automatically F-spaced or not. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 03:18 AM

7's only come in one spread so don't worry about it........
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 12:10 PM

ahh... that explains why the pickup i ordered that i forgot to have f-spaced looks like a perfect fit on my rg-7 Bit of a relief, that i'm not missing on that extra magic...

-drew
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Just picked up my 2027 from the shop with the new DiMarzios installed. I'll be checking it out tonight to hear the differences with the TZ7/AN7 combo. 5pm can't get here soon enough!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Well, nothing seems to go right the first time around. That's what I get for picking it up at my lunch break and not trying it out at the shop. The bridge position sounds great (the Tone Zone 7 is AMAZING!). But the Air Norton must be wired incorrectly. In the first position, it's too low in volume and very buzzy. I recall seeing a wiring diagram for changing out the pickups (maybe it was Kevan). Can anyone post a link? I tried a search, but some of the older links are no longer working. I want to be able to show my repairman how it SHOULD be with an actual diagram. Thanks!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Finally got it all squared away. Thanks to your help, I was able to get the proper wiring info to my tech and the guitar came back perfect! The Air Norton is VERY defined in the neck. I love how you can really hear the individual voices in complex chords. I tried a few hi-gain settings as well as clean and the tone just KILLS me. The TZ7 is equally impressive. I find it much easier to bring out pinch harmoncis with these pickups versus to stock. All in all, well worth the investment. I highly recommend it. And the silver pole-pieces look cool, too!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 02:17 PM

Yep, that's what i love about that pickup- you can REALLY hear the sound of the "string" through it; there's a very pronounced "growl" to individual notes played on the wound strings, it's very open and articulate. I've got a 2027 that ought to be arriving any time now with a PAF Pro in the neck, and i'm thinking of, depending on how the paf stands up, swapping it for the AN in my 7620. It's a killer pickup.

-Drew
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 09:45 PM

Reviews: 1
pups

The best combo I've tried is the tone zone 7 (bridge) and air norten 7 (neck). With the AN7 I get cleaner sounding cords and riffs when playing distorted. The paf pro sounded flat to me in that position, not quite as hot . The tone zone is of course the only pickup for the bridge position imop. Cant mess with perfection. Oh and I use an RG 7620.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 12:59 AM

I'm partial to the Evo7 for the bridge, but I'm with you guys on the AN7..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 11:42 PM

straight outta compton on the evo7 toshiro
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 01:35 AM

...weird....I found the Evo7 to be pretty lacking compared to the TZ. It's definetley more of a "flat frequency" sort of sound but it takes MUCH more work for me to get pinch harmonics out of my Evo7s than my TZ7.

However a final evaluation on my stage rig is slated for this week. I'm hoping I can eat my words on this...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 08:48 PM

Anybody played a PAF7 in the neck? I like a clearer, slightly single coilish kind of neck sound. The AN7 looks a bit dark. I haven't heared either.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd0x
Anybody played a PAF7 in the neck? I like a clearer, slightly single coilish kind of neck sound. The AN7 looks a bit dark. I haven't heared either.
I have it and i love it. paired with and Evo7 Neck in my UV777PBK.
Drop me an e-mail and i'll send you a song i wrote that uses it for part.

~K

Tags
air norton , bridge position , paf pro , pinch harmonics , string pickup , string pickups , tone zone , wiring diagram , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode