Ibanez JEM Forum banner

7 String Questions

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  webjunk 
#1 ·
I've recently become interested in owning an Ibanez 7 string.

I went and played one today at my local music store (RGD Axion label one) and was thoroughly thrown off by the low B. It felt like I was picking up a guitar for the first time, I felt so bad on it haha.

My questions are:

1. Scale length. I believe the RGD I played today was a 26.5" length. I didn't even notice it at the time but it felt fine. Is it important to have a longer scale 7 string? I only intend to use one mostly in B standard and perhaps drop A occasionally.

2. Looking for ideally a MIJ 7 string with maple fretboard and a hardtail (open to floating ones) bridge. Anyone point me in the direction of some potential model numbers?

Cheers.

#2 ·
Looks like quite a few views but no answers. Sometimes it just takes some google-fu to figure this out. Some places to start are the RG7620. It's a late 90's early 2000's model, but I haven't seen a decent price on one in awhile as anyone that has a MIJ Ibanez thinks they're "Rare" therefore expensive. The RG7400's are also MIJ, but don't have the Edge trem and can be found much cheaper.

The RGD's do have the longer scale. Some are affected by scale length and some aren't, but going up an inch changes things like where the bridge is located on the guitar so you may find it easier to stick with the 25.5" scale 7 strings. You will get more tension on the strings with the longer scale so you don't have to use really heavy strings to tune down, but drop A is not really tuning down. RGD's don't have nearly as many MIJ options and I'm not sure of the model numbers.

A newer RG752 is probably your best bet. Used in excellent condition they can be found for $1000-$1500.

#3 ·
Looks like quite a few views but no answers. Sometimes it just takes some google-fu to figure this out. Some places to start are the RG7620. It's a late 90's early 2000's model, but I haven't seen a decent price on one in awhile as anyone that has a MIJ Ibanez thinks they're "Rare" therefore expensive. The RG7400's are also MIJ, but don't have the Edge trem and can be found much cheaper.

The RGD's do have the longer scale. Some are affected by scale length and some aren't, but going up an inch changes things like where the bridge is located on the guitar so you may find it easier to stick with the 25.5" scale 7 strings. You will get more tension on the strings with the longer scale so you don't have to use really heavy strings to tune down, but drop A is not really tuning down. RGD's don't have nearly as many MIJ options and I'm not sure of the model numbers.

A newer RG752 is probably your best bet. Used in excellent condition they can be found for $1000-$1500.
Thanks! I use 10-46 gauge on 6-strings - I guess 25.5" length would be fine then. I do like the look of those 2019 RGD's though.

#5 ·
Different scale lengths will feel, and probably sound, different. By "different" I mean variations of good. ;)
If you have your heart set on a maple fretboard, fixed bridge, MIJ Ibanez 7-string, then 2019 is your year! As long as you like green. "IBANEZ RULES!!" - Ibanez Guitars - New and Used is probably the best place to start when looking at MIJ Ibanez guitars. With that said, if happen to find a used RG7620 that is reasonably priced, everyone who has ever owned one and sold it seems to have regretted it. They are solid guitars with all the good parts and none of the bad parts. With that said, Ibanez has made quite a few 7-strings of equal if not better quality since the RG7620 was discontinued. The only truly unique thing about the RG7620 is we can remember the model number. The modern day equivalent would be the RG752DSY; it's the yellow one just to be super clear. ;)

#6 ·
I got that 7 string bug a while back and bought one too... A bit cheaper, I bought an RG7421PB because I wasn't sure if I would get along with it. They can be found used very cheap on ebay or reverb, etc.

I still try to play it, just to give some honest effort, but it still feels very foreign in my hands. Over the weekend I tried playing it a bit, trying to play a song that has limited 7 string (tuned to drop A) rhythm in it. I've been playing it on a 6 string which works ok (key of Cm), but wanted to get that "proper" rhythm sound. Still very difficult physically, but feeling better the more I try it. Just not too comfortable and having trouble dialing in a good sound on that low string, even with an EQ which helps a lot. Kind of wish I had held out for a better one... as it may be the cheap pickups or funky poplar burl top that makes it sound dull. Makes a big difference how you structure chords on the low end too. I can't do longer than 25.5 scale guitars, but maybe the longer scale would help the flubby sound of that lower string?

Good luck!

#7 ·
I've recently become interested in owning an Ibanez 7 string.

I went and played one today at my local music store (RGD Axion label one) and was thoroughly thrown off by the low B. It felt like I was picking up a guitar for the first time, I felt so bad on it haha.
I had this exact thing happen when the Universe came out. I was a teen and dreamed of owning one. Then they got one in the local music store, I tried it out - and couldn't deal with the low B at all. I felt like a beginner again.
It wasn't until years later when I got a second hand RG7620 that I gave them a try again. Different outcome and I could play it a lot better. But mentally I have to tell myself it's not a seven string. Mentally I have to play them like a six string with a low B slapped on top. Once I made that mental separation it was a lot easier for me.
Good luck!

#8 ·
I have a RG7421PB like FireEagle above. Bought it in Nashville, kind of a whim. I have played higher-level 7-strings but have not found one I like better tho I have looked at a bunch. I like the 25.5" scale as its easier to switch from my regular guitars. The pickups sound great. The only issue I had was the bridge was not grounded. Had to take off the bridge, scrape off some paint on the bottom. Five minutes, easy fix.

Not everyone is comfortable with a 7 string. I know a couple of people who have owned them for years but still struggle. One friend bought it (he has two) to play live instead of switching instruments and it never feels right to him. His complaint I hear often is the neck feels twice as wide and the B string gets in the way. You do sometimes have to be careful to mute it when playing standard chords. I used mine on some gigs last year instead of my baritone (my RG7421 sounds better than either of my baritones) and as I played only rhythm with it I put masking tape over the top 3 strings. My hands just don't seem to be long enough to mute the top strings while playing the lower strings. As opposed to my friend who can't mute the low strings while playing leads.

If you are not sure you will be comfortable, I'd buy a used RG7421 or something else and see if it works for you. You can always get your money out or at least not lose much whether you don't like 7's or decide to get a better one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.